Buna playoffs??

Knox34

4 minutes ago, ah22 said:

Not very hard to figure out by reading this thread…..the fact that he would bring up disrespecting a veteran is very sad. I’m sure everyone on here is thankful for military service. That has nothing to do with one’s ability to coach basketball though

I see.

I agree with that last statement.

I also think Coach Wilson is a very good basketball coach.

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I see.

I agree with that last statement.

I also think Coach Wilson is a very good basketball coach.

Coach Wilson has been fantastic. I'd argue that Wilson is a BETTER coach than Whitmire, and that's no slight to Whitmire at all. He's a really good coach. If Buna misses the playoffs this season, it'll have everything to do with how tough the district has been this season.

I actually think both are really good coaches. Both have different styles and personalities but from what I have seen the kids play hard for both of them.  Personally after last season I didn't think we would be that competitive losing 3 starters and an average JV squad.  They are actually better than what I thought they were going to be.  That being said I guarantee they are a team that no one wants to play.

Once again I never said a bad word about coach Wilson. Any coach that hoots like an owl to call his defense I can get behind. My comment was more towards the school board and others that did run a great coach off. Maybe they learned their lesson and will keep this guy around 🤷🏻‍♂️  

7 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

Once again I never said a bad word about coach Wilson. Any coach that hoots like an owl to call his defense I can get behind. My comment was more towards the school board and others that did run a great coach off. Maybe they learned their lesson and will keep this guy around 🤷🏻‍♂️  

What school board members? I do know that there was a large turnover on the Buna school board at the last election. Of course, that would not have helped Whitmire since he left before then.

Well I’m assuming I’m the school board member that you are referring to. I can guarantee you that Mr. Whitmire employment  was never discussed from 2018-22. Hard to miss the playoffs when they take 4 teams. Buna had some talented teams from 2013- now, I’m sure I could have made the playoffs with them and I don’t know shit about basketball.

I would say a school board member bashing one of their head coaches on social media is a good start. I’m not saying you were right or you were wrong either. I’m saying most people that have a job and see that their superiors calling for their heads on a public forum probably start looking for a new job.  Right ? 

Are we supposed to believe that this was the only place you discussed your dissatisfaction about him? The point is the man was on the hot seat and wasn’t appreciated and left to go somewhere where he was. Right? I would think anybody else in the same situation that had other options available to them would probably do the same. We can call it looking for something new. We can say they parted ways. We can say whatever. Bottom line is he’s out and Buna might be out of playoffs. I don’t have a dog in the fight. Just curious what Buna fans thought about situation. 

3 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

Are we supposed to believe that this was the only place you discussed your dissatisfaction about him? The point is the man was on the hot seat and wasn’t appreciated and left to go somewhere where he was. Right? I would think anybody else in the same situation that had other options available to them would probably do the same. We can call it looking for something new. We can say they parted ways. We can say whatever. Bottom line is he’s out and Buna might be out of playoffs. I don’t have a dog in the fight. Just curious what Buna fans thought about situation. 

Well I had kids in his program for 8 years and wasn’t very impressed with him. You can message me or call and I’ll tell me my reasoning. Im not sure how much Buna basketball you have watched but I feel like we should have had more success then what we did. 

1 hour ago, TXHORN_ET said:

Realignment has a great deal to do with which teams will be one of the four to make the playoffs. Adding Orangefield to the mix made it much more difficult to secure that last spot in this district.

I thought the district was very tough last realignment when Woodville & Newton came over to the district .

Both of these guys can coach. I watched Brian take a Buna club to the playoffs against Woodville over at Kountze and beat a Woodville club that he probably shouldn’t have . 
Coach Wilson stepped in behind the scenes over at HJ when Coach Davis family was dealing with some very serious health issues and did an outstanding job. Buna has had the misfortune of being in the district with some good basketball schools over the years and this year there will be one pretty good club on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Best of luck to both coaches,  they are both good men and better role models. 

6 hours ago, Knox34 said:

I just don’t believe this to be true. Whitmire chose to leave. It didn’t have anything to do with any school board member. It may have had something to do with the previous AD, but that’s just a rumor. 

This is a tough district. Any 4-5 are good enough for playoffs yearly.  Yes there were FB post that were critical of Whitmire.  Made by parents. And maybe they were on school board or not.  Yes he had an opportunity to leave and took it.  Was he forced out ?  No.  Seems like he landed in a good spot for him.  Great guy.  Just hate in ended the way it did.  

16 hours ago, Waterboys said:

Well I had kids in his program for 8 years and wasn’t very impressed with him. You can message me or call and I’ll tell me my reasoning. Im not sure how much Buna basketball you have watched but I feel like we should have had more success then what we did. 

I think everyone would agree Joubert is a good coach.  Yet from 2014 through 2017, Whitmire had a winning record against Kountze and that was during the Arnold, Harper, Stanford era when Kountze basketball was at a really good place (not the apex of Lion basketball but certainly toward the top).  So I would, in fact, argue Whitmire did more with less.  And that is no slight on Wilson.  He was also a really good hire. But to try and downplay what Whitmire did at Buna shows either sour grapes or an extreme lack of knowledge of the game of basketball (or both).  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I think everyone would agree Joubert is a good coach.  Yet from 2014 through 2017, Whitmire had a winning record against Kountze and that was during the Arnold, Harper, Stanford era when Kountze basketball was at a really good place (not the apex of Lion basketball but certainly toward the top).  So I would, in fact, argue Whitmire did more with less.  And that is no slight on Wilson.  He was also a really good hire. But to try and downplay what Whitmire did at Buna shows either sour grapes or an extreme lack of knowledge of the game of basketball (or both).  

In 2013-14 they weren’t in district together, 14-15 Buna was loaded with Richardson and Edwards leading the way and went 1-2 against Kountze. Not sure of head to head after that but Grayland was gone in 2016. Stanford didn’t have much help and Buna had both Connell boys at that time. Whitmire treated both my boys great. One was all-state and the other was a fouling machine. 

7 minutes ago, Waterboys said:

In 2013-14 they weren’t in district together, 14-15 Buna was loaded with Richardson and Edwards leading the way and went 1-2 against Kountze. Not sure of head to head after that but Grayland was gone in 2016. Stanford didn’t have much help and Buna had both Connell boys at that time. Whitmire treated both my boys great. One was all-state and the other was a fouling machine. 

I was starting with 2014-15, when they went 1-2.  Buna was very good but they were not as good as the three headed monster at Kountze who went to state.  The next year with Arnold still there, Buna won one or both (I think they split but can only find the Buna win). The next year Buna won 2 of 3.  I don’t know what you define as much help but Kountze had arguably the best player on the floor (I would take TJ but there is certainly an argument for Remi) and probably the third and fourth best players in those games with Cole and Edwards. 

29 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

As you stated, Whitmire did more with less. From what I witnessed, he got every ounce out of those with less talent to step their game.

I’m sure Buna has won or lost games they should or shouldn’t have. That can be said of all schools. Where does the blame go, the coach.

Bottom line: Support your community, your kids, your school, your team, and your coach.

As The Beach Boys sang back in 1963,

Be True To Your School.

Good Luck to all.