Crosby vs Longview

Cougar14.2

Coach P gets to throw the kitchen sink this week. 

If you've watched Crosby before we always throw something at the defense that we haven't done before. I have a feeling it might be some two QB sets. Give them a look they will have never seen before and make the boys on the field have to figure it out. 

Unlike previous years we don't get to rev up in the playoffs we just have to hit the pedal and go. 

I expect if we win the flip we ask for the ball. 

I expect us to score on the first drive, we do a very good job of scripting that first drive. 

I think this game will all be about confidence. 

If the Lobos allow Crosby to get some early confidence then this will be a barn burner. However, there's also the possibility the Lobos just complete impose on Crosby. Crosby needs a fast start, and need to turn in into a shoot out because we are unlikely to be able to contain the Lobos running game

This feels worse than the Texas High game because we don't have the dynamic duo in the backfield this year nor do we have that defense this year. Crosby will have to play above their level of play this year and will have to score and not make mistakes. 

Crosby can score, we have excellent ability to mix, there is no singular point of focus that you can key on because we have 3 senior receivers that can make play, two runningbacks that can make plays, and probably the best TE we've had since like 08'. Z. George was the last time we had that kind of skill level at TE. 

Coach P has a little madness behind his play calling and offensive strategies in the playoffs. What other coach would have flipped their RB/WR in the playoffs? What other coach would have gone from 65% blitz rate against Texas High to less than 20% against FBM. I think we will have a great game plan and we have kids that believe they can beat Longview. Most teams don't think they can, Crosby legitimately thinks they'd be the 1 seed if they hadn't had so many injuries this year (it doesn't matter if that's true because the kids believe it.) 

That all being said the Lobos are a heavy heavy favorite. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

I like to think that there is some upset potential here. I think that if Crosby is truly healthy, it will be a shootout. Making the road trip isn't fun, but these kids know how to perform when the odds are against them. I hope that they can keep the game close and competitive. 

If Crosby turns this into a shootout, then our district and schedule is garbage.

27 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Just saw some video of #2, he may have 250 yards at the half rushing, geez!

Tatum? He's a beast.

Last season he struggled to stay healthy a sophomore. He was taking over in the playoffs, and I fully believe we beat Ryan if he didn't get injured in the 2nd quarter. DR literally could not stop him.

Glad we have him back for another year. He's going to set some records at Longview before he's done.

6 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Give them a look they will have never seen before and make the boys on the field have to figure it out.

This is a game I'm glad we have coach King. He's seen it all in his time here.

From Dez Bryant to Garrett Gilbert to John Hubert to Tanner Mordecai, etc etc. We've faced outstanding players over the years, but the coaches we've had to face off against is probably an even more impressive list. I fully believe King and his staff will have our boys ready to go.

Y'all would be smart to take the ball to start the game. I never understood the underdog kicking it off when your offense is your strength.

I expect the defense to take a series to lock things down, like they usually do, then go to work. Just glad Friday will be dry!!

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

This is a game I'm glad we have coach King. He's seen it all in his time here.

From Dez Bryant to Garrett Gilbert to John Hubert to Tanner Mordecai, etc etc. We've faced outstanding players over the years, but the coaches we've had to face off against is probably an even more impressive list. I fully believe King and his staff will have our boys ready to go.

Y'all would be smart to take the ball to start the game. I never understood the underdog kicking it off when your offense is your strength.

I expect the defense to take a series to lock things down, like they usually do, then go to work. Just glad Friday will be dry!!

Yea, I think the ability to manufacturer some points will be big if Crosby has any chance. That being said Crosby won't win this game by having the best player on the field that will likely be on the other side of the line of scrimmage so they need to make something happen. Fumbles, picks and tricks may make some puppies sick. 

3 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

On offense I have no idea how Crosby is going to generate points. 

Agreed. That's my biggest thing. I just don't see them scoring 30+ points like some are wishful in thinking will happen.

Tatum will have a field day, regardless of the selling out to stop the run. This season he has fully taken over. Jalen though will get his yards. He's too good of a player not to.

Excited for Friday to get here.

5A DI Region II Forney (7-3) Barbers Hill (7-3) Forney favored by 8
5A DI Region II Longview (10-0) Crosby (6-4) Longview favored by 39
5A DI Region II Lancaster (8-2) Humble Kingwood Park (7-3) Lancaster favored by 30
5A DI Region II Port Arthur Memorial (9-1) McKinney North (7-3) PA Memorial by 8

DCTF computer projections for 1st round of playoffs between Districts 7-5A DI and 8-5A DI.

31 minutes ago, PackAttack said:
5A DI Region II Forney (7-3) Barbers Hill (7-3) Forney favored by 8
5A DI Region II Longview (10-0) Crosby (6-4) Longview favored by 39
5A DI Region II Lancaster (8-2) Humble Kingwood Park (7-3) Lancaster favored by 30
5A DI Region II Port Arthur Memorial (9-1) McKinney North (7-3) PA Memorial by 8

DCTF computer projections for 1st round of playoffs between Districts 7-5A DI and 8-5A DI.

I wonder if they factored in the weather elements for that top game and bottom game.......... 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:34 PM, Kjetx07 said:

I agree mostly. But Crosby just gave up 42 points 2 weeks ago to a la Porte team that Longview would absolutely run out of the stadium. Unless they come out with a game plan similar to the one we saw against  Tyler to keep our offense off the field, i think there’s no way we don’t put up 40+

LP has gone back to the the running style that features many counters and traps and u don't know who has the ball not to mention LP had the best backs in the district, but no defense.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:40 AM, Cougtalk said:

Coach P gets to throw the kitchen sink this week. 

If you've watched Crosby before we always throw something at the defense that we haven't done before. I have a feeling it might be some two QB sets. Give them a look they will have never seen before and make the boys on the field have to figure it out. 

Unlike previous years we don't get to rev up in the playoffs we just have to hit the pedal and go. 

I expect if we win the flip we ask for the ball. 

I expect us to score on the first drive, we do a very good job of scripting that first drive. 

I think this game will all be about confidence. 

If the Lobos allow Crosby to get some early confidence then this will be a barn burner. However, there's also the possibility the Lobos just complete impose on Crosby. Crosby needs a fast start, and need to turn in into a shoot out because we are unlikely to be able to contain the Lobos running game

This feels worse than the Texas High game because we don't have the dynamic duo in the backfield this year nor do we have that defense this year. Crosby will have to play above their level of play this year and will have to score and not make mistakes. 

Crosby can score, we have excellent ability to mix, there is no singular point of focus that you can key on because we have 3 senior receivers that can make play, two runningbacks that can make plays, and probably the best TE we've had since like 08'. Z. George was the last time we had that kind of skill level at TE. 

Coach P has a little madness behind his play calling and offensive strategies in the playoffs. What other coach would have flipped their RB/WR in the playoffs? What other coach would have gone from 65% blitz rate against Texas High to less than 20% against FBM. I think we will have a great game plan and we have kids that believe they can beat Longview. Most teams don't think they can, Crosby legitimately thinks they'd be the 1 seed if they hadn't had so many injuries this year (it doesn't matter if that's true because the kids believe it.) 

That all being said the Lobos are a heavy heavy favorite. 

LOL

On 11/9/2022 at 3:59 AM, aledoalumni said:

Crosby might have to sell out to stop the run and that's going to open things up in the passing game. People from LV always talk about #8 but to me their most impressive player is #2, and it isn't even close. On offense I have no idea how Crosby is going to generate points. 

that’s what’s so great about having these 2 on the same offense. sell out on one & the other is going to have a career night.