Buna (27) @ East Chambers (42) - FINAL

jdawg03

1 hour ago, JimAdler said:

So is Buna Buna again or was EC just this good all along while everyone was saying it's a rebuilding year, as they returned 7/6 starters. 

Some people just have no clue.

HF, the only good team EC has played this year, beat them 41-0.  HF has 5 wins.  The 5 teams EC has beaten also have 5 wins.  Combined. EC is 5-1, with their 5 wins coming against teams with a combined 5-30 record (2 of their opponents played each other, so one was guaranteed to win or they would likely be 4-31).   EC’s current signature win is a 2-touchdown win over 2-5 Buna.  They’ve probably played the easiest schedule in the state to this point.  If EC had started their season this year with their first 6 opponents from last year, they’d like be 1-5, 2-4 at best.  It is what it is.  Nobody is saying EC is terrible, but they’re absolutely down from last year. 

1 minute ago, JimAdler said:

It's just not something people want to hear when you return that many starters and a 4yr starting qb.

Understandable.  The good news is, they have a ton of experience on that team.  And they ARE winning.  I’m not sure why they’re not playing at quite the same level as last year (apart from Caesar being gone), but they still have the potential to keep winning and finish with a good season.  They’re definitely going to have to play more like last year than they have this year if they’re going to avoid finishing third in the district, though 

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

Understandable.  The good news is, they have a ton of experience on that team.  And they ARE winning.  I’m not sure why they’re not playing at quite the same level as last year (apart from Caesar being gone), but they still have the potential to keep winning and finish with a good season.  They’re definitely going to have to play more like last year than they have this year if they’re going to avoid finishing third in the district, though 

Agreed.  It's an odd season thus far.  The only team that I truly feel like is very good is Silsbee.  Lumberton can be very good and HF continues to play above expectations.  LCM losing to Vidor last night probably has us all scratching our heads and I'm not certain AP is better than EC.  Orangefield when healthy is scary good for 3AD1. 

30 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

HF, the only good team EC has played this year, beat them 41-0.  HF has 5 wins.  The 5 teams EC has beaten also have 5 wins.  Combined. EC is 5-1, with their 5 wins coming against teams with a combined 5-30 record (2 of their opponents played each other, so one was guaranteed to win or they would likely be 4-31).   EC’s current signature win is a 2-touchdown win over 2-5 Buna.  They’ve probably played the easiest schedule in the state to this point.  If EC had started their season this year with their first 6 opponents from last year, they’d like be 1-5, 2-4 at best.  It is what it is.  Nobody is saying EC is terrible, but they’re absolutely down from last year. 

While I agree that EC may be down.. using the records of teams they’ve played isn’t always an accurate measuring stick.  Being a combined 5-30 could mean the same as a combined 30-5.  Maybe it means they’re good/bad.. or maybe it means that matchups caused various outcomes.

I just read comments all week of multiple people saying Buna would win this game. EC may be down but they’re still winning games.  Their lone loss coming to a talented HF team.  The same HF that was 20 or so yards away from losing to a 1-5 WOS team last night.  According to your thinking.. WOS should be included as a bad team.  But I watched them play last week and they have athletes everywhere.  You can’t speculate on “what ifs”.  Kids can only play who’s on their schedule and EC keeps winning.  I personally think they won’t stop OF and I’d bet they lose to Anahuac but who knows. I also thought Anahuac would run the table but I obviously miss sometimes.

28 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

While I agree that EC may be down.. using the records of teams they’ve played isn’t always an accurate measuring stick.  Being a combined 5-30 could mean the same as a combined 30-5.  Maybe it means they’re good/bad.. or maybe it means that matchups caused various outcomes.

I just read comments all week of multiple people saying Buna would win this game. EC may be down but they’re still winning games.  Their lone loss coming to a talented HF team.  The same HF that was 20 or so yards away from losing to a 1-5 WOS team last night.  According to your thinking.. WOS should be included as a bad team.  But I watched them play last week and they have athletes everywhere.  You can’t speculate on “what ifs”.  Kids can only play who’s on their schedule and EC keeps winning.  I personally think they won’t stop OF and I’d bet they lose to Anahuac but who knows. I also thought Anahuac would run the table but I obviously miss sometimes.

WOS is 3-4

38 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yup, what AAW said.  WOS is 3-4, with one of the tougher schedules in the state so far.  And 5-30 will never be comparable to 30-5.  I get the point that 5-30 against better opponents is not the same as 5-30 against good opponents, but EC’s opponents have lost to plenty of average and bad teams.  EC has obviously beaten the very easy opponents in front of them, but not by the margins they would’ve in previous years, and a 41 point loss to HF is unheard of.  Thus, they are down this year compared to last year.  I picked them to beat Buna, for what it’s worth.  

2 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

I think we will all have a better pulse on this "not as strong" ec team after next Friday vs Anahuac....so let's discuss this again in 6 days. 

2 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

I think we will all have a better pulse on this "not as strong" ec team after next Friday vs Anahuac....so let's discuss this again in 6 days. 

Anahauc hasn’t been playing as good lately I guess it’s because Landon Corbin been hurt . He started in the Kirbyville game but came out because he is still hurt . 

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I knew that.  Not sure why is said 1-5.. point remains.  Losing record but they’re still a good team.  Missing what they had but still loaded.

And it’s a valid point, but the teams with losing records on the schedule in question are not.  One or two might be almost decent.  

On the defensive side of the ball, look for these returning players to make a big impact on defense this year

Derek Gaines-DL-Sr, Juan Palacios-DL-Sr, Payton Anderson-DB-Sr, Will Kash-DL-Jr, Garrett Reves-DE-Jr, Jacoby Perrault-DB-Sr

Newcomer(s) poised to breakout in 2022 for the Buccaneers include:

Spencer Schepf-LB-Sr, Darius Green-DB-Sr, Chris West-DB-Sr .

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Just stating what the coach tells me.

This was told to me in August during a scrimmage.

This is accurate.  Plus it reads returning players not starters, yes that seems picky until you do a deeper dive.  Some of those names may have started on the other side of the ball or have been a 2nd teamer last year. 

That level (3A) can get interesting with position movement from one year to the next.