Buna HC reassigned

PhatMack19

On 9/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, Balanor said:

And when a coach is telling his kids to "hurry hurry hurry, run run, line up" on a running clock, up 30+ points just to score a 2 point conversion after a touchdown with 12 seconds left, that's trying to "run it up".  Convince me otherwise, please.

I mean I think it’s called football. As you seen all the backups was in the game I guess they don’t deserve to play. I heard y’all was cussing at the kids on y’all team and trash talking after they was trying to shake hands just sayin

2 hours ago, Cougars63 said:

I mean I think it’s called football. As you seen all the backups was in the game I guess they don’t deserve to play. I heard y’all was cussing at the kids on y’all team and trash talking after they was trying to shake hands just sayin

Is this the youth football game or high school game? 

9 hours ago, Cougars63 said:

Since you think you know all about it...There is no "yall" here.  I was watching the game because a co-worker invited me that is FROM Buna and since I am from the area I attended. I asked why don't they run out the clock and he just looked at me and shrugged. 

1 hour ago, Balanor said:

Since you think you know all about it...There is no "yall" here.  I was watching the game because a co-worker invited me that is FROM Buna and since I am from the area I attended. I asked why don't they run out the clock and he just looked at me and shrugged. 

Do you believe that backups should just run out the clock when they get in?  Despite that fact that they may rarely get the chance to play otherwise despite practicing/preparing just as much as the chosen starters.  I'm curious.

I wasn't at the game nor do I know.. but if the backups were in, they deserve to be coached with the same intensity and just the same as the starters in a game situation.  It is truly absurd to me to believe that when backups finally get to go in.. that it's even a suggestion for them to play/perform any less than the starters are expected to begin the game or for the clock to just keep running.

This isn't little league.  If someone feels like they can't stop a bunch of backups from "running it up" then either schedule better or prepare better.  

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Do you believe that backups should just run out the clock when they get in?  Despite that fact that they may rarely get the chance to play otherwise despite practicing/preparing just as much as the chosen starters.  I'm curious.

I wasn't at the game nor do I know.. but if the backups were in, they deserve to be coached with the same intensity and just the same as the starters in a game situation.  It is truly absurd to me to believe that when backups finally get to go in.. that it's even a suggestion for them to play/perform any less than the starters are expected to begin the game or for the clock to just keep running.

This isn't little league.  If someone feels like they can't stop a bunch of backups from "running it up" then either schedule better or prepare better.  

That's the point. He is talking about a youth league game. Why he chose to talk about it in this high school game thread is the question.

He never really clarified his first post about it being a youth league game. That's what has confused everyone.

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's the point. He is talking about a youth league game. Why he chose to talk about it in this high school game thread is the question.

He never really clarified his first post about it being a youth league game. That's what has confused everyone.

Then I retract the aggressiveness in my tone.

My point, however, remains in that case in high school games and up.  Probably even junior high games. Backups deserve the same level/style of coaching as the starters get at the beginning of the game.  Coach them just as hard and with the same intention of reaching maximum success.

"Running it up" is one of my most hated comments if/when a team has already removed the starters.  The backups are supposed to lay down because the starters gave them a huge lead? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Then I retract the aggressiveness in my tone.

My point, however, remains in that case in high school games and up.  Probably even junior high games. Backups deserve the same level/style of coaching as the starters get at the beginning of the game.  Coach them just as hard and with the same intention of reaching maximum success.

"Running it up" is one of my most hated comments if/when a team has already removed the starters.  The backups are supposed to lay down because the starters gave them a huge lead? I don't think so.

I tend to agree. Back ups deserve the chance to show themselves.

What I don't care for is particular situations like a coach calling timeout with 10 seconds left, leading by 50, just to try and score again. Or running a hurry up offense in the last minute (contrary to what they had been doing) to try and score again. Or going for it on 4th and 15 in their own territory leading by 40+. Or throwing every down, routes to the sidelines, to try and stop the clock under a minute to go leading by 30+. Those type decisions are totally unnecessary. And yes, I have seen these situations with my own eyes.

If the backups are running the base offense and the other team just can't stop them, then that's on the other team.

57 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I tend to agree. Back ups deserve the chance to show themselves.

What I don't care for is particular situations like a coach calling timeout with 10 seconds left, leading by 50, just to try and score again. Or running a hurry up offense in the last minute (contrary to what they had been doing) to try and score again. Or going for it on 4th and 15 in their own territory leading by 40+. Or throwing every down, routes to the sidelines, to try and stop the clock under a minute to go leading by 30+. Those type decisions are totally unnecessary. And yes, I have seen these situations with my own eyes.

If the backups are running the base offense and the other team just can't stop them, then that's on the other team.

Obviously there are exceptions.  The scenarios you just mentioned would certainly qualify as unnecessary... regardless of who's in.  And as much as I defend coaches on this very site and otherwise, I wouldn't be able to defend much of that.  So I wouldn't try.

On the contrary, I've seen numerous circumstances of fans complaining of having the score "ran up" on them for simply not stopping at the point when the game was already out of hand.  Implying that either the backups should not play hard or the clock should run.  That's where I disagree.  I am definitely with you on the examples provided.  Onside kicks and fake punts could be added as unnecessary.  The throwing?  Maybe not every down but if it's a majority throwing offense and the backup is in I would want them to get some reps in case the first choice ever went down.  I wouldn't want my backup quarterback of a spread offense, majority passing scheme to go in and hand the ball  off a bunch of times in order to burn clock.

I’ll say this and it was kinda mentioned earlier… I don’t wanna hear anyone from Kountze getting upset about another team scoring too much lol As a Kountze alumni I’ve seen some basketball games over the last 20 years that Kountze exactly didn’t take the foot off the pedal… Matter of fact I think one was against Buna where Kountze won by like 60-70 lol

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

I’ll say this and it was kinda mentioned earlier… I don’t wanna hear anyone from Kountze getting upset about another team scoring too much lol As a Kountze alumni I’ve seen some basketball games over the last 20 years that Kountze exactly didn’t take the foot off the pedal… Matter of fact I think one was against Buna where Kountze won by like 60-70 lol

Like I mentioned... their style of play for those games meant that even the backups were going to play all out for 94 feet.  Taking the starters out was 100% taking the foot off the pedal.