Evadale vs. Hardin

Godzilla

Evadale vs. Hardin  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who y'all got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2022 at 05:00 PM

1 hour ago, JimAdler said:

I dont know who will win this game, but I can tell you, if Hardin does not win this game, it will be 0-10 for those Hornets.

Can't say I disagree.  Don't they have HD on the schedule?  I'm not yet convinced Hardin loses that one.. but they better get this one either way.

Coincidentally, I think the former head coach made a decent decision with the departure.

12 minutes ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

Better not lose to a small 2A D-2…

Enrollment usually means a lot.  Keep in mind that many schools in SeTx have much fewer kids in athletics than schools with much smaller high school enrollments in other parts of the state.  Which is why I don't put a lot of stock in it sometimes.  It's about comparable levels of talent per the number of kids PLAYING.  

10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Can't say I disagree.  Don't they have HD on the schedule?  I'm not yet convinced Hardin loses that one.. but they better get this one either way.

Coincidentally, I think the former head coach made a decent decision with the departure.

I agree, think he got himself (and his boy) out at just the right time

9 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I agree, think he got himself (and his boy) out at just the right time

History shows us that there is rarely a wrong time to depart from this school.  It seems to be a "let me get a year or 2 of HFC on the resume" and leave.  The community usually never allows for more than that anyway.

21 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

History shows us that there is rarely a wrong time to depart from this school.  It seems to be a "let me get a year or 2 of HFC on the resume" and leave.  The community usually never allows for more than that anyway.

No community in southeast Texas does, at least not at the lower levels.  It's make the playoffs now, play my kid, or I will get you fired.

1 minute ago, JimAdler said:

No community in southeast Texas does, at least not at the lower levels.  It's make the playoffs now, play my kid, or I will get you fired.

That's part of the reason that schools that are bad.. will continue to be bad.  Consistency is key.  And admitting reality is also key.  When you don't have the horses, you don't have the horses.  Still gotta leave the head guy alone so they can at least try to change a culture.  How's that even possible if the 7th graders have 2/3/4/5 different systems before they reach senior year?  It's worse when you actually get someone that would like to stay and build.  That's rare enough for small schools.

But.. I'm perfectly aware of how things work.  Instant gratification mentality. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's part of the reason that schools that are bad.. will continue to be bad.  Consistency is key.  And admitting reality is also key.  When you don't have the horses, you don't have the horses.  Still gotta leave the head guy alone so they can at least try to change a culture.  How's that even possible if the 7th graders have 2/3/4/5 different systems before they reach senior year?  It's worse when you actually get someone that would like to stay and build.  That's rare enough for small schools.

But.. I'm perfectly aware of how things work.  Instant gratification mentality. 

You can't build it without the studs, no matter how long a coach is willing to stay.  And lets all agree, there are none.  Tell me one place in all of southeast Texas where a coach stayed 10+ years........how's his program doing?  Are they winning playoff games, or is he just winning in his crappy district ?  And if he's winning, does he have studs or is he getting the most out of inferior talent? 

I'll wait.........

11 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

You can't build it without the studs, no matter how long a coach is willing to stay.  And lets all agree, there are none.  Tell me one place in all of southeast Texas where a coach stayed 10+ years........how's his program doing?  Are they winning playoff games, or is he just winning in his crappy district ?  And if he's winning, does he have studs or is he getting the most out of inferior talent? 

I'll wait.........

Josh Smalley   Orangefield

13 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

I'll wait.........

You can't win without talent.. or.. a weak schedule.  But playoff wins won't happen without players.  

Newton and WOS both had coaches of 10+ years previously.  We're familiar with how that went.  Still.. it has been argued on this very site by me that even those schools had excessive amounts of talent.  Good players usually make coaches look good.  Not to say that their coaches weren't good.  I just believe that those same coaches couldn't have gone just anyway and had similar success.

Having said that. I'm still 100% confident that a team will not reach any sort of potential by shuffling head coaches through like underwear.  There has to be a level of consistency.  Even if it's for just 4-5 years.  

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

You can't win without talent.. or.. a weak schedule.  But playoff wins won't happen without players.  

Newton and WOS both had coaches of 10+ years previously.  We're familiar with how that went.  Still.. it has been argued on this very site by me that even those schools had excessive amounts of talent.  Good players usually make coaches look good.  Not to say that their coaches weren't good.  I just believe that those same coaches couldn't have gone just anyway and had similar success.

Having said that. I'm still 100% confident that a team will not reach any sort of potential by shuffling head coaches through like underwear.  There has to be a level of consistency.  Even if it's for just 4-5 years.  

That said, who do you think Hardin gets WINS against this year ?

20 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

That said, who do you think Hardin gets WINS against this year ?

I'm already 0-1 on what I originally thought.. I figured they'd beat Warren but I guess they're worse off than expected.

I'll give this week a coinflip.. but if I had to bet, I'd probably choose Evadale in a close one.  That Warren loss destroyed any confidence I had in picking the Hornets.  And if Evadale wins then I'd probably think Tarkington gets them in district.. hence closing any hope in a district win.  Didn't they beat Kville last year?  I don't see that happening again.  And depending on who they have after Anahuac, WV, EC, and OF.. they may be a little beat up.

Before the season I would've said they get 4 wins.  Warren, Eva, HD, and probably Tark.  Now... I'm saying I honestly don't know.

It's early to predict after just one game but I'd bet they beat HD and nobody else.  This week is an important game IMO.  This entire post is opinion.. I hope for their sake that I'm wrong.