2022 LAMAR FOOTBALL

KF89

15 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Does Lamar play football? They lost to Mc Neese today. Major Bowden had a KO return. The former QB from China Spring's championship team. How do they manage to get talent and not win. Finished up 1-10. Coaches 3rd season. How long?

Yes, total record over 3 years is 5-23 including the 2-4 covid season.  Hard to be interested in a program that is always a loser and basically not competitive at all.

If Lamar wants the football program to survive they have an opportunity to do the right thing.  The right thing is to take their time and do their due diligence and find the best coach possible.  But, like I've always said, there are no guarantees!  But, if you make rush judgments or buddy deals then those will surely guarantee sad fans!

If Lamar wants to hire a good coach they will have to open up their pocketbook and upgrade the salary to somewhere in the $350,000 to $400,00 or more in my opinion. I know that's not going to bring in the top coaches but it will peak the interest of some young up and coming guru who has been successful as a coordinator in DII or other divisions. With what they pay now is why they can't bring anybody other than these guys that say they have coached before but Junior League shouldn't count. The guys they bring in don't know anything about this area and don't recruit it. They need to bring in somebody that knows the area and gives the athletes around here an incentive to stay home. There's not much to do in this area but if you put a winning team on  the field, a lot of area talent would probably stay home. Barbay probably doesn't want it because he is probably making more as an assistant where he is. I don't think Briles would even sniff at it. I've heard someone mention Dodge but that's not going to happen either. He's happy and will not stoop down to the level Lamar is at right now. He did that once before at North Texas and that didn't end well. I think he would elevate the program but it won't happen. Hopefully this new AD will convince administration to fork out more money and bring in somebody that can bring this program to new levels and bring community interest back to Lamar sports.

Who ever Lamar brings in must have Texas ties, coached here knows there way around the state good relationship with hs coaches, and promise to recruit this area better.

I know everyone wants to open up the pocketbook for the head coach but dont forget it takes a village, they need to pay those coordinators and assistant coaches as well.. 

55 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Who ever Lamar brings in must have Texas ties, coached here knows there way around the state good relationship with hs coaches, and promise to recruit this area better.

I know everyone wants to open up the pocketbook for the head coach but dont forget it takes a village, they need to pay those coordinators and assistant coaches as well.. 

There is not enough top talent in this area to win with. Straight from a former Lamar recruiter and a Coordinator’s mouth. 

57 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

They have the money to still pay the coordinators as well as other coaches. They just chose not to give anymore money to the athletic department then they already do. Look at Vincent Beck. That place is in dire need of a major upgrade. They need a new locker room with a coaches office in the actual building itself. The bathrooms are definitely need upgrading. If they only realized that if you have successful programs that the money will come back because people around here will go and support them. Nobody wants to go pay money to watch your hometown team get their arse kicked day in and day out.

11 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

There is not enough top talent in this area to win with. Straight from a former Lamar recruiter and a Coordinator’s mouth. 

I understand there is not enough talent around here to win with. But there is talent here that are going other places that are not recruited by Lamar. I'm not talking about the top tier 5* or 4* athletes but there are some very good 3* athletes that are going off to McNesse, SFA, Sam Houston, Mary Hardin Baylor, ULL and other schools the same level as Lamar that they could keep home. Yes, I unerstand they need to recruit other places as well but if you keep local talent from going away then that puts fans in the seats because family and friends will come to see them play. Which means increased attendance which in turn brings in more money for the school. 

8 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

I understand there is not enough talent around here to win with. But there is talent here that are going other places that are not recruited by Lamar. I'm not talking about the top tier 5* or 4* athletes but there are some very good 3* athletes that are going off to McNesse, SFA, Sam Houston, Mary Hardin Baylor, ULL and other schools the same level as Lamar that they could keep home. Yes, I unerstand they need to recruit other places as well but if you keep local talent from going away then that puts fans in the seats because family and friends will come to see them play. Which means increased attendance which in turn brings in more money for the school. 

I don’t disagree with that one bit. That’s why I asked them about local recruiting. The problem (according to them) is the following:

1. Lamar has a horrible W-L ratio. There are better options for local talent 

2. Kids can go to those schools you mentioned above, still be relatively close to home, but get the “away from home” college experience (the first 2 reasons are why my son went to Mary-Hardin Baylor and won a National Championship with them last year)

3. You would need to recruit an entire local team to get even a few hundred extra people in the stands

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

I disagree. I don’t even like one of them, but he’s a great coach. You can’t ask a carpenter to build a house with hopes and dreams. Gotta have the right tools & materials to build a house, no matter how good the plans are. 

They didn’t even offer Fuselier and he ended being a star… not saying the whole team needs to be from setx but just 1 or 2 recruits from local area is not cutting it. 

31 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

They didn’t even offer Fuselier and he ended being a star… not saying the whole team needs to be from setx but just 1 or 2 recruits from local area is not cutting it. 

Once again, I don’t disagree. That sounds like a mistake to me. On a bright note, he can walk-on, prove himself and get a scholarship that way. That’s how I did it.