2022 Vidor Pirates

Unwoke

1 hour ago, astros4141078 said:

No brother settling for mediocrity is you take montana out of vidor we have zero playoff wins this isn't a 1 yr thing and if you don't see that I can't help you like I said on another post most vidorians can't see the truth through there black and gold glasses

Just For discussion sake…what would you do differently with the kids you saw playing last night? Different offense? Different Defensive Scheme? The floor is yours.

2 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Just For discussion sake…what would you do differently with the kids you saw playing last night? Different offense? Different Defensive Scheme? The floor is yours.

Here's the deal silsbee was the better team regardless, but not developing qbs is a joke every year we try someone new at qb that has never played it before so they are learning the offense on the fly so we are basic watch other slot T offenses they run misdirection not us, the tackling was awful last night that can be fixed. But our off-season is solely based on conditioning and training like navy seals the kids don't bulk up at all we get pushed around and it shows, nothing will change until something changes

Unwoke, here is a change I would make. We moved our best defensive player to qb. I'm not saying he is a bad qb, not at all. Kid is 110% every play. But, with him at qb we lose him at linebacker. It is a huge loss on defense. I dont think his upside at qb is worth losing him at linebacker.   Odom is a BEAST at linebacker. Teamwise we are much better with him on defense. He is 1 of the best linebackers we've ever had. Ain't no way he shouldn't playing in the middle of that defense

27 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

Here's the deal silsbee was the better team regardless, but not developing qbs is a joke every year we try someone new at qb that has never played it before so they are learning the offense on the fly so we are basic watch other slot T offenses they run misdirection not us, the tackling was awful last night that can be fixed. But our off-season is solely based on conditioning and training like navy seals the kids don't bulk up at all we get pushed around and it shows, nothing will change until something changes

You make some valid points but I disagree with you on the bulking up. My son plays on the Freshman team. He tells me what they do for conditioning at School, an it’s workouts that help put on bulk. A lot of the kids take creatinine in moderation to help bulk up. He’s put almost 30 lbs on his frame since last year at this time with most of it being muscle. Of course he’s at that age of growing but he works his tail off to get bigger,stronger and faster. Whatever he doesn’t feel like he gets at school he goes to our 24 hr fitness gym we belong to an puts in extra work. There’s always other kids up there putting in the extra work from freshman to JV to Varsity football players. So I disagree on the conditioning part. 

At the end of the day I think the coaches are trying to do the best with what they got. I definitely don’t have all the answers that’s why I am not a coach. 

Improvement can be made on tackling, taking proper angles to make the tackles, blockers staying on their blocks till the sound of the whistle and being disciplined on false starts.

Other than that they just have to learn from last night and keep working hard. I know it’s hard to watch sometimes.

16 minutes ago, VPATH said:

Unwoke, here is a change I would make. We moved our best defensive player to qb. I'm not saying he is a bad qb, not at all. Kid is 110% every play. But, with him at qb we lose him at linebacker. It is a huge loss on defense. I dont think his upside at qb is worth losing him at linebacker.   Odom is a BEAST at linebacker. Teamwise we are much better with him on defense. He is 1 of the best linebackers we've ever had. Ain't no way he shouldn't playing in the middle of that defense

Valid point, an maybe the coaches will see that. Maybe after last night they’ll be changes. But you have to remember that was his first start at QB since Junior High an it was against a team that I believe will go deep in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

You make some valid points but I disagree with you on the bulking up. My son plays on the Freshman team. He tells me what they do for conditioning at School, an it’s workouts that help put on bulk. A lot of the kids take creatinine in moderation to help bulk up. He’s put almost 30 lbs on his frame since last year at this time with most of it being muscle. Of course he’s at that age of growing but he works his tail off to get bigger,stronger and faster. Whatever he doesn’t feel like he gets at school he goes to our 24 hr fitness gym we belong to an puts in extra work. There’s always other kids up there putting in the extra work from freshman to JV to Varsity football players. So I disagree on the conditioning part. 

At the end of the day I think the coaches are trying to do the best with what they got. I definitely don’t have all the answers that’s why I am not a coach. 

Improvement can be made on tackling, taking proper angles to make the tackles, blockers staying on their blocks till the sound of the whistle and being disciplined on false starts.

Other than that they just have to learn from last night and keep working hard. I know it’s hard to watch sometimes.

Well I just see it as a whole we don't have kids that bulk up, is there some exceptions to the rule absolutely there are I just personally don't think football players should train like navy seals and cross fit guys maybe I am wrong I sit in the stands also, but I also believe the lack of effort last night was awful maybe they can fix that with some but that is not a good sign

6 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

Well I just see it as a whole we don't have kids that bulk up, is there some exceptions to the rule absolutely there are I just personally don't think football players should train like navy seals and cross fit guys maybe I am wrong I sit in the stands also, but I also believe the lack of effort last night was awful maybe they can fix that with some but that is not a good sign

Effort and Execution is fixable, hopefully they can make the adjustments necessary to compete. Silsbee has multiple D1 players on that team. You sprinkle in multiple D1 players on Vidors team an we’re probably not having this discussion.

1 hour ago, Unwoke said:

It’s a fan problem. Every oh so called fan, supporter would make a better coach, have a better offensive and defensive philosophy, and could more out of the kids. 

18 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

It’s a fan problem. Every oh so called fan, supporter would make a better coach, have a better offensive and defensive philosophy, and could more out of the kids. 

No it's not a fan problem. I'm betting you didnt go to either scrimmage or the game last night......if you would have went then you would see what astros is talking about.....take off your blinders and go watch a game. 

2 hours ago, VPATH said:

That was my thought too, the defense looked like one of the worst Vidor has had in a long time. It’s supposed to be our strong suit, their best chance may be to go back to the old tried and true. Stack the defense with all of the best players and try to keep games close. Wouldn’t have mattered last night but maybe in the future. Who we got at JV quarterback lol I’m already looking at moving youngsters up.

1 hour ago, VPATH said:

No it's not a fan problem. I'm betting you didnt go to either scrimmage or the game last night......if you would have went then you would see what astros is talking about.....take off your blinders and go watch a game. 

Been to more games than you can imagine. In the stands and on the sidelines… and no I didn’t not make the game but watched every snap on texanlive.  Also, ran into a Coach last night that was scouting both teams…and I quote…”I wish our program was ran the way Mathews runs Vidor. He gets more out of those kids than any coach in the state! And I’ve been around coaching for 30+ years” do I have blinders on…possibly, but I stand by what I said. If you or any other so called fan, supporter, resident think they can do a better job…fill out the application! If not sit down and stfu! 😉

31 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

Been to more games than you can imagine. In the stands and on the sidelines… and no I didn’t not make the game but watched every snap on texanlive.  Also, ran into a Coach last night that was scouting both teams…and I quote…”I wish our program was ran the way Mathews runs Vidor. He gets more out of those kids than any coach in the state! And I’ve been around coaching for 30+ years” do I have blinders on…possibly, but I stand by what I said. If you or any other so called fan, supporter, resident think they can do a better job…fill out the application! If not sit down and stfu! 😉

Yep you have blinders on... so you're saying that in Vidor the coaches get the most out of the kids, more than an other coach in the state.   So the problem must be the kids. You're saying it's not coaches so must be  the kids fault.  So tired of hearing that crap from faithful fans like yourself. I think we have talent in Vidor and have for a few years. Maybe we are misusing that talent. 

You say we are getting the most out of the kids.....b. s. I'm not buying. Put your drink down,  take off your blinders and go watch a game....and I promise you I've seen as many or more Pirate games as you. Must have been a heckuva situation last  night. You watched the Pirate's on texanlive and ran into a Coach scouting both teams. Was he watching with you.....done with you dude. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

1 hour ago, PirateNole984 said:

I tell you what ask your mom if it would be ok if you go to the game Friday night and we can watch it together, and about another coach aspiring to be the vidor program what is that 500 winning percentage and a round 1 exit every other decent school in the area that gets you let go, but not in vidor we are losers so any little success is treated like a super bowl win. I like the coach think he is a great guy, and motivator but x's and o's not so much. Why cant people that just call it like they see it be right sometimes 

Let’s remember this was just one game. The first game of the season. I don’t have blinders on. I see it for what it is an who they are.  Does anyone really think Vidor going to a spread offense that just about every team in the state of Texas runs an defends would do better?  I think not. Ran correctly with the right personnel this offense can be effective but you have to have a decent defense to go with it. Vidors defense has always been pretty decent over the years but last night was not typical Pirate Defense. I’ll say it again. Silsbee is a Solid team that will go deep in the playoffs imo. Let’s see how they respond next week. I truly haven’t heard any solutions except maybe some tweaking on player movement other than that all I’ve heard is I am sick of being mediocre and we have the talent…we’ll then tell us what you’d do with that talent?

On 8/27/2022 at 10:11 AM, Unwoke said:

Effort and Execution is fixable, hopefully they can make the adjustments necessary to compete. Silsbee has multiple D1 players on that team. You sprinkle in multiple D1 players on Vidors team an we’re probably not having this discussion.

FYI, Silsbee currently has one DI player on the roster (Miller). There are others that will play some college ball (FCS, DII, NAIA, Juco) but Miller is the only player receiving DI offers.

14 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

FYI, Silsbee currently has one DI player on the roster (Miller). There are others that will play some college ball (FCS, DII, NAIA, Juco) but Miller is the only player receiving DI offers.

We’ll then I was misinformed. Y’all have 4 next level players. Lol. Not a bad problem to have for a small 4a school. Thank You for the correction. 

42 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That you know of. Martin has been contacted by some D1 schools. No offers. But promising. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Vidor doesn't have the athletes to run the spread but Lumberton does🤣🤣😂😅😆......................................and they figured it out in less than one year😃🤭

And Vidor  usually beats Lumberton on a regular basis so what’s your point.😂