DCTF 5A-D1 Pre-season Top 10

6 hours ago, CCRed said:

I think that is a bold prediction for Crosby to be ranked that high with the smallest enrollment number in all of 5a D1. 

I kind of thought so too but for example, who out of 7-9 would you for sure out in front of us? You knew Consol. was going to be good because they had a freshman QB and sophomore RBs when we played them last year but they also lost some of those huge trench guys that gave us issues.

Results are a direct product of your play so you can’t say there should’ve been an alternative outcome in the Manvel game but you’re probably one of the ones that walked out of Randal Reed thinking “There’s not a lot of daylight between these two teams, if any?”. They lost both RBs and a bunch of Power 5 kids on defense. 

Not too many years ago we used to complain about be disrespected and overlooked, for better or worse I think we’re getting the benefit of the doubt now. 

That’s the issue. Y’all looking for smoke when you should actually be pulling the fire alarm. PAM is like a lot of those Crosby teams 5-10 years ago. Y’all like to run fast and look pretty. You can win a lot of games like that, especially with the level of athletes y’all have at the skill positions but you’re still going to struggle with teams like Crosby that are going to walk right through your kitchen. Two things that were easy to identify in last year’s game were that Crosby was better coached and also the more physical team. 

They’re solid programs but I don’t think  Ned and PNG do anything for y’all in terms of preparation for making a 3+ round run in 5A-D1. PAM should be able to out-athlete those teams and win on talent alone. You’re not going to beat Crosby or several other teams in our new region with that approach though.

I’m glad we get to play PAM when we do. The district is weaker than the 5A-D2 district we’ve played in the last two years but PAM is a good replacement for the athleticism and physicality we saw from Texas City in district play the last couple of seasons. Playing on the other side of the bracket from the #2 position PAM would have the easier route to a regional final. Let’s see if Crosby can get through Longview and possibly meet y’all there? 

On 7/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

I kind of thought so too but for example, who out of 7-9 would you for sure out in front of us? You knew Consol. was going to be good because they had a freshman QB and sophomore RBs when we played them last year but they also lost some of those huge trench guys that gave us issues.

Results are a direct product of your play so you can’t say there should’ve been an alternative outcome in the Manvel game but you’re probably one of the ones that walked out of Randal Reed thinking “There’s not a lot of daylight between these two teams, if any?”. They lost both RBs and a bunch of Power 5 kids on defense. 

Not too many years ago we used to complain about be disrespected and overlooked, for better or worse I think we’re getting the benefit of the doubt now. 

I like it better when we're disrespected. For whatever reason when those kids show up with a chip on their shoulders it produces great results. As far as rankings I think we have talent at the skill positions to compete with anyone in 5A. Its the trenches that I have questions about. Definitely gonna know by week 2 

14 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I personally feel College Station, Manvel and Tascosa are way over-ranked...Tascosa is going to struggle to make the playoffs IMO this year...that district they are in is brutal

I think Tascosa is a little over-ranked but I would still put them there over say, Cooper. Manvel is going to get beat down pretty soundly against Shadow Creek but they might not lose another game on their schedule before the 3rd round. They don't bring back a lot of starters but they play so many kids during the course of the year that it somewhat mitigates that. They should have improved QB play from their second year starter and they do better at re-stocking trench guys that any 5A program in the Houston area. I think if anything bites them it will be that they graduated their top 3 running backs. 

College Station lost probably their best QB in school history but Marquise Collins is so freaking good that I think you have to still give them the benefit of the doubt until the Temple game. Everybody knew he was getting it and he still rushed for almost 3,000 yards and 40 tds at the 5A-D1 level last year. Their backup running back will probably rush for 1,000 yards this year too. If they get some good qb play I could see them making another run. 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, MrFleet23 said:

I like it better when we're disrespected. For whatever reason when those kids show up with a chip on their shoulders it produces great results. As far as rankings I think we have talent at the skill positions to compete with anyone in 5A. Its the trenches that I have questions about. Definitely gonna know by week 2 

I was/am worried about the trenches too. Somebody pointed out to me the other day though that we bring back something like 60 career starts on the o-line between the three returners. Was also told that 4 of the 5 current starters squatted over 500lbs during Spring workouts. I think the problem to us is that they don't look as imposing on the hoof as some of our other o-lines have in past. I think our three primary ball carriers are going to help with that though. 

I've been worried about the d-line every single year except like maybe '14, '15 and '21 but we always seem to sufficiently reload there. It's going to be virtually impossible to replace the Coop and Casey combination but we're so good at linebacker this year that we don't really need the kids to do that. They just need to keep our linebackers clean so they can make plays. That Summer Creek transfer is a game changer at the 2nd level. Keep in mind that we didn't see LaRive much this Spring either because of how well the baseball team was playing. We may not have Coop and Casey but I think we'll have a more talented defense overall. Definitely think they'll be faster which I think Coach Poth prefers over size anyway.  

On 7/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think Tascosa is a little over-ranked but I would still put them there over say, Cooper. Manvel is going to get beat down pretty soundly against Shadow Creek but they might not lose another game on their schedule before the 3rd round. They don't bring back a lot of starters but they play so many kids during the course of the year that it somewhat mitigates that. They should have improved QB play from their second year starter and they do better at re-stocking trench guys that any 5A program in the Houston area. I think if anything bites them it will be that they graduated their top 3 running backs. 

College Station lost probably their best QB in school history but Marquise Collins is so freaking good that I think you have to still give them the benefit of the doubt until the Temple game. Everybody knew he was getting it and he still rushed for almost 3,000 yards and 40 tds at the 5A-D1 level last year. Their backup running back will probably rush for 1,000 yards this year too. If they get some good qb play I could see them making another run. 

I could see Tascosa over Cooper, just saying 2-5A D1 goes 5 deep..someone that's pretty good is going to miss....

Manvel needs to keep an eye on Angleton, I think they are going to be sneaky good...

College Station's stud backup RB transferred to Decatur, they'll still be good but I'm not sure top ten good especially against that schedule...they will more than have their hands full in the opener against Lovejoy

• 2 weeks later...