WO-S DC?

marshman

15 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It sounds a little premature to make that statement. I wonder if they made that same proclamation when Bear Bryant left Alabama. You may be right, but dang, at least let them play a game first. 

Actually when the Bear retired, Alabama did slip into mediocrity. It took 11 years before they made it and won another national title and that was with Gene Stallings (a former player for Bear Bryant) as HC. After he retired it was back to mediocrity until Saban came along. 

15 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It sounds a little premature to make that statement. I wonder if they made that same proclamation when Bear Bryant left Alabama. You may be right, but dang, at least let them play a game first. 

Actually when the Bear retired, Alabama did slip into mediocrity. It took 11 years before they made it and won another national title in 1992 and that was with Gene Stallings (a former player for Bear Bryant) as HC. After he retired in 96 it was back to mediocrity until Saban came along in 2007.

38 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Actually, when the Bear retired, Alabama did slip into mediocrity. It took 11 years before they made it and won another national title in 1992 and that was with Gene Stallings (a former player for Bear Bryant) as HC. After he retired in 96 it was back to mediocrity until Saban came along in 2007.

And even Nick Saban had a 7-6 record there his first year which points once again to let’s give H a chance and see what he can do.

My comment was mostly to the naysayers that say it’s over never to return and is crumbling before our very eyes. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, Judex said:

I am shocked by the number of people that seem to be unaware that Coach T was there from the very beginning. That was his team long before he was the head coach. We had a brief period when he left and then he came back. We saw what happened. The proof was in the pudding and some folks can't see it. They will learn now. Plenty of schools in the area have had horses over the years. There was a reason for the consistent success and it wasn't just the athletes. The slow degradation cometh and the legacy is about to fade. It will be slow enough that it'll be gone before people realize it. Like anything else, all good things must come to an end.

. . .

On 3/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, marshman said:

Since the new coach has brought in a new DC from Westbrook, does anyone know if they will still run the 5-0 defense that they’ve ran since 1977? Also what about Mike Pierce, the outgoing DC who’s been there many years, is he taking another role or is he leaving for another school?

Let me help u with that.ive been talking to a few players today.and they gonna go with this 4/2/5.DC is determined to teach them his scheme.i truly believe it will only look like were getting better when we're playing weaker teams.but as soon as they play a well coached team that's it.lol, he even said they weren't even lining up right all nite.tough times moving forward.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, mat said:

Many coaches could move right in and win with that WOS tradition and a stable full of well conditioned athletes that WOS has. However, sustaining that winning tradition is another story. Time will tell but give him a chance. 

I understand what u saying but,the problem is he has hired O/C AND D/C THat runs what they know and not what the kids know.and letting them run there side of the ball.so at the end of the day someone will eventually have to take the blame.i would hate to see anyone lose there job.i truly believe this want end well for either side

On 3/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, Judex said:

I'm not trying to diminish one over another and I didn't play, so I am going by what my friends who did had to say. I was there 85-89 when the dynasty started and back then it was understood that although Dan was the head coach, that was Coach T's team. "Defense wins championships." Coach T became DC in 1981. He was also the strength and conditioning coach. Also importantly, he was the disciplinarian. WO-S' reputation is defense and conditioning. Discipline.

From 1985 to now WO-S has missed the playoffs just 5 times. '92 when we forfeited some district games, '99, then 2001-2003.

Coach T was gone to Palestine and Huntsville 2001-2003.

It could be a wild coincidence. The district was tough. Going 8-2 and missing the playoffs is tough. But, it could also be the proof in the pudding. I bleed blue and silver. I WANT to be wrong. I just don't think I am.

People were fighting for Toby because they believed he was the best chance to continue a legacy because he spent so much of his life a part of it. Every little change we hear about from outsiders coming in sounds like the death of what has worked for so long. It just sounds like it is really finally over.

Right, smack on the money.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:59 PM, dj said:

Let me help u with that.ive been talking to a few players today.and they gonna go with this 4/2/5.DC is determined to teach them his scheme.i truly believe it will only look like were getting better when we're playing weaker teams.but as soon as they play a well coached team that's it.lol, he even said they weren't even lining up right all nite.tough times moving forward.

That's almost comical coming from a team known for being swiss cheese on defense... again, smarter than a legend...

On 3/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, SmashMouth said:

And even Nick Saban had a 7-6 record there his first year which points once again to let’s give H a chance and see what he can do.

My comment was mostly to the naysayers that say it’s over never to return and is crumbling before our very eyes. 

Well look at it from another angle.he has no H/C experience.and only was a defensive coordinator with Silsbee.and there defense wasn't gud.and wasn't even w.o D/C. MIKE pierce and CT ran the defense.and the topper at any level idk any coach that would switch his whole defense and offense.after been 2 games from winning state. He knows from the 7th grade on up we don't have the size or the talent coming up to run this defense.u have to go with what ur kids does best and then add to it.dont get me wrong I hope and pray that I am wrong.but,we're asking alot.and idk if ur not seeing how kids have been wide open in our secondary bcz our kids are confused.like #13 for lcm left open abt 3 or 4 times.and then #19 for png they best player left open a few times.