5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

On 11/4/2023 at 7:55 AM, OlDawg said:

Not a popular opinion amongst those who post a lot, but LP has actually been the most consistent team in 8-5A all year. Nothing flashy. Just steady. A throwback to the old LP as I’ve stated multiple times. They didn’t even settle on a QB until Week 5/6, and have also had their share of injuries and players out as did other district teams. Still, they just steadily plugged along.

All this without having a ‘true’ home game all year. I consider that fairly impressive in itself. (Not sure where this first round PO game will be either since we don’t have a home field right now.)

Until 2017–and a string of multiple coaches that didn’t work out, new district leadership, and other changes—La Porte was a PO team for basically 30 years straight. (Even as typically the smallest school in whichever district they were placed.)

Teams always knew—win or lose—they were in for a ‘dog fight’ when they matched up with La Porte.

This group of young men have never known the PO’s. So, we’ll see how they fare. But, I’m sure  the staff will have them as ready to play as possible.

Good Luck to all the 8-5A PO teams. I’ll be rooting for all.

agree

19 hours ago, Old Ape said:

BH missed being 5a d2 by 6 kids last realignment and Crosby missed it by 2. Both teams would be serious regional contenders if still in that division. 
Just a thought.

I agree. It’s sets up nice for PNG again this year with Lake Creek being biggest threat IMO. I think they walk to 3rd round and then see Lake Creek. They could be back in Arlington.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:48 PM, BHFAN said:

Good evaluation. It’s close to my bias opinion 😀 I think BH is the most complete team and PAM is the most raw talent team in the district.LP can cause match up problems, just ask BH. I mentioned once that they seem to be to BH how Vidor was to Crosby. Can’t explain it, but they give us fits. I hope we all three represent in the 1st round well. 

Gut told me you guys were going to be the only ones to advance after the 1st.  PAM didn’t show up unfortunately and LP got a bad matchup for them Lancaster isn’t your normal 4 seed.  Good luck next week.

20 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Gut told me you guys were going to be the only ones to advance after the 1st.  PAM didn’t show up unfortunately and LP got a bad matchup for them Lancaster isn’t your normal 4 seed.  Good luck next week.

Lancaster had a very solid club. Lots of talent. I can see why some had them ranked #3 earlier in the year. If they had a little more discipline, they’d be a lot tougher.

The LP/Lancaster game was closer than the score indicated. It was as competitive as advertised. Good game, even with all the flags.

LP is very young. This experience will help them get back to where they used to be very quickly. The staff is ahead of schedule to me. They return the entire backfield, half of the OL including the big TE on Dave Campbell’s watch list, and over half the D.

At 2249, not sure if they’ll stay 5A, or move back to 6A. But, the future is looking bright again, and the talent pipeline seems to be back with the backing of the administration, staff, and community. I’m hearing around town that parents outside LP are asking about the community. Apparently, some publication has rated La Porte as the 10th best ISD out of 75 in the greater Houston area.

With all the new facilities, the 1:1 technology standards, and all the local support, the kids have excellent opportunities.

11 minutes ago, OlDawg said:

Lancaster had a very solid club. Lots of talent. I can see why some had them ranked #3 earlier in the year. If they had a little more discipline, they’d be a lot tougher.

The LP/Lancaster game was closer than the score indicated. It was as competitive as advertised. Good game, even with all the flags.

LP is very young. This experience will help them get back to where they used to be very quickly. The staff is ahead of schedule to me. They return the entire backfield, half of the OL including the big TE on Dave Campbell’s watch list, and over half the D.

At 2249, not sure if they’ll stay 5A, or move back to 6A. But, the future is looking bright again, and the talent pipeline seems to be back with the backing of the administration, staff, and community. I’m hearing around town that parents outside LP are asking about the community. Apparently, some publication has rated La Porte as the 10th best ISD out of 75 in the greater Houston area.

With all the new facilities, the 1:1 technology standards, and all the local support, the kids have excellent opportunities.

If y’all move up to 6A and your in the one district, it’ll be tough.  If y’all stay 5AD1 you’ll be pretty good for the next couple of years for sure.  Good season this year and hopefully y’all can build on it next year and take the next step.

9 hours ago, CougarCal said:

If y’all move up to 6A and your in the one district, it’ll be tough.  If y’all stay 5AD1 you’ll be pretty good for the next couple of years for sure.  Good season this year and hopefully y’all can build on it next year and take the next step.

It was a solid season. Proud of the young men. To me, need to incorporate just a little more of a passing threat next year where teams can’t stack the box as much. Lancaster literally had all 11 within 5-6 yards of LOS. When LP finally started throwing a little late in the game, you could see Lancaster wasn’t ready for it at all. Even a 75/25 split would help the D’s have to be a little more honest.

I can understand this year. Second year of system, first full offseason program, wanting to get basics strong, and only a first time starting Soph at QB. But, next year, would hope to have a little more variety in key spots with the QB having a year of experience under his belt.

10 hours ago, WP4L said:

I can't believe that some on here were saying 8-5A would go 3-1 against 7-5A....too funny.

I said we had a chance to go 3-1 and that was due to BH, PAM and LP. Of course that said before PAM imploded the last 3 games. I also thought LP would be a problem for whoever they played. Forney got rocked by BH last year and have the same team with the exception of one move in LB from last year. Lancaster isn’t as good as last year. Why would that prediction be funny?

10 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

@Austin1985 ok I'm finally on board with getting back to Region 3 like you and many others on here. Smh. 

I like Region 2 but oh welp. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Same, these road trips suck. Every playoff game 3-5 hours. In region 3 we would be playing in the Houston area instead of Dallas and Austin. Glad Texanlive is a thing when it works of course😎

6 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Same, these road trips suck. Every playoff game 3-5 hours. In region 3 we would be playing in the Houston area instead of Dallas and Austin. Glad Texanlive is a thing when it works of course😎

not sure how reg 3 will shape up next year, but i feel confident that even with Coach Kline at the helm, PAM and the district would fair much better. as far as the district: PAM, BH,LP,RSS, GCM,Lee, Ball High. if WestBrook drops, then thats good 8 team district. PAM being the most eastern team Ball being the furthest. I10 and 146 teams lol

11 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

@Austin1985 ok I'm finally on board with getting back to Region 3 like you and many others on here. Smh. 

I like Region 2 but oh welp. 🤷🏾‍♂️

My larger point is for any playoff run rather it be football, basketball, track, etc., greater Port Arthur will show up more if the games are in the houston area vs east DFW/east texas.  Plus with divisions, we'll fare better in Reg 3 but of course, I need to see how the UIL will read the map

This time #blindbastids

1 minute ago, Austin1985 said:

My larger point is for any playoff run rather it be football, basketball, track, etc., greater Port Arthur will show up more if the games are in the houston area vs east DFW/east texas.  Plus with divisions, we'll fare better in Reg 3 but of course, I need to see how the UIL will read the map

This time #blindbastids

I ran out of likes. + 1. 

28 minutes ago, pakronos said:

not sure how reg 3 will shape up next year, but i feel confident that even with Coach Kline at the helm, PAM and the district would fair much better. as far as the district: PAM, BH,LP,RSS, GCM,Lee, Ball High. if WestBrook drops, then thats good 8 team district. PAM being the most eastern team Ball being the furthest. I10 and 146 teams lol

Realignment is going to be crazy. LP and GCM may be 6 A while Lee could go 5A Div 2 and both Beaumont school’s potentially dropping to 5A.