CDC Study Finds Mask Mandates in Schools Don’t Help

Hagar

This is the hidden content, please

I’m not surprised.  First, homemade mask do little to protect you from Covid, and that’s if worn correctly.  I’d guess at least 30% of adults wear them below their noses - Duh.  Then add in the fact that these are children and the mask are even less useful with nose wiping & sticking their hands in their mouths.  Seriously folks, wearing homemade mask to prevent Covid is analogous to putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes.  Same think on a bigger scale.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, Hagar said:

This is the hidden content, please

I’m not surprised.  First, homemade mask do little to protect you from Covid, and that’s if worn correctly.  I’d guess at least 30% of adults wear them below their noses - Duh.  Then add in the fact that these are children and the mask are even less useful with nose wiping & sticking their hands in their mouths.  Seriously folks, wearing homemade mask to prevent Covid is analogous to putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes.  Same think on a bigger scale.

I don't think masks are close to foolproof, but I believe they help some.  I have a couple of issues with the article here: first, it's about a CDC study that they don't post a link to.  I find that suspicious.  When you click on most of their source links about studies in the articles on WND, it just sends you to other WND articles.  It's not particularly reliable.  Second, this quote is in the article: 

"The 21% lower incidence in schools that required mask use among students was not statistically significant compared with schools where mask use was optional," the CDC said.  "This finding might be attributed to higher effectiveness of masks among adults, who are at higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection but might also result from differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements."

I guess I don't know much about how scientific studies work, but I would think that a 21% difference would be extremely statistically significant.  If your school has 50 cases for every 100 students, and my school has 29 cases for every 100, I'd say my school appears to be quite a bit safer.  Also, why would differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements matter if the masks "don't make a difference."

15 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Here’s a test to see if fabric/cloth coverings help (dumb liberals absolutely hate this trick)

Stand face to face with a friend, fully clothed, and try to pee on each other. Now try it again, this time without clothes, and see if the urine reaches your friend 

Dang! It did! How did you know???

7 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I don't think masks are close to foolproof, but I believe they help some.  I have a couple of issues with the article here: first, it's about a CDC study that they don't post a link to.  I find that suspicious.  When you click on most of their source links about studies in the articles on WND, it just sends you to other WND articles.  It's not particularly reliable.  Second, this quote is in the article: 

"The 21% lower incidence in schools that required mask use among students was not statistically significant compared with schools where mask use was optional," the CDC said.  "This finding might be attributed to higher effectiveness of masks among adults, who are at higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection but might also result from differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements."

I guess I don't know much about how scientific studies work, but I would think that a 21% difference would be extremely statistically significant.  If your school has 50 cases for every 100 students, and my school has 29 cases for every 100, I'd say my school appears to be quite a bit safer.  Also, why would differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements matter if the masks "don't make a difference."

We may agree on many things, but the usefulness of homemade mask is not one of them.  Fauci even stated they were useless initially.  Then tried to cover the truth with a lie about saving mask for Medical folks...  imo, they do more harm than good, especially in children.

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

We may agree on many things, but the usefulness of homemade mask is not one of them.  Fauci even stated they were useless initially.  Then tried to cover the truth with a lie about saving mask for Medical folks...  imo, they do more harm than good, especially in children.

I respect that, and also the fact that you can have a conversation about the subject without it devolving into an argument.  I don't think they're super effective, but I personally believe they do help some.  If, as the article states, schools that had mandatory mask mandates had 21% less cases, I feel like that's a pretty good result from the masks, and 20% is probably about how effective they are.  But paired with other safety measures, I think they can help.  This year, with no restrictions at the start of school, vs. last year with distancing, masks, desk shields, etc., there've literally been ten times more cases in schools in three weeks than we saw the entire last school year.  That's not an exaggeration.  Now, is that because Delta is more contagious, or is it because the governor has discouraged safety measures?  I have a feeling it's a combination of the two.  

34 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I respect that, and also the fact that you can have a conversation about the subject without it devolving into an argument.  I don't think they're super effective, but I personally believe they do help some.  If, as the article states, schools that had mandatory mask mandates had 21% less cases, I feel like that's a pretty good result from the masks, and 20% is probably about how effective they are.  But paired with other safety measures, I think they can help.  This year, with no restrictions at the start of school, vs. last year with distancing, masks, desk shields, etc., there've literally been ten times more cases in schools in three weeks than we saw the entire last school year.  That's not an exaggeration.  Now, is that because Delta is more contagious, or is it because the governor has discouraged safety measures?  I have a feeling it's a combination of the two.  

I’d guess the Delta strain is more contagious to the young than the original.  I’ve a relative who taught at a local Jr Hi school last year that did not require mask or social distancing & had  virtually no Covid.  Delta seemed to attack children early on.  Hate to see what tricks Lambda will bring.   It appears that these different strains will keep coming for many months (years?).  

As for the homemade mask, again my opinion for all day wearing for schoolany minute help is offset by the small amount of negative physical effects of mask wearing and the damaging social aspects.  Recently I went to the ER which I assumed had several Covid infected in it.  In that atmosphere, I was happy to wear a mask for even the small amount of protection provided.  There’s a time and place for mask, just not in our day to day lives.