Put your best 11 on the field

SmashMouth

10 hours ago, BBH said:

The problem with kids playing both ways today is most of the players are not physically in shape. Most players just playing on one side of the ball are wore out in the 4th qtr. 

That's why 2a has been more fun for me to enjoy.   A lot of times it will come down to who wants it more come final minutes of the 4th quarter.   Both teams will be gassed.  Which team can gut it out.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:49 AM, SmashMouth said:

It’s my understanding that Lumberton’s new baseball coach, wait sorry, new head football coach is not playing a single starter both ways. If you have the personnel to do that - go for it. But if you’re a team that struggles to win, like Lumberton last year, then don’t you agree that you should start your best 11 on all 3 components of the game and sub in when they need rest? I’m not just speaking for Lumberton, they’re my unfortunate example. 

did the new baseball coach get promoted already?

9 hours ago, pine curtain said:

did the new baseball coach get promoted already?

Look, I was being a smart (insert body part here). His last gig he was the OC in football and head coach in Golf. Lumberton kept true to form by hiring (in my very humble but well informed opinion) not necessarily the best guy for the job. So, yeah, I’m throwing a few daggers. 
Some Bio:

“In 20 years of coaching, Reyes has been the Offensive Coordinator at Nacogdoches High School, Midlothian High School, McKinney High School, Northwest High School, and the OC at Center High School. He has also been the head track coach and head Golf Coach at Nacogdoches High School and Center High School.”

5 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Was Reyes part of turning around or trying to turn around Nac with his Dad as HC awhile back?? 🤔 Somebody might oughta look into that, I don't know. 

I’m not sure on that one. I’ll try to find out. I’m literally just throwing a bunch of crap out there about his resume’ cuz I didn’t like the hire, and I’m a sore freaking loser. Lol. But I really want to emphasize the importance of playing your best athletes on a team that isn’t very deep (a nice way to put it). I feel like a guy that went to college on a baseball scholarship and has never been a head football coach could use a little direction with his new football team. I guess that’s my formal offer of services…free of charge (mostly) if Coach Reyes would like some first class advice. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:57 PM, SmashMouth said:

Look, I was being a smart (insert body part here). His last gig he was the OC in football and head coach in Golf. Lumberton kept true to form by hiring (in my very humble but well informed opinion) not necessarily the best guy for the job. So, yeah, I’m throwing a few daggers. 
Some Bio:

“In 20 years of coaching, Reyes has been the Offensive Coordinator at Nacogdoches High School, Midlothian High School, McKinney High School, Northwest High School, and the OC at Center High School. He has also been the head track coach and head Golf Coach at Nacogdoches High School and Center High School.”

okay i thought you was talking about the coach who came in from HF to coach baseball.

16 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

The number of offensive linemen this would exclude. 

Not to mention the fact that being able to run 8.5 mph for 7 minutes, has nothing to do with being a good football player. That type of training doesn't make you better in the 4th quarter either. We've learned lots about training since those days. 

On 8/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Greezy said:

Maybe nowadays.  But in my day if you couldn't run a sub 7 minute mile you didn't qualify for the team.  At least that was the rule in Tenaha. 

1 hour ago, Cougtalk said:

The number of offensive linemen this would exclude. 

1 hour ago, dayton said:

Not to mention the fact that being able to run 8.5 mph for 7 minutes, has nothing to do with being a good football player. That type of training doesn't make you better in the 4th quarter either. We've learned lots about training since those days. 

I think he was talking about Cross Country, not football. Lol. 

6 hours ago, dayton said:

I wouldn't say that it was training.   First day of 2 a days was always the mile.  You could either qualify for the team or you couldn't.   

1 hour ago, Greezy said:

I wouldn't say that it was training.   First day of 2 a days was always the mile.  You could either qualify for the team or you couldn't.   

Must have had a small O Line! Lol. That’s crazy! I’d rather have a 285 lb DT that can run a 4.9 40 and bench 375+ but can only run an 8 min mile. I know you weren’t the coach, so not pointing a finger at you, but that makes so little sense. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Must have had a small O Line! Lol. That’s crazy! I’d rather have a 285 lb DT that can run a 4.9 40 and bench 375+ but can only run an 8 min mile. I know you weren’t the coach, so not pointing a finger at you, but that makes so little sense. 

This was in '95.  Hell maybe it was 8.  But I remember at the kinesiology department at the university I attended we also had to run a 7 minute mile.