Is this the best Lumberton team ever????

Guest football09

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres no doubt in my mind he is. Verde was a great athlete back then and right now he can still go. People need to stop being jealous around here.....

Yeah that might be true but I still bet he's a better athlete then both of yall right now. As a matter of fact I know he is....

That is too funny!! No jealousy here. I was just playing around but if you really feel that way bring Verde out (also remember I am a few years older too)  ;D ;). I will compete against him in anything BUT baseball or softball. I ain't scared. I know he CANNOT cover me one on one. HAHAHA This is fun. I was thinking about getting some guys together again for a flag football game again in a couple of weeks maybe we can do it then. As for Jake, he looked athletic a couple of weeks ago at the flag football game.

Now back to 1985 that was a good team as well. Coach Spacek, with Brian Wright RB, Stucker, Herrington, Jared Huey, Ken Hecke, I think Boykin was the QB. Tore down the goal post after the win against Jasper

Wow,  NO Heart Bighouse???????  Did you see the same game in Newton  Yea the 132lb. WR got drilled about 5 or 6 times, knocked smooth out once busted up his knee and managed to play both ways the rest of the game and finish with over 140 yds.  Probably the same guy who scored 3 touchdowns in a game in college with a shattered hand and never missed a play.  Also the Tal Light played most of the season with dislocated shoulders.  Say what you want about your favorite team, but you better know what you are talking about before questioning a teams heart..  Nobody has  said anything but great things about this years team.

That is too funny!! No jealousy here. I was just playing around but if you really feel that way bring Verde out (also remember I am a few years older too)  ;D ;). I will compete against him in anything BUT baseball or softball. I ain't scared. I know he CANNOT cover me one on one. HAHAHA This is fun. I was thinking about getting some guys together again for a flag football game again in a couple of weeks maybe we can do it then. As for Jake, he looked athletic a couple of weeks ago at the flag football game.

Now back to 1985 that was a good team as well. Coach Spacek, with Brian Wright RB, Stucker, Herrington, Jared Huey, Ken Hecke, I think Boykin was the QB. Tore down the goal post after the win against Jasper

Verde was and still is a very good athlete. He is a very good friend of mine and a really good guy. I was simply stating that if he was barreling toward a linebacker these days, then he would be tough to tackle! Raider88 did well at the flag game a few weeks back. If you all play again, let me know because I wanna play again too. It was lots of fun.

I would have to say in 2001 that was the best team out of lumberton they only went 7-3 but the played jasper in district Jasper  went to the regional quaterfinals. Lumberton had WR Keith Talbert, WR Kenny Hare,LB Corin Martin, and QB Tony Eckerid that team would kill the 07 raiders in a game.

Guest BIG HOUSE

BALDWIN88, the lack of heart commit was definitley not directed at you. You did display GREAT heart,esp. after the jacked up play.

But MOST of your teammates gave up after Newton started smashing them in the mouth.

Like on 3rd. and 4 when the QB threw a perfect pass to the TE and he ducked and grabbed his head(saw the ref. in the corner of his eye)and there wasn't a Newton player within 10yards of him.Thats the only time i've ever saw that happen.

Second half i believe they outscored us 28-0...... I thought youre teammates were a little scared in the 2nd. half...Just my opinon....

You guys should have drilled Newton in that game.......

BigHouse, I appreciate that.  And I can definately see where you are coming from.  But I could also attribute that to Newton's D.  That was by far the hardest hitting team I've ever played against.  They were certainly the hungrier TEAM in the 4th quarter.  They have been there many times in the big game and pushed into an extra gear.  I hope the same thing doesn't happen to these guys.  Nederland will be playing all 4 quarters.  If we do the same, we should be pulling down the goalpost.

Baldwin88 must of had flash backs of the Newton game when we lined up against each other in Germany. That is something I never expected. Being all the way on the other side of the world in another country playing flag football and look up and see a familar face (a guy that idolized me so much he wanted to be #88 too, hahahahaha J/K) just so happens we were both from the same hick town in Texas and wore the same number in High School.

Great thread...  It's nice to see some of the Alum that still care about Lumberton.  Growing up in Lumberton and while in school we often compared our '92 team to that of our '96 team  (Fall '95).

There are some other good players on the 92 team that are not being mentioned.  Chad Latino comes first to mind (All-District both ways).  Perkins and Tal were very good... Baldwin might be the fastest WR from Lumberton still.  The 92 Team was 3A and one of the larger schools in the district.  Thats not to say that they played weaker competition, but it is more impressive when you are the smallest school in the district and competing.  The 96 team had some great players too.  Some younger Brothers of the 92 team.  While TJ and Chad got most of the attention, there were alot players that were good.  Kyle Gardner (RB) and Shane Winchester (LB, played College Ball) just to name a couple.  Also, Jolly Adams, WR.  It would have been great to see them teams get at it on the field. But this years team will be the most impressive.  From Top to Bottom this district might be the toughest it has ever been.  No easy games here.  Also, they can do something that NO team from Lumberton has ever been able to do...make the Play-offs.

Great post BigBlue.  The big picture is this guys.  Over the last 20 years, Lumberton has done away with the notion that the Raiders will be an easy victory.  Through the years we have turned out some talented athletes and have been very competitive in whatever district they put us in.  This years team is fixing to raise the bar for future Raiders.  I am sure guys from all of the past teams are proud to be part of creating a winning tradition.  Now, let's get a taste of them playoffs!!!!!

GoBigBlu.......There is no way that district is the toughest it has ever been......The 1996 Lumberton (95 season) played in the district with WO-S in one of ther good years and LC-M when they were rolling and only 2 teams went to the playoffs........You can bet this district will be 0fer in the playoffs......against a fairly weak district next door......the only team that has a cance the first round is Dayton who seems to have pulled it together just in time......I have not seen this team play but I know first hand how good that 96 team was........A lot of people forget about the 95 team (94 season) that beat everyone in the district but LC-M (12-1) and WO-S (13-1).......They were very talented and formed the base of the 96 success.....

GoBigBlu.......There is no way that district is the toughest it has ever been......The 1996 Lumberton (95 season) played in the district with WO-S in one of ther good years and LC-M when they were rolling and only 2 teams went to the playoffs........You can bet this district will be 0fer in the playoffs......against a fairly weak district next door......the only team that has a cance the first round is Dayton who seems to have pulled it together just in time......I have not seen this team play but I know first hand how good that 96 team was........A lot of people forget about the 95 team (94 season) that beat everyone in the district but LC-M (12-1) and WO-S (13-1).......They were very talented and formed the base of the 96 success.....

I believe that is backward---the other district will be 0-3

just like last year

WOW. 22-4A will not go 0-3 or 1-2 in the first round of the playoffs.

I hope you are correct......I like 22-4A and have been in that district before......however, football down there is way behind football anywhere else........I know that will make all of you upset down there bbut travel around the state and you will see what I am talking about......The failure of the WO-S field turf bond is just the tip of the iceburg.......I know that has nothing to do with wins and losses but it does have to do with the state of the programs.......I am not even sure who is in the district you guys are facing in the first round.......can someone share that with me please.......If it is the LaMarque district, excuse my week district comment......but that is the only district down there that can roll it up....

I hope you are correct......I like 22-4A and have been in that district before......however, football down there is way behind football anywhere else........I know that will make all of you upset down there bbut travel around the state and you will see what I am talking about......The failure of the WO-S field turf bond is just the tip of the iceburg.......I know that has nothing to do with wins and losses but it does have to do with the state of the programs.......I am not even sure who is in the district you guys are facing in the first round.......can someone share that with me please.......If it is the LaMarque district, excuse my week district comment......but that is the only district down there that can roll it up....

Crosby, Houston Smiley, Galena Park

If im not mistaken, in 94 we lost to Nederland pretty bad (forgot the score) in the final game of district play making us 2-3 in district, we beat Lincoln and Bridge City that year  ???. The next year we beat nederland at our place 19-8 to finish the year 8-2 and 3-2 (loosing only to WOS 34-10 and LCM 10-7) in district.**3rd place but only 2 teams made the playoffs**

Fast forward to 2006---->we travel to Nederland and loose pretty bad. 2007...... lets just hope that history repeats itself this year when Nederland comes to Lumberton.

and as to the best team in history of lumberton football, even with 91, 92, 2001 and our 95 team......Id have to go with the 2007 team. These kids deserve it!!! Playoffs or not they have my respect.

I just hope the city of LUMBERTON shuts down tonite.  Every ex-player and LUMBERTONIAN should be there.  Our community needs this.  We all know that nederland will bring a lot of fans and we need to make sure that our presence is felt.  Who cares which is the best team ever, we can argue about that later lets ENJOY THIS MOMENT and hopefully be a part of something SPECIAL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder