Hagar’s Ramblings

Hagar

Had a great idea for a post but was busy doing something else. Like Biden, I should’ve wrote it down.  I can only laugh.  Happens all the time.  It started with things I needed at Walmart.  When I walk into a Walmart I’m subjected to some type mind melt.  Whatever I needed, despite it may be multiple items, and despite how badly I need it (them), once crossing the threshold at WM, I go brain dead.  I’m surprised the TV folks haven’t had me on Stranger Than Fiction.  😂😂😂

This may ramble even more, so bear with me.  As humans we have mental human limitations (at least I do).  I can’t imagine a universe with no end.  In my mind, there should be a border, a drop off, a wall - something.  Can’t even begin to imagine what would be on the other side of that - something.  That mental limitation prevents us from understanding God’s love for us, until something happens to enlighten us somewhat.  I use to ask myself, how could God continue to love us when we’re constantly ignoring him and being.....well, bad.   Then I got enlightened.  Prior to going in Marines, our Grandson worked at Tractor Supply.  One day he heard a noise from a pallet full of feed stacked 4 to a layer with a hole in the middle.  At the bottom of that hole was a kitten about a month old, skinny & full of fleas.  He got her out & brought her home & him & his Dad bathed her and de-fleaed her.  He couldn’t keep her in his apartment so she ended up with me & my wife.  Took her to the Vet when a little older for shots and neutered.  We hadn’t had pets in forever.  Didn’t really want one, but inevitably we fell in love with “Maise”.  Now some of you have never had cats.  They’re to heck & gone from dogs, who (for the most part) are loving & obedient.  Cats think they run things.  Rarely display affection, and ignore commands.  Point is, we still love her - despite the ignoring & lack of affection from her, yep, we still love her.  I guess that’s the way God loves us, even when we ignore him, and ignore his Commandments.

I hope his post hasn’t offended anyone.  It could be construed as being sacrilegious I guess, but certainly not my intention.  I do find it amazing that I can learn something about (from?) God from a durn cat,  I guess there’s a little bit of God all around us if we just look for him.

17 minutes ago, Hagar said:

This may ramble even more, so bear with me.  As humans we have mental human limitations (at least I do).  I can’t imagine a universe with no end.  In my mind, there should be a border, a drop off, a wall - something.  Can’t even begin to imagine what would be on the other side of that - something.  That mental limitation prevents us from understanding God’s love for us, until something happens to enlighten us somewhat.  I use to ask myself, how could God continue to love us when we’re constantly ignoring him and being.....well, bad.   Then I got enlightened.  Prior to going in Marines, our Grandson worked at Tractor Supply.  One day he heard a noise from a pallet full of feed stacked 4 to a layer with a hole in the middle.  At the bottom of that hole was a kitten about a month old, skinny & full of fleas.  He got her out & brought her home & him & his Dad bathed her and de-fleaed her.  He couldn’t keep her in his apartment so she ended up with me & my wife.  Took her to the Vet when a little older for shots and neutered.  We hadn’t had pets in forever.  Didn’t really want one, but inevitably we fell in love with “Maise”.  Now some of you have never had cats.  They’re to heck & gone from dogs, who (for the most part) are loving & obedient.  Cats think they run things.  Rarely display affection, and ignore commands.  Point is, we still love her - despite the ignoring & lack of affection from her, yep, we still love her.  I guess that’s the way God loves us, even when we ignore him, and ignore his Commandments.

I hope his post hasn’t offended anyone.  It could be construed as being sacrilegious I guess, but certainly not my intention.  I do find it amazing that I can learn something about (from?) God from a durn cat,  I guess there’s a little bit of God all around us if we just look for him.

My dad told me before he passed, “Do I love you when you’ve disobeyed me or disappointed me - Yes!!!  God is a Father and He wants your love but understands you’ll fail Him.”  Great post Hagar!!

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Awesome. Thanks for the reminder. 

My light bulb went off again.  Gotta post it before I forget (again).  I can only relay the way I see things.  Others may be more observant than me, or put more thought into visual impressions.  One of my initial awakenings was when a friend and I, after work, started building cedar fences (could fill a post about digging post holes in mid-County gumbo when it hadn’t rained in a month, lol).  My friend was known at work as Mr. Metic(ulous), so when putting the fences up, we took extra pains to make sure fence was straight & level.  When we finished, the Lufkin Rule Company could use our fences to make straight edges.  Point is, prior to this, when I saw a cedar fence, I just ‘saw’ a fence.  After starting this, I looked at fences with a critical eye, admiring the good ones & frowning at the bad.  

Recently, my back started giving me a lot of trouble.  I use a cane to walk.  I have to use a cane for support.  Now I notice others with canes.  Again, prior to this, just a person with a cane.  Now I notice the difference.  A very few seem to carry one just for show.  The majority seem to use one primarily for balance (yes folks, many old folks no longer have a good sense of balance).  Then you have folks like me who have to use one to walk.

I guess what I wonder, are most folks like me, not really ‘seeing’ things until you have a connection, or am I unique?  Lol, doesn’t matter a lot, just curious.  What matters is how could a former soldier who won his Company PT test for two years, be resigned to having to walk with a cane.  How the mighty have fallen....😂😂😂

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

My light bulb went off again.  Gotta post it before I forget (again).  I can only relay the way I see things.  Others may be more observant than me, or put more thought into visual impressions.  One of my initial awakenings was when a friend and I, after work, started building cedar fences (could fill a post about digging post holes in mid-County gumbo when it hadn’t rained in a month, lol).  My friend was known at work as Mr. Metic(ulous), so when putting the fences up, we took extra pains to make sure fence was straight & level.  When we finished, the Lufkin Rule Company could use our fences to make straight edges.  Point is, prior to this, when I saw a cedar fence, I just ‘saw’ a fence.  After starting this, I looked at fences with a critical eye, admiring the good ones & frowning at the bad.  

Recently, my back started giving me a lot of trouble.  I use a cane to walk.  I have to use a cane for support.  Now I notice others with canes.  Again, prior to this, just a person with a cane.  Now I notice the difference.  A very few seem to carry one just for show.  The majority seem to use one primarily for balance (yes folks, many old folks no longer have a good sense of balance).  Then you have folks like me who have to use one to walk.

I guess what I wonder, are most folks like me, not really ‘seeing’ things until you have a connection, or am I unique?  Lol, doesn’t matter a lot, just curious.  What matters is how could a former soldier who won his Company PT test for two years, be resigned to having to walk with a cane.  How the mighty have fallen....😂😂😂

My theme song, Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen.

When I was on the swat team up until I was about 45 years old, I would run up to 8 miles a night to stay in shape. I never got into really heavy weights but weighing about 180 pounds, I was bench pressing 250. 

On one raid at a drug house, I was the ram officer who had to knock the door open. I wore about 35 pounds of body armor and weapons and carried a 72 pound ram two blocks through an alley running to be able to sneak up on the house quickly. Boom, the door came down. 

After 10 years of doing that I got off the team. That was 20 years ago.

Now I am not sure that I can walk two blocks😂😂😂

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

When I was on the swat team up until I was about 45 years old, I would run up to 8 miles a night to stay in shape. I never got into really heavy weights but weighing about 180 pounds, I was bench pressing 250. 

On one raid at a drug house, I was the ram officer who had to knock the door open. I wore about 35 pounds of body armor and weapons and carried a 72 pound ram two blocks through an alley running to be able to sneak up on the house quickly. Boom, the door came down. 

I had an encounter with Jeff co swat once. I was a maintenance man at a complex in bmt. Got a page about 2am about a major sewer backup. As was wheeling the snake down to the apartment, 2 swat guys came around the corner with guns drawn. Those red dots hit my chest and they immediately split and went right around me. I left the snake were it was... I had another mess to clean up.

23 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’m a pretty coordinated guy but I have trouble using crutches, much less try a cane. lol. I am using a walker with two wheels right now to get around. Works very well. Kinda slow, but with a crushed big toe I ain’t in a hurry anyway. 

12 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Sounds like me. Played High School and college football, played racquetball for 30+ years (3 to 4 times a week til Covid happened). Now my knees are blown. Waiting on double total knee replacements. Can barely make it to the mail box. 

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

That stinks, sorry to hear that.

Thanks. Couldn’t hold it in. Sprinting has not been part of my vocabulary for awhile, so there’s that. Doctor says that I should walk ok. Thought I would favor that foot but he says no.

Thanks Hagar for letting me ramble. Lol

23 minutes ago, baddog said:

Thanks. Couldn’t hold it in. Sprinting has not been part of my vocabulary for awhile, so there’s that. Doctor says that I should walk ok. Thought I would favor that foot but he says no.

Thanks Hagar for letting me ramble. Lol

Hey baddog, you can ramble, or hobble, with me anytime.  This thread is for any and all Ramblings.  Most all of us will have a problem, or a brainstorm we’d like to share.  As I’ve gotten older, I seem to have more of them.  Lol, I can’t remember what happened yesterday, but things pop into my head from ages ago.

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Hey baddog, you can ramble, or hobble, with me anytime.  This thread is for any and all Ramblings.  Most all of us will have a problem, or a brainstorm we’d like to share.  As I’ve gotten older, I seem to have more of them.  Lol, I can’t remember what happened yesterday, but things pop into my head from ages ago.

Ok, how many more 7-11/donut shops do we need?

Next time you are in a group of cars taking off from a stop light, kinda hang back from “the pack” and watch anyone turning left from the oncoming traffic will turn in front of you. They aren’t about to wait for the last car, which is you. It could be clear for miles behind you but they will still turn in front of you.

7 hours ago, baddog said:

I’m a pretty coordinated guy but I have trouble using crutches, much less try a cane. lol. I am using a walker with two wheels right now to get around. Works very well. Kinda slow, but with a crushed big toe I ain’t in a hurry anyway. 

Using a cane is a lot harder than I could’ve ever thought.  I make one bad move & almost fall on my face.  Getting better, but uneven ground is tough to negotiate.  Every step is an iffy proposition.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

I like a good play on words.  Not smart enough to come up with them, but appreciate those who are.

This from Ogden Nash (American Poet, died in 1979).

I am a conscientious man, when I throw rocks at seabirds I leave no tern unstoned.

Lol, good stuff there.

I have a couple of good ones but they break the rules of the forum. 

I’ve spent a lot of time on this thread giving you younger folks a forewarning of potential problems as you grow older.  According to my Dr, my back is not the only culprit.  Seems my hip has joined in.  Love the three options.  Live with it (I hope not).  Get a replacement (durn sure hope not).  And finally, a shot of something that will deaden the thing for several months.  Going with door number three.  Hope it works as advertised.  Not a lot of places I want to go, but a few.  Heard they have an adult beverage in New Orleans called a Hand Grenade.  It’s on my bucket list.  😂😂😂

8 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’ve spent a lot of time on this thread giving you younger folks a forewarning of potential problems as you grow older.  According to my Dr, my back is not the only culprit.  Seems my hip has joined in.  Love the three options.  Live with it (I hope not).  Get a replacement (durn sure hope not).  And finally, a shot of something that will deaden the thing for several months.  Going with door number three.  Hope it works as advertised.  Not a lot of places I want to go, but a few.  Heard they have an adult beverage in New Orleans called a Hand Grenade.  It’s on my bucket list.  😂😂😂

Good luck with that Hagar. Getting a big toe amputated next week. Gonna have to cancel that Wimbledon walk-on appearance. 

@baddog

And best of luck back at ya. You being a Wimbledon star, what’s your plans for that toe after removal?  If you put it on EBay you could garner quite a few $$$$.  I was looking forward to watching you in a match.  Last tennis match I watched was Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs.  

Since I have this new problem, I’ve cancelled my plans to scale Mt. Everest.  In lieu of that I’ll climb the four steps up to my neighbors patio.  Can’t let these minor setbacks keep us down.  💪💪💪

23 minutes ago, Hagar said:

@baddog

And best of luck back at ya. You being a Wimbledon star, what’s your plans for that toe after removal?  If you put it on EBay you could garner quite a few $$$$.  I was looking forward to watching you in a match.  Last tennis match I watched was Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs.  

Since I have this new problem, I’ve cancelled my plans to scale Mt. Everest.  In lieu of that I’ll climb the four steps up to my neighbors patio.  Can’t let these minor setbacks keep us down.  💪💪💪

I plan on trying out for the Olympic basketball team. This toe ain’t worth selling. It’s ugly. 

14 hours ago, Hagar said:

It will work until it doesn’t. Then you’ll need surgery. Do the shots though. It’ll by you some time. 
P. S. Hand grenades aren’t my favorite although they are effective. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

It will work until it doesn’t. Then you’ll need surgery. Do the shots though. It’ll by you some time. 
P. S. Hand grenades aren’t my favorite although they are effective. 

Thanks.  Buy me time?  I’m good with that.  At my age, it may be enough. 

I looked at a “probable” recipe for the Grenades.  One will probably make me cross-eyed.  Has about 5 shots in it & one of them is Everclear.  I do like a Hurricane, which taste like innocuous fruit punch.  Heard the HG doesn’t taste like it’s loaded, but it is. 

20 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Thanks.  Buy me time?  I’m good with that.  At my age, it may be enough. 

I looked at a “probable” recipe for the Grenades.  One will probably make me cross-eyed.  Has about 5 shots in it & one of them is Everclear.  I do like a Hurricane, which taste like innocuous fruit punch.  Heard the HG doesn’t taste like it’s loaded, but it is. 

It’s loaded. I drank 3 or 4 along with a bunch of other stuff throughout the day. They said I had a ball…

I think I’ve mentioned that nowadays people, as a whole, are impolite, rude, and fairly obnoxious.  I thought maybe this was unique to our place in time.  Just read this poem by Walter Raleigh.

I wish I loved the human race

I wish I loved its silly face

I wish I liked the way it walks

I wish I liked the way it talks

And when I’m introduced to one

I wish I thought What Jolly Fun

Guess Old Walter wasn’t happy with the folks back then either. 😂