Hagar’s Ramblings

Hagar

11 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Almost everyone butchers words. Speech patterns depends on the area, history, culture, ancestry…….

That’s a fact.  I watch many British mystery shows.  You learn that you go to the loo, not the toilet.  Your spare is in the boot, not the trunk.  In the movie Patton someone said the US & Britain are two countries separated by a common language, lol.  My FILaw, who died at 96; pronounced film as fillum.  Was a mystery to me why until reading a book on a Scottish Bobby, and in the book many of the old folks pronounced it fillum.  And in my above post, I left out p-can/p-con (pecan).  Southern classics, lol.

26 minutes ago, Hagar said:

That’s a fact.  I watch many British mystery shows.  You learn that you go to the loo, not the toilet.  Your spare is in the boot, not the trunk.  In the movie Patton someone said the US & Britain are two countries separated by a common language, lol.  My FILaw, who died at 96; pronounced film as fillum.  Was a mystery to me why until reading a book on a Scottish Bobby, and in the book many of the old folks pronounced it fillum.  And in my above post, I left out p-can/p-con (pecan).  Southern classics, lol.

Some of that is not butchering words by people in the UK but they just have different words for the same thing.

Fillum…. is messing up words. Like the typical Texan “aw” instead of “ah” like in dawg, lawg, frawg……  

Like most of the UK tends that be non-rhotic.

In the movie Patton, it was Patton who was quoting Sir George Bernard Shaw Who is reported to have said something like, England and America are two countries separated by a common language.

USA/UK

Truck/Lorry

Cookie/Biscuit

Can/Tin

etc.

Which brings me to an old American and English joke.

A man from England was visiting United States and came upon a farmer in Iowa. There were miles and miles of corn and the Englishman asked the farmer, what do y’all do with all that corn. To that the farmer replied, “We eat what we can and what we can’t, we can“. The Englishman busted out laughing. When he returned home he told everyone that he had heard the funniest joke in America and it went, “They have so much corn that they eat what they can and the rest they put in tins”. 

In this area we’re all to familiar with folks dying in enclosed areas, such as a tank.  One goes down, another goes in to get him & he goes down.  Then another.  I used to wonder, why they don’t realize there’s no oxygen and get out?  I finally found out about 10 years ago.  In these scenarios, the air is filled with nitrogen.  Nitrogen makes up 78% of the air we breathe.  The killer is when the air is primarily nitrogen and you breathe it, your body doesn’t realize you’re not getting good air - until it’s to late, so these folks go in and assume everything is okay.  You’re not gasping for air, your body thinks you’re getting it, so the bodies pile up.

So if you ever see someone down in an enclosed area, think twice before rushing to the rescue.  Hard as it may be, wait until the atmosphere is confirmed safe.  That’s my safety tip of the day.

17 hours ago, Hagar said:

In this area we’re all to familiar with folks dying in enclosed areas, such as a tank.  One goes down, another goes in to get him & he goes down.  Then another.  I used to wonder, why they don’t realize there’s no oxygen and get out?  I finally found out about 10 years ago.  In these scenarios, the air is filled with nitrogen.  Nitrogen makes up 78% of the air we breathe.  The killer is when the air is primarily nitrogen and you breathe it, your body doesn’t realize you’re not getting good air - until it’s to late, so these folks go in and assume everything is okay.  You’re not gasping for air, your body thinks you’re getting it, so the bodies pile up.

So if you ever see someone down in an enclosed area, think twice before rushing to the rescue.  Hard as it may be, wait until the atmosphere is confirmed safe.  That’s my safety tip of the day.

I worked a scene like that at a tank in Port Arthur  about 10 years on a barge.

About 25 years ago I was at a swat training day and we were training with the Coast Guard.  We were practicing assaulting a ship with active shooters on board. At one point we were going down a ladder on the ship and when the first officer got to the bottom of the ladder, a CG instructor tapped him on the shoulder and said you are down. So the second officer quickly moved down the ladder to the door to cover the fallen officer as if he had been shot. The instructor tapped him and said now you are down. I was the third officer in this stack and I started pushing my team backwards at that point and retreating up the ladder. The Coast Guard instructor asked me what the heck I was doing. I said I don’t know what just happened but I know I’m not going down that ladder. I heard no shots and saw no blood yet there were officers falling.

The scenario was that there was a gas leak which is absolutely possible on a ship or to go into an enclosed container with nitrogen, some other gas or chemical or even a rusty room could kill you.

That was the lesson. Don’t rush to your death when you see people start going down.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I worked a scene like that at a tank in Port Arthur  about 10 years on a barge.

About 25 years ago I was at a swat training day and we were training with the Coast Guard.  We were practicing assaulting a ship with active shooters on board. At one point we were going down a ladder on the ship and when the first officer got to the bottom of the ladder, a CG instructor tapped him on the shoulder and said you are down. So the second officer quickly moved down the ladder to the door to cover the fallen officer as if he had been shot. The instructor tapped him and said now you are down. I was the third officer in this stack and I started pushing my team backwards at that point and retreating up the ladder. The Coast Guard instructor asked me what the heck I was doing. I said I don’t know what just happened but I know I’m not going down that ladder. I heard no shots and saw no blood yet there were officers falling.

The scenario was that there was a gas leak which is absolutely possible on a ship or to go into an enclosed container with nitrogen, some other gas or chemical or even a rusty room could kill you.

That was the lesson. Don’t rush to your death when you see people start going down.

Great story, thanks for sharing.  I always wondered about “no gasping for air” aspect.  Having worked in petrochemicals we’d been taught about the scenario, but no one explained about the breathing.  We all know when in an enclosed space low on oxygen, people will gasp for air, so I never understood why folks in these tanks didn’t realize there was none. Finally one safety person explained how there was no reaction from the body.  Now I wonder - is it a “turn off the switch” death?  A painless, one moment you’re alive, the next you’re dead?  I would think so, but just a guess.

5 hours ago, Hagar said:

Great story, thanks for sharing.  I always wondered about “no gasping for air” aspect.  Having worked in petrochemicals we’d been taught about the scenario, but no one explained about the breathing.  We all know when in an enclosed space low on oxygen, people will gasp for air, so I never understood why folks in these tanks didn’t realize there was none. Finally one safety person explained how there was no reaction from the body.  Now I wonder - is it a “turn off the switch” death?  A painless, one moment you’re alive, the next you’re dead?  I would think so, but just a guess.

In the tank fatalities that I worked and talking with witnesses at the scene, when one man collapsed, another went in to get him out. He apparently at some point realized the mistake and tried to climb up the ladder to get out but did not make it which was only a few feet. We will never know but in my opinion the second man died as a hero because he probably realize what was happening to the first man. I believe he thought that he could go down to get the man and pulled him up a few feet. The speed at which he was overcome was very quick. Nitrogen is not caustic and is not poisonous in itself. It is not like being in chemical fumes where you can feel it in your lungs, your eyes might burn, etc.

Without oxygen you probably collapse in less than five seconds. From the way the firefighters on scene described it to me, going into a pure nitrogen environment is almost like sucking the oxygen out of your body. You are breathing in what is a major component of the atmosphere we live in but there is no oxygen in it to keep you alive. I think in the case that I worked, the second man probably started getting lightheaded within a couple of seconds, realized what was happening and tried to get out but could not make it up the 6-8 foot ladder.

I asked  the firefighters just for an opinion, had somebody with a breathing apparatus been able to go down immediately and get the men out and immediately start giving oxygen and CPR, would they have recovered I was told that likely yes.  The nitrogen does not kill a person but simply keeps your body from getting oxygen because there is none.

We always hear that if a person can get oxygen restored within four or five minutes, there is a good chance of survival. Like if a person goes underwater and you were able to get him out immediately, if you could get CPR started and get oxygen into the person, there’s a good chance of survival and maybe without any lasting effects.

I am guessing that the problem with that information is that even though your body can survive for a few minutes without oxygen, that does not mean you will be conscious. You might go unconscious within moments and will depend on someone else to restore your oxygen within a very few minutes. That might be some dangerous bit of information because if a person believes he can take a deep breath and go into a compartment and have a couple of minutes to retrieve another person, that could be a fatal mistake. In truth under exertion you might be only able to hold your breath for maybe 20 or 30 seconds. The moment you have to take another breath, you are likely at the point of no return. You had better get out of the compartment within a couple of seconds or you also will go down.

We might be able to live for 3 to 5 minutes without oxygen. We can only stay conscious however for 3 to 5 seconds.

In my non-medical opinion…..

One breath without oxygen knocks one out. Still able to breathe but taking in no oxygen. When the oxygen is depleted from the blood, death occurs. Funny (not comical) how Nitrogen makes up 78% of the air we breathe, but without oxygen, we collapse. Breathing pure nitrogen displaces the oxygen in the blood and will eventually kill you. Worked in the plants for several years and this is what I learned. We were always worried about H2S. 700 parts per million was enough to kill you. You could still be rescued if someone happened to gear up with fresh air to save you. I have worked as a hole watch with a sentinel. Sealed vessels contain no oxygen. A man who worked for our company fell into a tank under a nitrogen purge and died. Sad day for all of us.

Another weird hazard.  Heard story of a man falling into a tank of gasoline.  Co-worker dove in to save him.  Unfortunately, gasoline (and the correct terminology doesn’t come to mind) is not as buoyant as water, ergo you can’t swim in it.  You’re going to sink regardless of your abilities in water.  Both drowned.

15 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Another weird hazard.  Heard story of a man falling into a tank of gasoline.  Co-worker dove in to save him.  Unfortunately, gasoline (and the correct terminology doesn’t come to mind) is not as buoyant as water, ergo you can’t swim in it.  You’re going to sink regardless of your abilities in water.  Both drowned.

Very true. This is what I found….

I have had no occasion to consider this before but you’d probably be dead. Gasoline has a density of around 7 vs water 8.3 so you’d be 20% less buoyant.

As humans we tend to be just a little more buoyant in water, we would sink like a rock in gasoline. Swallowing even just a little gasoline will make you very, very sick.

I think you would drown quickly with little hope of successful revival if its depth was over your head and nothing to hold onto.

You would sink much sooner than you ran out of breath from holding it. Fumes are secondary. Then when you exhaled you’d be done for,

20 minutes ago, baddog said:

Very true. This is what I found….

I have had no occasion to consider this before but you’d probably be dead. Gasoline has a density of around 7 vs water 8.3 so you’d be 20% less buoyant.

As humans we tend to be just a little more buoyant in water, we would sink like a rock in gasoline. Swallowing even just a little gasoline will make you very, very sick.

I think you would drown quickly with little hope of successful revival if its depth was over your head and nothing to hold onto.

You would sink much sooner than you ran out of breath from holding it. Fumes are secondary. Then when you exhaled you’d be done for,

Sadly, in a situation like this, if not forewarned, most of us would’ve done the same - dove in to help.

Btw, Judge Don Minton is running for TX Land Commissioner.  I knew his Dad and our families went to Church together.  I Coached him in LL Football.  Great family and all good people.  Don graduated from West Point.  Haven’t seen him since his HS days, but he had a good foundation.  Most of us have little knowledge of folks in the lower offices, so I thought I’d pass along what little I know (now) about Don. 

Interesting question for y’all - and forget today with PC and WS (Woke 💩).  In the past who was more intelligent, our politicians or our Generals?  To show you how uninformed I was, until 1987 when Col North made fools of the folks in Congress, I’d thought the politicians were.  Looking back, I can show how stupid I was prior to that Iran-Contra Hearing.  Near the end of WW-II, Patton wanted to start a war with Russia.  Had he been allowed too, BAM, big worldly problem gone.  During the Korean War MacArthur wanted to attack China, BAM, another big worldly problem gone.  Btw, no doubt in my military mind old Douglas would’ve united North & South Korea under a democracy - another worldly problem solved.  Just thought I’d run those little tidbits past y’all.  Most of us know about them, but how many have put them all in a tidy package with a bow?  Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees.

Sadly, our Generals today are as politically motivated as our politicians, which begs the question, where are our great leaders?  Who has sense enough to write the instructions on the heel?  Unfortunately there aren’t many Trumps around.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we call back then, “the good old days”?  When I was a tyke in the mid fifties, we’d play outside all day.  Rode our bikes up & down the road in safety, even into the night.  I’ve thought back why we were so safe.  Knowing the fathers in our neighborhood, had something happened to any of us, all would’ve gathered and had the perpetrator been caught, I honestly think Justice would’ve been swift and lethal.  I think it was a thorough deterrent.  Is there a point that we become to “civilized”?  That sounds absurd, but I think it’s true.  While the bulk of humanity becomes more civilized, the evil part appears to become more evil, and with fewer deterrents, runs rampant through us.  Since we’re so “civilized”, when the bad folks are caught, they’re treated with kid gloves instead of a quick and severe sentence.  As usual, I can only recognize the problem and have few acceptable solutions.  The real effective solutions won’t be used because we’re to “civilized”.  For instance, if a man rapes a little girl & is caught, hang him at halftime during the Super Bowl.  Let the National TV audience see him withering on the end of a rope, as his bowels and bladder empty and the scumbag takes his last breath.  And that my friends is why I’m not in charge, 😄.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the best of times, was the worst of times.  I lived through some of both.  I was a kid when being a kid was fun.  To our knowledge back then, at least in the little town of Vidor, there were no pedophiles and we were safe.  But when going to Beaumont I saw the White Only water fountains, and cafes.  None of us had A/C or TV.  I remember my sister & I  sitting in front of the radio listening to Inner Sanctum.  We had a window fan & each bedroom had an oscillating fan.  Going to Sears in Beaumont was a treat.  First they had A/C, and one of the great marvels of all time, an escalator to ride.  

Then came the 17” Admiral TV & a window unit.  Being the youngest I was the antenna controller.  We had Ch 2 in Houston & Ch 11 in Galveston.  Hager, get the antenna.  I’d go out & twist - they’re hollering, “Getting better yes, yes, a little more.  No, oh hell, you went to far, turn it back, yes, yes,  STOP!”  Not a great job, but important, lol.

Yep, there was some good & some bad.

Having advocated loading illegal immigrants on buses and shipping to DC for about a year, there’s been a groundswelll of support to make me Governor.  Donations are pouring in and thus far my treasurer (my wife) said the total is near $7.  I appreciate all of you donating, and for those donating in the future, you’ll receive a mason jar full of fresh air from downtown Evadale.  Open it - take a whiff - and you’ll appreciate the air where you live.

Stay on this site for new and equally good incentives in the future and keep the money rolling in.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:51 PM, Hagar said:

There are quite a few books on “life after death” experiences.  I’ve read a couple, many years ago.  Many scientists (Doctors) say it’s just the brain “firing” after the heart stops, creating false memories - or what we wish was happening.  That explanation may be true in some cases, I’ve no idea.  Still, there’s some of those cases that report their spirit leaving the body and before moving on, watching the medical people trying to revive them.  Many accurately report the goings on while they were ‘dead’, of things they would otherwise have no idea happened.  There are several significant things I remember from these books.  The overwhelming feeling of love/joy/security they all felt as they traveled toward, and were in the presence of the Light/God.  Many didn’t want to return to their bodies, and 100% of them said they no longer feared death.  As I get older, that’s a comforting memory.

Just saw this article and remembered my post here.  It confirms that “something” happens when you die.  It contends it’s not just over when you die.  What happens to each individual is still a mystery as not all relate the same experience.  Is it based on our religion?  I believe so.  My faith indicates it’s so.  But even if that’s the case, I think it’s quite possible that those (that are atheists) experiences may differ depending on ????????.  Way over my pay grade.  Hope you take the time to read this.

This is the hidden content, please

Saw this posted on another site.  Moistens my eyes a bit.  I fear that something like this will be nothing but a memory in a few years.  The idiots (Woke idiots) guiding our mores have little respect for anything.  This man died with no family left, but he was a veteran, and other veterans responded.

RIP Ed, and a salute to you sir.  🥇🥇🥇 🙏🙏🙏

Once again I’m going to post about things based on my opinion.  I’m not intelligent enough to explain this clearly, but y’all will hopefully get the idea.

We face numerous problems in this country.  One of our big problems is our loss of integrity, honesty and honor.  Those are old world words that once had value, meaning.  It would be impossible for me to name a single politician with those values.  It’s possible there are some, but I don’t know them.  So few of us today have them.  I, myself fall short in some respects.  I pray God will send us such men and women.  We need them. Badly.

Ran across this story today.  A Dr. was charged with killing patients with pain killers.  Appears the patients all had terminal illnesses.  He prescribed fentanyl.  Be advised that fentanyl is used for many terminal patients for pain.  I wasn’t aware of this until recently.  If you’ve never had a family member with terminal illness, or severe pain, here’s some interesting info.  Patients with severe pain build up tolerance to pain killers.  What is working in April may not be working in July.  Dr’s are extremely concerned about meeting a balance to alleviate the pain but not cause death via overdose.  And patients in pain may self medicate and cause their own death - Example, take one of these 4 times a day.  Patient takes all four at once, and dies.  The tolerance is the reason you see so many taking street meds dying.  If they’re designed to get a long time addicted person high, that same dose will kill someone who’s never used, or rarely used pain medication.  Doctors are caught in this conundrum.  Let the terminal patient suffer or possibly give him pain meds that may cause his/her demise.  This Doctor was acquitted.  From what little I know of this case, I agree.

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

Ran across this story today.  A Dr. was charged with killing patients with pain killers.  Appears the patients all had terminal illnesses.  He prescribed fentanyl.  Be advised that fentanyl is used for many terminal patients for pain.  I wasn’t aware of this until recently.  If you’ve never had a family member with terminal illness, or severe pain, here’s some interesting info.  Patients with severe pain build up tolerance to pain killers.  What is working in April may not be working in July.  Dr’s are extremely concerned about meeting a balance to alleviate the pain but not cause death via overdose.  And patients in pain may self medicate and cause their own death - Example, take one of these 4 times a day.  Patient takes all four at once, and dies.  The tolerance is the reason you see so many taking street meds dying.  If they’re designed to get a long time addicted person high, that same dose will kill someone who’s never used, or rarely used pain medication.  Doctors are caught in this conundrum.  Let the terminal patient suffer or possibly give him pain meds that may cause his/her demise.  This Doctor was acquitted.  From what little I know of this case, I agree.

If they are terminal, what it the difference?

Let’s see, he probably was going to die on Saturday but was in so much pain that he accidentally overdosed and died on Wednesday!!

He was accidentally robbed out of up to 72 hours more of painful life!!! 

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Let’s see, he probably was going to die on Saturday but was in so much pain that he accidentally overdosed and died on Wednesday!!

I thought Kevorkian shouldn’t have been charged, but that’s just me. 

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

My point exactly (great minds think alike & so do not so great ones, lol).  If I’m a Dr & a terminally ill patient wanted more pain meds, help yourself.  It’s bad enough being terminal, much less being in pain.  But the Fed Govt, unable to control drugs on the street but feeling the need to do something, make it difficult for the medical community to prescribe pain meds to those who really need it.  My guess, at least one, probably several, of the relatives started seeing a potential windfall.  Perhaps, as in the Paul Newman movie, The Verdict, they were initially approached by a lawyer (ambulance chaser) who filled their heads with easy money.  The rest, not initially interested, get brought in eventually with - why not.  Anyway, glad the Dr. won the case and sincerely hope he returned to medicine.

2 hours ago, baddog said:

I thought Kevorkian shouldn’t have been charged, but that’s just me. 

Agree or disagree, I understand the assisted suicide debate. Kevorkian should have been charged and needed be charged. His response was, I don’t like the law so I am going to help kill a person. 

21 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Agree or disagree, I understand the assisted suicide debate. Kevorkian should have been charged and needed be charged. His response was, I don’t like the law so I am going to help kill a person. 

Of course all topics are debatable. These people sought him out knowing he would assist their suicide, something they had already contemplated and were too afraid to carry out themselves. Some could have been messy. I realize what the law says about murder…..yet we have abortion. (Not trying to change the subject)

5 hours ago, baddog said:

Of course all topics are debatable. These people sought him out knowing he would assist their suicide, something they had already contemplated and were too afraid to carry out themselves. Some could have been messy. I realize what the law says about murder…..yet we have abortion. (Not trying to change the subject)

Actually I wasn’t discussing pro or con assisted suicide. 

I was talking about the fact that he intentionally broke the law. He had to be charged or they effectively end the law.

Scenario: Any hot topic law 

State: We absolutely will not pass such a law. (Gambling, Assisted Suicide, Marijuana, etc.)

Person Objecting In Public Statement: I don’t care about your stinking law, I am going to start by (opening a casino, start killing people, open a store front open air marijuana store, etc.)

State: Okay, we will not enforce that law then.

If you could negate any law simply by making a public statement against or for any law and then doing it, there would be no laws.

THAT is only what I meant about agree/disagree. I was pointing out that you said he should not have been charged and I think the state had absolutely had no choice but to charge him. To do otherwise would be a de facto repeal of their own law.

I am neither for nor against assistant suicide. It is a rare topic where I am not sure of my opinion.