*The Chalk Talk Thread/What Would You Do?*

KFDM COOP

Here is another element to the Chalk Talk I want to bring in. This one involves strategy. Recently, the Hawaii-Louisiana Tech game made me think of this senario.

Let's say that you are facing a high-powered offense and it is a high scoring game and the game is a district game that is the decider on whether you go to the playoffs or stay at home. Your offense has managed to stay in the game and you find yourself down by one pending an extra point to tie the game and send it into overtime or a win pending a successful two point attempt. You know your defense will not stop the high-powered offense in overtime and your offense is not exactly equipped to handle shoot outs with a high octane offense.

What do you do? Lay it all on the line and go for the win? Or do you take the extra point and send it to overtime and take your chances? As you know, the extra point is not exactly a given. Neither is the two pointer.

Season is on the line.. You make the call! Explain your reasons for making your choice.

Around this time of the game, I'm either excited, nerved up, or very very angry.  In this case, I would be very excited at this point with the above senerio.  I would kick the extra point and hope I win the coin flip.  Obviously, your offense did someting to keep you in the game to this point.  I wouldnt' go for the 2 points at the end of regulation because your either a genius or a dope.  50/50 chance.  I'm conserative so the FG would be kicked by me.

Around this time of the game, I'm either excited, nerved up, or very very angry.  In this case, I would be very excited at this point with the above senerio.  I would kick the extra point and hope I win the coin flip.  Obviously, your offense did someting to keep you in the game to this point.  I wouldnt' go for the 2 points at the end of regulation because your either a genius or a dope.  50/50 chance.  I'm conserative so the FG would be kicked by me.

reference the Dayton/Central game last year

Well, no.  That's one of those things that happened.  The FG got blocked in that game and the first time all last year.  We had a good kicker.  That was a great play by Dayton.  on that play, the chances of Central missing that extra point was less than 10%.  So the chances of making it was 90%.  I'll take those chances with Coop's senerio.

Guest ECBucFan

I stare my offense in the eye...and demand they prove their manhood....by ramming that ball right over the goalline. No fancy tricks, or finnesse passes, just simply line up and smash it in, and WIN THE GAME!

I'm telling you I saw Jasper go for the extra point against Gilmer. It still hunts them I know. Every time they went for two, they converted. At the end they were in this situation. The went for the tie. They missed it. You play to win. You gota go for the win. I would.                                                                                                         

I'm telling you I saw Jasper go for the extra point against Gilmer. It still hunts them I know. Every time they went for two, they converted. At the end they were in this situation. The went for the tie. They missed it. You play to win. You gota go for the win. I would.                                                                                                           

My thoughts exactly. Play to win. I gain my teams confidence by asking them, "You want to win it?"  Of course the answer will always be yes from the kids.  :D

OMG!!! :o :o :o :o

Soulja com'on man, 2000 Deer Park. Dixon could have went for two for win. Playoff chances riding on this. He kicked extra point. Ball hits center in the ---. Game over. No playoffs and all the players told me they asked him to go for the 2 points. As a matter of fact, C Coleman the kicker told enoch he didn't feel comfortable kicking in that situation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317