High Island forfeits to Deweyville

AggiesAreWe

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

From Ashly Elam

High Island has forfeited this week’s game against Deweyville due to COVID-19. Pirates awarded a 21-0 win. Deweyville (7-2, 5-0) heads to the playoffs as top seed out of 12-2A-DII. First outright district title since 1985. Cardinals season ends at (1-8, 1-4).

I know you’ve probably stated it before (or someone has), but how do they arrive at 21 points?

• WOSgrad changed the title to High Island forfeits to Deweyville
12 hours ago, NetCat said:

Ridiculous, they should play the game if they have 11. Hate it for those seniors and for the team going to the playoffs. Tough to take a week off right before the playoffs. Kills your rhythm. 

This may be one of the dumbest comments ever.  If they have 11 play the game, yeah right.  Who in their right mind would try to play a varsity football game with just 11 kids.  Plus if they cancelled an Area Round volleyball game because of covid, then it must be serious.  I know those kids in HI, would strap it up no matter what, in the face of all odds, but there are things that are beyond their control.

43 minutes ago, Just an old Coach said:

This may be one of the dumbest comments ever.  If they have 11 play the game, yeah right.  Who in their right mind would try to play a varsity football game with just 11 kids.  Plus if they cancelled an Area Round volleyball game because of covid, then it must be serious.  I know those kids in HI, would strap it up no matter what, in the face of all odds, but there are things that are beyond their control.

Not only would they play, but Matt Miracle, who I know not to be a big believer in shutting down for covid, would have them out there.

It makes you wonder if the decision not to play these games this is not coming out of the coaches' offices, but rather the administration buildings.

1 hour ago, Just an old Coach said:

They would not play the Dale earlier this year. Refused. Sabine Pass played without power that week. Evadale even tried to move the game to HI, changing their homecoming, just to get the game in. But they wouldn't do it. So don't tell us "would strap it up no matter what". 

39 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Not only would they play, but Matt Miracle, who I know not to be a big believer in shutting down for covid, would have them out there.

It makes you wonder if the decision not to play these games this is not coming out of the coaches' offices, but rather the administration buildings.

This is probably what is happening. 

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I understand that High Island also forfeited their area round volleyball game so their forfeiture to Deweyville looks to truly have been due to an ongoing covid problem.

Perhaps the cancellations were due to actual active cases or at least a positive test.  If there happens to be siblings (sister volleyball player / brother football player) then I'm pretty certain the rules say they must quarantine being in the same household.  Or.. if a positive test in either locker room the whole team would quarantine per UIL/TEA mandate.  People's feelings on the seriousness of the virus are irrelevant.  The state hasn't lifted the regulations.. so.. Out of anyone's hands. 

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Perhaps the cancellations were due to actual active cases or at least a positive test.  If there happens to be siblings (sister volleyball player / brother football player) then I'm pretty certain the rules say they must quarantine being in the same household.  Or.. if a positive test in either locker room the whole team would quarantine per UIL/TEA mandate.  People's feelings on the seriousness of the virus are irrelevant.  The state hasn't lifted the regulations.. so.. Out of anyone's hands. 

You'd think so, but it's my understanding that every district is doing it differently. If so, it's up HI on who is quarantined (for those kids who aren't positive).