West Orange Stark vs Hardin-Jefferson

monknuk68

20 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Hey, some still call BISD Stadium "Da Butch", I will still call the Mustang defense the Chain Gang.

NO, SIR..... that term has been deemed racist and offensive to minorities by those who matter, and any further use of that type of language WILL get you banned from this site, sir.  

It's just like when my homosexual coworker changed his name from "Kenny" to "Brayden." We all respected his wishes and understood that our jobs were on the line if we taunted him with this former name.  

Do you understand me?

18 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Nope he thinks he's immune. Rules only apply to those they want to apply their rule to. Like both of us brother

If you can, quote me the forum rule that prohibits calling the WO-S defense the "Chain Gang?"

Hint, you won't find one.  I set the policy on nickname of the Mustang defense back when the WO-C CISD set out its edict.  I said that in official SETXsports.com content, i.e. previews, broadcast threads, game threads, we would abide by the decision of the WO-C CISD.  However, individual posters would not be penalized.  The same policy that was adopted when Beaumont ISD first named it's stadium the "Carroll A. 'Butch' Thomas Educational Support Center" and again when it was renamed "Beaumont ISD Memorial Stadium,"  I told folks that we would not penalize anybody for still calling the stadium "The Butch."

See, we are a platform and there is only so far we can go to restrict language.  Of course, we have some leeway there, but you will see that our rules are pretty standard.

I think the real angst should be toward the WO-C CISD, a governmental entity who deigned to regulate speech of, not only residents and participants of the district but the public at large, over an unofficial nickname of the defense of the high school's football team. 

I can quote you a rule that prohibits that.

39 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

If you can, quote me the forum rule that prohibits calling the WO-S defense the "Chain Gang?"

Hint, you won't find one.  I set the policy on nickname of the Mustang defense back when the WO-C CISD set out its edict.  I said that in official SETXsports.com content, i.e. previews, broadcast threads, game threads, we would abide by the decision of the WO-C CISD.  However, individual posters would not be penalized.  The same policy that was adopted when Beaumont ISD first named it's stadium the "Carroll A. 'Butch' Thomas Educational Support Center" and again when it was renamed "Beaumont ISD Memorial Stadium,"  I told folks that we would not penalize anybody for still calling the stadium "The Butch."

See, we are a platform and there is only so far we can go to restrict language.  Of course, we have some leeway there, but you will see that our rules are pretty standard.

I think the real angst should be toward the WO-C CISD, a governmental entity who deigned to regulate speech of, not only residents and participants of the district but the public at large, over an unofficial nickname of the defense of the high school's football team. 

I can quote you a rule that prohibits that.

Not uptight at the board at all... it's just kinda nutty when the school/team announce that the name is insensitive and offensive and one of the mods says "who cares, I'll call them what I want."

It's a slur.  Plain and simple. 

@WOSgrad

I understand your position and the rules that apply. Like my red feathered friend suggested...

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's a slur.  Plain and simple. 

The complete lack of respect for our school's decision, and the kids involved with program, is a slap in the face to all WOS grads. Especially by someone who is in a public position that reaches listeners from all over the world on Friday nights. I wonder how siLbee, or now BISD would feel about his arrogant behavior towards their students. Or is it just WOS that he has a problem with? Either way, apparantly some feel free to use whatever colorful metaphors that they have always used.

32 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

@WOSgrad

I understand your position and the rules that apply. Like my red feathered friend suggested...

The complete lack of respect for our school's decision, and the kids involved with program, is a slap in the face to all WOS grads. Especially by someone who is in a public position that reaches listeners from all over the world on Friday nights. I wonder how siLbee, or now BISD would feel about his arrogant behavior towards their students. Or is it just WOS that he has a problem with? Either way, apparantly some feel free to use whatever colorful metaphors that they have always used.

I understand your position and as I said back when the edict was made, out of respect for friends and classmates of mine (one of who is the current President of the WO-C ISD School Board, another who is the current Vice-President of that same board) I would abide by the wishes of the school district (or at least the wishes of the superintendent) and not use the name but rather refer to them as the Mustang defense.  I don't agree with it, I think there are real 1st amendment implications of it, but I will still abide

However, as I am sure you have seen...I know I have...there are several on this site, many of them graduates of West Orange-Stark like you and I, who have indicated a refusal to abide by the district's edict and are not enamored with the district's new nick name for the Mustang defense.  Yet, you have provided a rebuke for only one.  Outside of his use of it in this thread, I don't know if AAW has used that term or has even referred to the Mustang defense at all since the district's edict.

I understand you have issues with him.  Anyone that has read your responses to his posts can catch that.  And I know that we on this staff are not perfect (I certainly know I am not) and are not above criticism, but this is starting to go a bit far.

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I understand your position and as I said back when the edict was made, out of respect for friends and classmates of mine (one of who is the current President of the WO-C ISD School Board, another who is the current Vice-President of that same board) I would abide by the wishes of the school district (or at least the wishes of the superintendent) and not use the name but rather refer to them as the Mustang defense.  I don't agree with it, I think there are real 1st amendment implications of it, but I will still abide

However, as I am sure you have seen...I know I have...there are several on this site, many of them graduates of West Orange-Stark like you and I, who have indicated a refusal to abide by the district's edict and are not enamored with the district's new nick name for the Mustang defense.  Yet, you have provided a rebuke for only one.  Outside of his use of it in this thread, I don't know if AAW has used that term or has even referred to the Mustang defense at all since the district's edict.

I understand you have issues with him.  Anyone that has read your responses to his posts can catch that.  And I know that we on this staff are not perfect (I certainly know I am not) and are not above criticism, but this is starting to go a bit far.

“The board is doing away with "chain gang,” a long-time nickname used by the defense of the West Orange-Stark High School football team according to the announcement.

The nickname is being dropped due to the “negative historical root of the phrase” according to the statement.”

It doesn’t really matter how “fond” of the slur that your moderator is, or how accustomed he is to using that label now that they’ve asked all of us to stop using it.  

At this point he needs to stop using that insulting name and apologize for being insensitive, or give up his position of authority here.  

There’s no excuse for continuing to use a slur once somebody points out your shortcoming, and it definitely shouldn’t be excused like it sounds like you’re trying to do.