Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the USA

BADSANTA

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Disagree.  Trump has reversed 8 regulations for every new one put in since he took office.   REgulations are a huge impediment to businesses and discourage expansion/more employment from those businesses.  Also, cutting the corporate tax rate made a substantial difference.  While I agree about the cyclicality of the economy, I will also say that government policy cannot change the cyclicality but it can influence the volatility within the cycle.  A good example is the FACT that Mr. Obama is the first president NEVER to have a 3% GDP in a single year during his presidency.

Good point. 

2 hours ago, Setx fan said:

There was a lot of resistance. It wasn’t so much about him being against business. It was about businesses being against him. You make them mad. They take their toys and go home. All in all the presidency doesn’t effect my life financially unless someone really makes some drastic changes 

I'd disagree....  The only color business cares about is green.  The only thing he did to make them mad was be anti-business, lol.   If I had to guess, President Obama didn't have a hand in a lot of the things that were going on while he was in office.  Obama was the most progressive president that we've had so far.  The people who were appointed to positions throughout his administration were exceptionally liberal/progressive, and what you saw were regs and policies that negatively affected business and the economy.  I'll be curious to see if that proposed new Chevron plant in Orange comes to exist if we elect a new president who's promising to end fossil fuel use and turn us onto new green energy sources. The Department of Energy and the EPA can absolutely hamstring that deal if the president lets them.  When a candidate runs on promises of new programs that will help everybody, and the question of "how will we pay for it" always comes back to "we're gonna make Wall Street pay their fair share!"  I don't know how you're situated financially, but it really helps if every time that a politician says "Wall Street," change that wording to "your 401k" and you'll get a lot more conservative, lol.  

You should have seen a boost in your pay after the tax cuts in 2017.  It was small, but it happened.  The tax plan actually hurt me a little bit because a lot of the business-related deductions that I was taking advantage of disappeared.  And I say "hurt" but it really didn't.  It used to be a no-brainer for me to file long form, and now that the standard deduction is bumped, standard vs itemized is really no difference for me-it's a wash, now.  

As far as affecting me personally? Not so much.  But then again, I'm not really expecting anything from the government.  I just kinda want to be left alone. Probably the most important part of the presidency is the appointment of federal judges and the selection of Supreme Court Justices.  Those nine wise souls play a bigger part in public policy than I think anyone ever imagined.  If you stop and think about it, most of the hot-button issues that we see today are ones that the Supreme Court decided, not Congress.  Roe vs. Wade on abortion, the legalization of same-sex marriage, and even the results of the 2000 Presidential Election are the first ones that pop into my mind.   

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'd disagree....  The only color business cares about is green.  The only thing he did to make them mad was be anti-business, lol.   If I had to guess, President Obama didn't have a hand in a lot of the things that were going on while he was in office.  Obama was the most progressive president that we've had so far.  The people who were appointed to positions throughout his administration were exceptionally liberal/progressive, and what you saw were regs and policies that negatively affected business and the economy.  I'll be curious to see if that proposed new Chevron plant in Orange comes to exist if we elect a new president who's promising to end fossil fuel use and turn us onto new green energy sources. The Department of Energy and the EPA can absolutely hamstring that deal if the president lets them.  When a candidate runs on promises of new programs that will help everybody, and the question of "how will we pay for it" always comes back to "we're gonna make Wall Street pay their fair share!"  I don't know how you're situated financially, but it really helps if every time that a politician says "Wall Street," change that wording to "your 401k" and you'll get a lot more conservative, lol.  

You should have seen a boost in your pay after the tax cuts in 2017.  It was small, but it happened.  The tax plan actually hurt me a little bit because a lot of the business-related deductions that I was taking advantage of disappeared.  And I say "hurt" but it really didn't.  It used to be a no-brainer for me to file long form, and now that the standard deduction is bumped, standard vs itemized is really no difference for me-it's a wash, now.  

As far as affecting me personally? Not so much.  But then again, I'm not really expecting anything from the government.  I just kinda want to be left alone. Probably the most important part of the presidency is the appointment of federal judges and the selection of Supreme Court Justices.  Those nine wise souls play a bigger part in public policy than I think anyone ever imagined.  If you stop and think about it, most of the hot-button issues that we see today are ones that the Supreme Court decided, not Congress.  Roe vs. Wade on abortion, the legalization of same-sex marriage, and even the results of the 2000 Presidential Election are the first ones that pop into my mind.   

I never implied he was disliked because of his skin color although that was the case for some. In other cases he was disliked for his religion. As far as business people are concerned rather they liked those things about him probably wouldn’t effect their actions. They don’t operate off those feelings. They’re motivated by power and greed. Like I said, “You make them mad. They take their toys (resources) and go home”. Not that a few extra tax dollars hurts them. It’s just a power trip. All in all cooperations come and go. Some remain through the years. Some disappear. Some leave America and go open sweatshops in other countries. New corporations arrive. As far as 401k I would never allow anyone to profit off my labor long enough to collect that. I’d rather save and invest on my own. I don’t need anyone doing that for me. 

16 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I never implied he was disliked because of his skin color although that was the case for some. In other cases he was disliked for his religion.

As far as 401k I would never allow anyone to profit off my labor long enough to collect that. I’d rather save and invest on my own. I don’t need anyone doing that for me. 

Well, some people did dislike him over race and religion. Not all, not even a majority, but some did. I had lunch in a cafe on the square in Newton the day after Obama was elected. People were openly discussing it and it disintegrated into people telling n-word jokes. Openly, back-and-forth, table to table. The kind of “jokes” I hadn’t heard since I was a kid. I didn’t join in, but I didn’t say anything and I didn’t stand up and leave, either. There are a few things in life I’d like a chance to do over, and that’s on the short list. 
My company matches my contributions with another 25%. That 25%in year one is hard to leave on the table. Schwab handles our accounts and they have tons of options for the employee to choose from in regards to the actual stock and securities. It’s been good to me, lol. 

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'll be curious to see if that proposed new Chevron plant in Orange comes to exist if we elect a new president who's promising to end fossil fuel use and turn us onto new green energy sources.

Nope cant blame this on election. Last I heard plans were shut down. Possible due to Covid. Although Democrats regulations would be the nail in the coffin.

45 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Nope cant blame this on election. Last I heard plans were shut down. Possible due to Covid. Although Democrats regulations would be the nail in the coffin.

I haven’t heard that yet... the last that I sat the County was agreeing to a tax abatement for them. 
If the EPA won’t permit the thing, it does kinda go back to the guy who appoints the head of the EPA.