Coaches Cussing

Guest Pirate V Ball

It happens, but it shouldn't.  Coaches are still role models for their players.  Sadly, society has made it appropriate to curse in public.  You can see that on this thread.  Sure, we were all cursed around and at during our playing days, but it did not make it right.  What if a teacher cursed around students in the classroom because they got upset with the performance of numerous students on a test.  There would be an article in the paper and everyone would want the teacher reprimanded or terminated for it.  What is the difference?  A football field, baseball field, etc., is an extension of the classroom.  As I stated before, it happens, but it shouldn't!!

Way to shed some light on this topic.

What has it come to when we think that is what it takes to do our best at something?

HMMMMMMMMMM?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is.. kids are to sensitive today. were teenagers. we cuss eachother out its no secret. we belittle each other.. its no secret. it does no good anymore to go up to any of us and put an arm around us and say " aww stick your head up champ. youll gettem next time buddy. " but when a coach cusses at a player. it usually fires them up. so stop being baby's and stop making stupid threads. if you dont like coachs cussing dont play the game

i can handle a coach cussing...when its the right time,  if its called for and they use it to wake a kid up and get him to do what he needs to do.  that doesnt bother me at all.  but i dont really like the john gruden's of the world lol or that football coach in "not another teen movie"

I agree. There's a big difference in cursing around a HS player and cursing at them. I have no problem with the former and a big problem with the latter.

I do get a kick out of the parents that get their panties in a wad because their son's coach let fly with an F-bomb or an occasional vulgarity. Usually they're the same people that sit on the front pew in church but sin like beelzebub during the weekdays. Hypocrates seem to make the most noise.

I agree

King,

Help me out here.  I was the Public Address announcer for Catheral last football season.  That, of course, covers only home games.  I do not recall observing a "Fist fight" during any of Catheral's home games.  So, if your statement is true, then it must have been an "Away" game that you are referring to.  Would you care to say where you played last year or do you want to leave it at "Being cussed at doesn't bother me!."

Tigersvoice,

No it was a away game at Deweyville.

This is one stupid thread. When is it ever OK to cuss? What has cussing have to do with football? Yes, coaches are roll models and should act like one. Yes, coaches are teachers and the football field IS there classroom. I can't believe people come on here and say it is OK to cuss out a child. That just goes to show you where this world is and where it is going. Grow up and stand up people. Cussing is for stupid people who can't think of anything smart to say. Yes, people will falter, no one is perfect. But just think of what ya'll are saying. Just one stupid thread.

Cussing does not always convey intensity.  Your body language and the relationship you have with the kids can do a much better job.  As a coach, I refrain from cussing.  However, being human a word will occasionally slip.  I think that cussing shows a lack of education.  Using cuss words shows that you have a limited vocabulary.  As educators, we should be using every possible moment as a teaching  opportunity.  The only time I remember cussing and a kid hearing it was when I tore my ACL in BKB practice.  When I did that, he knew I was really hurt and not joking.

I have heard it all now.

This thread has a great moral and mature point for most aspects in life, but,

sounds to me like someone or someone they know got their feelings hurt.

Playing football results in players engaging in situations that result in at least two major components.

1.  Intensity

2.  Violent Collisions

Funny, how in this thread, cursing does not take a back seat to those two results.

Personnally, calling someone and idiot, or that they are stupid is just as wrong as

putting an adjective in front of it. 

There is no reason to cuss. You can accomplish the same thing without "vulger" language.  Yes it is very commonplace on the field and sideline but the great ones can do the job without it.  Of course, my idea of cussing and someone elses will be different.  Just ask my wife.

The best ones curse....It's part of their firey personality.  Do you think that Bobby Knight would get the same results out of his kids if he didn't do it?  Same thing in football.  Come on, people.  Quit being so sensitive.  If one of my players misses a block that he could have gotten, Imma let him have it.  If a cuss word comes out, then so be it.  If a kid  show-boats on the field and we get flag, I will have all kinds of curse words that weren't even invented yet!

The best ones curse....It's part of their firey personality.  Do you think that Bobby Knight would get the same results out of his kids if he didn't do it?  Same thing in football.  Come on, people.  Quit being so sensitive.  If one of my players misses a block that he could have gotten, Imma let him have it.  If a cuss word comes out, then so be it.  If a kid  show-boats on the field and we get flag, I will have all kinds of curse words that weren't even invented yet!

Two of the very best were in last years Superbowl and they have a different view.

I understand what they say, but you don't know what they be saying in that locker room.  That's an entirely different planet, trust me.  Anyways, Lovie Smith looks like a mean dude anyway.  I can see him cursing like a sailor! ;D ;D

I bet Lovie tries hard not to, along with Dungy. From all I have studied, Landry didn't and he got a few things done.

I agree with warfan. The great ones can get it done without it.

It presents a lack of character and professionalism in my opinion. If you can't control your mouth, you don't have much self control.

If it is one slip here and there, I could deal with that, but it shouldn't be blatant and intentional.

My opinion.

What do yall think about John Gruden then?  Bobby Knight?  Gruden has won a super  bowl and Bobby Knight is one of the greatest college coaches ever.

Everyone has their own style, who is to say one is more effective than the other.

I think you can get your point across without the cuss words

When I was in school one coach we had his favorite word was "Dadgumit" and believe me he was effective

I usually don't comment on many disscussions unless they pertain to specific sports topics.  This time I would like to say something.  I played for a great coach in the 60's and he would not tolerate cussing and we won back to back state championships.  The first year he was at Garland he fired a coach for cussing in front of players.  Every player on that team looked up to Coach Curtis.  I think that is the way all people should live their lives not just preachers.

What is going on here? Do some of ya'll know what ya'll are saying? This is pathetic. I'll ask again. When did it get to be OK to cuss? A man whose son and daughter was at Colubine (spelling) was ask to speak to congress about gun control and what he said to them shock them and was not taken very well. I will not talk about all of it just some. He said that it was not the NRA falt that the kids died, nor the guns makers. Did the slaves blame the clubs that beat them or the whips that hit them. No. They blamed the man that used them. His daughter had died and his son seen his friend killed. It was the boys falt. They were going to do it no matter what they had in there hands. He blamed the government for taken God out of school. If you take something away something has to fill the void. Evil filled the void when God was taken away by the government.  This is what I see here on this thread. Gruden is a good coach not great. What has he done after the SB? Knight is a great coach, but where is he coaching now? Do you laugh at pro players when something does not go there way and they mouth cuss words or do you have to explain to your child that is bad and you had better not catch them doing it? 

If you're equating a HS football coach using a four-letter word to murdering 14 innocent children, then you're the one that needs to be doing some thinking. That post was both incredibly melodramatic and somewhat sick, dude. Sorry. That's like when PETA equated the slaughter of chickens for meat to the extermination of Jews during the Holocaust.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder