Lumberton 34 Houston Wheatley 17/FINAL

WOSgrad

44 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

You don’t know where I’m sitting or where I’ve been. I’m not going to post the real issues I have with the coaches. If you want to know, I will PM you. The attendance at the home games is just like it was at their playoff game. I’m quite sure some parents had to work. But I’ll bet that’s not the case all the time. I was raised by a single mom with 5 brothers and sisters. Financially we had nothing. Ever. I worked since age 12 and had 2 part-time jobs in high school. I bought my own school clothes, paid for my school lunch because my mom wouldn’t sign up for the free/reduced lunch program. She said that there were other families that weren’t as “fortunate” as us to have 3 people in the family that could work (my mom, my older teenage sister and me). She gave us everything she had. I attended High School at Westbury in Houston my Freshman year. I dropped out of school as a freshman and went to work at a record store on S Post Oak. Rode my bike that I bought babysitting, throwing newspapers and cleaning the grounds and laundromat at our apartment complex. 7 of us in a 2 bedroom apartment, by the way. Started the 9th grade back in the fall at Westbury but soon moved to Lumberton in early September. I was a big kid, and I lifted weights and jogged on my own that summer. The counselor at Lumberton asked me if I ever thought about playing football. I told him yes, and I played football for the first time. I worked all through high school and graduated with honors. Attended Lamar where I also played for coach Ray Alborn. Playing high school football literally brought me from the ashes. I don’t know where YOU came from or what you do now, but I sure as Hell know where I’ve been. 

No offense, but the world you’re describing doesn’t exist anymore, I’m afraid. 

The areas where these inner city schools are decimated compared to what they were like in your youth. It’s like the epicenter of the breakdown of the nuclear family. The poverty issue goes hand in hand with that. You can go to a BC game and kids will have mom/stepdad, dad/stepmom, Grandparents, and maybe an aunt and uncle or two. It was unbelievable to look across the field and see a dozen or so North Forest fans in attendance. 

My hat is off to those coaches in places like Wheatley. They’re dealing with issues we’ve never dreamed of. 

22 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

You don’t know where I’m sitting or where I’ve been. I’m not going to post the real issues I have with the coaches. If you want to know, I will PM you. The attendance at the home games is just like it was at their playoff game. I’m quite sure some parents had to work. But I’ll bet that’s not the case all the time. I was raised by a single mom with 5 brothers and sisters. Financially we had nothing. Ever. I worked since age 12 and had 2 part-time jobs in high school. I bought my own school clothes, paid for my school lunch because my mom wouldn’t sign up for the free/reduced lunch program. She said that there were other families that weren’t as “fortunate” as us to have 3 people in the family that could work (my mom, my older teenage sister and me). She gave us everything she had. I attended High School at Westbury in Houston my Freshman year. I dropped out of school as a freshman and went to work at a record store on S Post Oak. Rode my bike that I bought babysitting, throwing newspapers and cleaning the grounds and laundromat at our apartment complex. 7 of us in a 2 bedroom apartment, by the way. Started the 9th grade back in the fall at Westbury but soon moved to Lumberton in early September. I was a big kid, and I lifted weights and jogged on my own that summer. The counselor at Lumberton asked me if I ever thought about playing football. I told him yes, and I played football for the first time. I worked all through high school and graduated with honors. Attended Lamar where I also played for coach Ray Alborn. Playing high school football literally brought me from the ashes. I don’t know where YOU came from or what you do now, but I sure as Hell know where I’ve been. 

Thanks for the life story but that's not what I was referring to. Nothing you stated justified our comments about the coaches and using the word "negligence". This is not about where you come from but what these coaches have to deal with. Also, football isn't as big in inner city schools these days either. 

10 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Thanks for the life story but that's not what I was referring to. Nothing you stated justified our comments about the coaches and using the word "negligence". This is not about where you come from but what these coaches have to deal with. Also, football isn't as big in inner city schools these days either. 

1. I said I would address the coaches in a PM if you wanted. Maybe abuse was better than negligence, anyhow. 2. I guess your own kids aren’t either? Just wondering what you meant.  I had 2 cheerleaders (high school and college). Not necessarily up my alley. I went to their competitions and camps to support THEM, not their sport.