Shepherd 68 Livingston 7/FINAL

WOSgrad

The Livingston Lions open their 2018 season tonight as they host the Shepherd Pirates.  The Lions, under new head coach Finis Vanover, come off of a 0-9 2017 campaign while Miles Robison's Pirates come off a 6-4 2017 campaign which saw them reach the bi-district round of the playoffs.

Join Ken Luck for all of the action from Lion Stadium in Livingston for the kickoff at 7:00 pm by tuning your radio to KETX 92.3 FM or by clicking on the following link:

This is the hidden content, please

Follow Livingston Lions Football on The Eagle, KETX 92.3 FM, and Your Source for Sports in Southeast Texas, SETXsports.com!

On 9/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Squigleman said:

So glad Broussard is gone so this would get fixed (oh wait this is smaller school not a 5A)

Nice first post, but this is the train wreck that Broussard left for somebody else to clean up in Livingston.

But, it is not all Broussard's fault, the talent is just not there right now to win or maybe even be competitive.

In Livingston this is the fault of the culture of the town at the moment, people expect to win without putting in the work it takes to be good. There is very little talent there at the moment and there is probably no coach in the state that could come in and fix it, but trying to blame it on Broussard will not work, the result against Shepherd is a regression no matter how you look at it. 

5 minutes ago, Squigleman said:

Looking back at records I think Broussard’s most lopsided loss was to a PAM team that had Vincent on it, 56-0, so I’m not buyin that 68 points against Shepherd is Broussard’s mess. No offense to Shepherd but I don’t see them in the same category as PAM.

I will agree that the Culture in the Livingston area is not conducive to success on the football field. However, Randy Rowe found a way to win with the same type of kids. I know for a fact that in Rowe's last year in Livingston he had 3 teams, with over 30 kids on each team and over a 100 in the program. After Broussard's 1st year in Livingston they never had more than 2 teams for more than 6 weeks and the overall numbers plummeted. Broussard ran off every quality coach left over from Rowe's staff, including 2 Livingston graduates who are both well respected in town and by the kids. Not a recipe for success.

4 hours ago, Squigleman said:

Looking back at records I think Broussard’s most lopsided loss was to a PAM team that had Vincent on it, 56-0, so I’m not buyin that 68 points against Shepherd is Broussard’s mess. No offense to Shepherd but I don’t see them in the same category as PAM.

In 2015...

Mag West beat them 58-0

College Station 86-23

And that's when they had Caddie.

5 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I will agree that the Culture in the Livingston area is not conducive to success on the football field. However, Randy Rowe found a way to win with the same type of kids. I know for a fact that in Rowe's last year in Livingston he had 3 teams, with over 30 kids on each team and over a 100 in the program. After Broussard's 1st year in Livingston they never had more than 2 teams for more than 6 weeks and the overall numbers plummeted. Broussard ran off every quality coach left over from Rowe's staff, including 2 Livingston graduates who are both well respected in town and by the kids. Not a recipe for success.

They hadn't had a winning season (over .500 record) since 1981 until Rowe got there.   Thats over  24 years of sub .500 seasons so he must have done something right.

I stand corrected, but would point out that only college station was worse than the Shepherd outing and again I think they are a little better than Shepherd.

I never watched Livingston when Rowe was there so I don’t feel qualified to say what he had going on, I do know he had more kids get scholarships than they have had recently, maybe he is just that good, maybe the talent pool was deeper. 

1 hour ago, Squigleman said:

I stand corrected, but would point out that only college station was worse than the Shepherd outing and again I think they are a little better than Shepherd.

I never watched Livingston when Rowe was there so I don’t feel qualified to say what he had going on, I do know he had more kids get scholarships than they have had recently, maybe he is just that good, maybe the talent pool was deeper. 

For the record, both of those schools you refer to are way bigger than Shepherd, so yes they should be better. So that makes the Shepherd score worse than both of those due to the fact that Shepherd is so much smaller than those schools and Livingston.

18 hours ago, scat_trap said:

In 2015...

Mag West beat them 58-0

College Station 86-23

And that's when they had Caddie.

That would be Broussard's second year?

That was his first REAL team after he ran all of the holdovers from Rowe's staff off and got all of HIS guys in there right?

They were total flexbone that year if I'm not mistaken and it was an unmitigated disaster, other than Caddie. That was the season that ended with 2 teams (JV/Varsity) and around 60-65 kids in the program?

15 hours ago, idk said:

For the record, both of those schools you refer to are way bigger than Shepherd, so yes they should be better. So that makes the Shepherd score worse than both of those due to the fact that Shepherd is so much smaller than those schools and Livingston.

They were't that much bigger than Livingston at the time. College Station was only in their 4th year of playing varsity football and it was only their 2nd season in 5A. Still have no idea why he scheduled Magnolia West, but that is a question for the man.