Current, former WO-S football players sought in spring break brawl

AggiesAreWe

Guest ECBucFan

Reverse things and the media and other groups would definitely be calling for a "hate crime" prosecution. Morris, Rufus, Deionte, and Daletredricc are all 18-21, so will be regarded as adults in the court of law.

Terrrible situation for all. I am so glad the young man survived the horrific beating that was inflicted. Hope he can make a full recovery.    

I feel bad that so much of our society has no character when it comes to how they treat one another. It's funny to kids today when they "sneak" somebody. I shake my head at the character of a group of 4 D1 level talented kids that would (allegedly)think that pile on another kid.... and then their friends would rejoice on social media. 

It's not just one race... it's prominent across the board. 

Dang. 

I wish kids understood that MOST peoples' reaction when witnessing violent acts isn't to whip out a phone and laughingly scream "worldstar!" 

Being gifted with obvious physical talents is also a curse. If you smack a girl in a restaurant someplace, you're a piece of crap. If you're a D1 running back and you smack a girl in a restaurant someplace, you are probably the biggest piece of crap on the planet.  If you run up and punch a kid in the back of the head at a basketball game, you are a coward. If you are a D1 prospect and you run up and punch the smallest kid on the other team in the back of the head, you are even worse than a coward. 

Also, people need to stop rushing to defend young men's character in these situations. "Well, I know Ray Rice and I can assure you that he is NOT a thug."  Ummmmmmm... The video indicates the opposite.  Now it's up to Ray to work hard and convince society that he's not the person that his actions have portrayed him to be. A lifetime of good deeds can be overshadowed by five seconds of grainy surveillance video.  

Its the same theory that USED to make hitting girls something to be ashamed of. That's not the case anymore. 

My unsolicited opinion? I suspect that the "victim" might not be so lily-clean and innocent of any wrongdoing. I also think that sometimes people could use a good man-to-man settling of a dispute. I think those sentiments don't compare to a situation where three or four athletes of this caliber beat a young man to this extent. 

I hope there is evidence that proves who all is responsible and who all is wrongly accused. 

Guest ECBucFan

From the victims Mom: 

Smalley saw a short video of her son bleeding and in pain after he was beaten. She posted her account of the assault on social media, where she explained that her son was not a participant in a fight.

"The incident started as a large fight began to erupt on the beach; a fight between two groups that my son was not a party to, and as he was attempting to move himself and a young lady away," Smalley told the Chronicle.

"He allegedly got too close and was mistaken as a party. This was when he was blindsided by a sucker punch to the face as his back was turned. As he lay defenseless, others joined and he was kicked, and possibly hit, in the face. The beating resulted in substantial injuries. In addition to a concussion, every bone in his face above the mandible is either broken or fractured."

Noah Frillou deserves justice.  What form that justice should take should be determined by the jury in Galveston County...not in the news...not in the social media.  For that is the venue, and the only venue, where all facts involving this incident will be provided.  As much as we think we might, I would wager that none of us here know all of the facts....I sure know that I don't.  Yet we stand here in social media, ready to convict the 4 young men without having all of those facts labeling them as "thugs."  Some even willing to elevate it to the level of hate crime.  Yet those who do decry such a rush to judgment and demand mitigation of facts when a white police officer kills an black individual while in the line of duty and is again prematurely, and as it turns out usually wrongfully, accused of outright murder of some and also, a hate crime.  Such rash judgments by either side are not justice, yet these judgments have the effect of sticking with the all of the accused, whether the young men or the police officer, for the rest of their lives even if they are cleared by our criminal justice system. 

I wonder if warrants issued for the 4 young men after a brawl at Crystal Beach would have received such zestful coverage by KBMT had the alleged assailants been four students from Bridge City instead of current and former football players from West Orange-Stark.  Yes, I understand that if you are willing to receive the glory of a state championship in December, you have to be ready to endure the reports of negative incidents, too.  However, would Noah's injuries be any less severe had they been inflicted by someone who is not a football player or from Buna?  I know that some will in a silly manner claim so just because of the name of the school, just like "Whoa" did in the post before me.  I just hope that if after all facts are revealed and these young men are cleared, that KBMT report the news of the exoneration with as much fanfare as they did of the warrants.  Sadly, as in most incidents, I fear that such coverage would be far too little and way to late.

Let me make it clear, I am not here to proclaim innocence of those young men.  I like, all of you, know nothing of the facts of this matter.  If after a trial, a right guaranteed to us all by our Constitution, the facts reveal the they committed these crimes then they deserve the sentence as provided under Texas criminal law.  Until then, NOBODY can declare their guilt, besmirch their character, or as has just been done, label an entire community.

13 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Noah Frillou deserves justice.  What form that justice should take should be determined by the jury in Galveston County...not in the news...not in the social media.  For that is the venue, and the only venue, where all facts involving this incident will be provided.  As much as we think we might, I would wager that none of us here know all of the facts....I sure know that I don't.  Yet we stand here in social media, ready to convict the 4 young men without having all of those facts labeling them as "thugs."  Some even willing to elevate it to the level of hate crime.  Yet those who do decry such a rush to judgment and demand mitigation of facts when a white police officer kills an black individual while in the line of duty and is again prematurely, and as it turns out usually wrongfully, accused of outright murder of some and also, a hate crime.  Such rash judgments by either side are not justice, yet these judgments have the effect of sticking with the all of the accused, whether the young men or the police officer, for the rest of their lives even if they are cleared by our criminal justice system. 

I wonder if warrants issued for the 4 young men after a brawl at Crystal Beach would have received such zestful coverage by KBMT had the alleged assailants been four students from Bridge City instead of current and former football players from West Orange-Stark.  Yes, I understand that if you are willing to receive the glory of a state championship in December, you have to be ready to endure the reports of negative incidents, too.  However, would Noah's injuries be any less severe had they been inflicted by someone who is not a football player or from Buna?  I know that some will in a silly manner claim so just because of the name of the school, just like "Whoa" did in the post before me.  I just hope that if after all facts are revealed and these young men are cleared, that KBMT report the news of the exoneration with as much fanfare as they did of the warrants.  Sadly, as in most incidents, I fear that such coverage would be far too little and way to late.

Let me make it clear, I am not here to proclaim innocence of those young men.  I like, all of you, know nothing of the facts of this matter.  If after a trial, a right guaranteed to us all by our Constitution, the facts reveal the they committed these crimes then they deserve the sentence as provided under Texas criminal law.  Until then, NOBODY can declare their guilt, besmirch their character, or as has just been done, label an entire community.

Good post, but "no."

it probably would not have made the news if it was four white kids beating another white. It absolutely wouldn't have made the news if it was four blacks beating another black kid... unless he was homosexual. The media is in the business of selling advertising, and racial animus always works. 

It always sells more advertising if people can identify the person who screwed up. Does anybody care if I get caught cheating on my wife? Nope. Let the televangelist get caught stepping out and see what happens.  Is it fair? Nope.  Is it always going to happen that way? Yup. Is it pointless just to point out the unfairness? Yup.  

But the problem isn't whether or not the media is being selective with their coverage... the problem is that some kid got his face crushed. We heard the same things month before last after the brawl at the Silsbee/LCM game. If you don't want to have your mugshot on ESPN, don't do dumb stuff.

The thing to look at is how we, as a collective group of citizens, family members, coaches, etc... have raised young humans with so little decency and lack of accountability. We've stepped back and praised our kids' successes while overlooking their shortcomings, and they get their values from "worldstar" and twitter instead of their own family or church family. 

I don't want to single a kid out, but... I wonder how many Silsbee Tiger fans explained to their kids just how cowardly that attack in LCM was... and how many others just complained that the kid got benched for the year. Or how many of our parents made excuses for our twitter artist  and blamed the publicity instead of focusing on the fact that what the kid did was inexcusable?

I hope those responsible get punished and anyone wrongly accused does not. 

57 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Good post, but "no."

it probably would not have made the news if it was four white kids beating another white. It absolutely wouldn't have made the news if it was four blacks beating another black kid... unless he was homosexual. The media is in the business of selling advertising, and racial animus always works. 

It always sells more advertising if people can identify the person who screwed up. Does anybody care if I get caught cheating on my wife? Nope. Let the televangelist get caught stepping out and see what happens.  Is it fair? Nope.  Is it always going to happen that way? Yup. Is it pointless just to point out the unfairness? Yup.  

But the problem isn't whether or not the media is being selective with their coverage... the problem is that some kid got his face crushed. We heard the same things month before last after the brawl at the Silsbee/LCM game. If you don't want to have your mugshot on ESPN, don't do dumb stuff.

The thing to look at is how we, as a collective group of citizens, family members, coaches, etc... have raised young humans with so little decency and lack of accountability. We've stepped back and praised our kids' successes while overlooking their shortcomings, and they get their values from "worldstar" and twitter instead of their own family or church family. 

I don't want to single a kid out, but... I wonder how many Silsbee Tiger fans explained to their kids just how cowardly that attack in LCM was... and how many others just complained that the kid got benched for the year. Or how many of our parents made excuses for our twitter artist  and blamed the publicity instead of focusing on the fact that what the kid did was inexcusable?

I have absolutely no problem with what you said and again, if they are convicted what they are accused of, they deserve every bit of the sentence that they receive and all ramifications, both in and outside of the legal system, that come along with it.

My issue the rush to convict these young men for a crime before all facts are revealed to prove whether or not they did what they are currently accused of.

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I asked if this was considered a hate crime simply because I'm not sure what qualifies a crime as a hate crime. I could guess, but there may be more to it.

Personally, I don't care where the kids are from. Crime is crime and one has to be from somewhere. I can truthfully say this......I hate when anyone is ganged up on. That shows cowardice.

Guest ECBucFan

Well, lets be clear about this. If, as I said, THE ROLES WERE REVERSED, there would be in all likely hood be a massive outcry and hard allegations of it being a "hate crime" being screamed by the media. They would run the beating on TV 24/7 to inflame the masses, and groups like BLM would likely be marching in the streets of Galveston. From there, who knows what COULD happen when mob mentality takes over. Riots? Windows smashed? Patrol cars torched? LEO's assaulted? Certainly not a sure thing by any means but entirely possible.

Instead of worrying about the ALLEGED (OK?) perpetrators who absolutely deserves fair trials, lets concern ourselves about the victim, Noah Frillou, why don't we? More from his Mom:

His mother, Kim Smalley, saw a short video of her son bleeding and in pain after he was beaten. She posted her account of the assault on social media, where she explained that her son was not a participant in a fight.

"The incident started as a large fight began to erupt on the beach; a fight between two groups that my son was not a party to, and as he was attempting to move himself and a young lady away," "He allegedly got too close and was mistaken as a party. This was when he was blindsided by a sucker punch to the face as his back was turned. As he lay defenseless, others joined and he was kicked, and possibly hit, in the face. The beating resulted in substantial injuries. In addition to a concussion, every bone in his face above the mandible is either broken or fractured.

"He will have a surgery to insert titanium plates to connect the pieces of bone that support the mandible. This will stabilize the jaw so it will be aligned and open and close correctly. The jaw will be wired shut and he will have a tracheotomy. As of now, he has been withdrawn from college and we deal with the concussion symptoms day by day. His face will never be the same and his future has been altered. This incident has completely turned our world upside down and impacted everyone in our family. "

This innocent boy was beaten within an inch of his young life. That is what we need to focus on. Noah, you are in my prayers. May God heal you and comfort you and your family. 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, CardinalBacker said:

Good post, but "no."

AMEN to the BOLD and UNDERLINED

On 4/15/2017 at 8:48 AM, WOSgrad said:

Just an outstanding post.  Some may tire of my constant preaching of the presumption of innocence on this board.  But it is one of the cornerstones of this country and one that so many seem to forget or disregard.  You are 100% correct.   None of us are in a position to judge anyone in this case.  Those that are able to see all of the evidence will have that responsibility.