DC Church Picks Married Lesbian Couple to Lead

Hagar

Every church has different ideologies.  While this may not align with some Christian views, I'd argue that it's no worse than the local churches that I know about that kicked gays out of the congregation, while embracing young, unwed mothers (and every other type of sinners, as long as they weren't homosexual).

53 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Every church has different ideologies.  While this may not align with some Christian views, I'd argue that it's no worse than the local churches that I know about that kicked gays out of the congregation, while embracing young, unwed mothers (and every other type of sinners, as long as they weren't homosexual).

Good for those churches, and boo for you for hating on unwed mothers who are looking for help.

Jesus spoke of people like this; Mark 7, "7They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules. 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions. 9And he continued, "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!"

First, we better not exempt all sinners from taking the pulpit.  We'd have a serious deficit of Pastors worldwide.  My question is does this "couple" consider their lifestyle a sin or do they promote it?  Looks like promotion.  I don't believe in kicking out homosexuals from a church because no sin is greater than another.  We shouldn't kick out any other sinner either.  I mean, that's what church is there for, right?  We don't need to pile on homosexuals and go out our way to rebuke.  It's easy to publicly condemn a sin that you don't struggle with personally.  The Christian church needs to do better at reaching out to homosexuals and all other sinners and meeting them with love.  On the flip side, we already know that there's a agenda to diminish Christian values in this country and the LGBT community will not consider "loving another person" as a sin.  Of course there's different types of love, but that's another conversation.  The Bible is the complete and authoritative Word of God.  We don't get to pick and choose.

11 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Who did that?

5 hours ago, Remmus said:

First, we better not exempt all sinners from taking the pulpit.  We'd have a serious deficit of Pastors worldwide.  My question is does this "couple" consider their lifestyle a sin or do they promote it?  Looks like promotion.  I don't believe in kicking out homosexuals from a church because no sin is greater than another.  We shouldn't kick out any other sinner either.  I mean, that's what church is there for, right?  We don't need to pile on homosexuals and go out our way to rebuke.  It's easy to publicly condemn a sin that you don't struggle with personally.  The Christian church needs to do better at reaching out to homosexuals and all other sinners and meeting them with love.  On the flip side, we already know that there's a agenda to diminish Christian values in this country and the LGBT community will not consider "loving another person" as a sin.  Of course there's different types of love, but that's another conversation.  The Bible is the complete and authoritative Word of God.  We don't get to pick and choose.

I agree...let them simply sit and hear the Word of God...don't whack them over the head with it.

12 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Good for those churches, and boo for you for hating on unwed mothers who are looking for help.

You're one of those good Christians that has decided that homosexuality is the only sin that is unforgivable.  I'm not hating at all on unwed mothers.  I'm hating on hypocritical Christians that demonize one sin while supporting other sinners who's sins, at least if you believe in the bible, are equally as bad. 

12 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Jesus spoke of people like this; Mark 7, "7They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules. 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions. 9And he continued, "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!"

I'm sure your "traditions" aren't as bad other people's "traditions"

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, bullets13 said:

my oh my

Jesus is Love, but what a lot of people don't get is that the word "LOVE" encompasses a lot more than what you may think......one of those words that "LOVE" encompasses is "JUST"

many churches have given into many sins already and some have already given in to same sex relations due to societal pressures and govt interference, soon enough they will give in to other sins that will be practiced in the church.  A lot of you say oh it wont happen....bestiality, prostitution, etc etc., but it will because the norm now is to accept everything and go by no standards. You can't call anyone out for doing wrong anymore, that's just not right.  

go ahead and laugh.  in the end your laughter will be muted and then it ll be too late.  

(key word  "practicing")

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, bullets13 said:

You're one of those good Christians that has decided that homosexuality is the only sin that is unforgivable.  I'm not hating at all on unwed mothers.  I'm hating on hypocritical Christians that demonize one sin while supporting other sinners who's sins, at least if you believe in the bible, are equally as bad. 

Homosexuality is a practicing sin, but can be forgiven if individual chooses to do away with that lifestyle and thinking.

Yes an unwed mother did commit a sin, but it was just at the time of conception.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Remmus said:

I agree with your post

But God's love is agape. 

meeting them with love sometimes means telling them they are wrong in how they are living their life and same goes for other types of sin.

On January 10, 2017 at 7:56 AM, bullets13 said:

My specific objection to the story is not that they're homosexual, but that they lead the Church.  A sinner like myself, cannot throw stones at homosexuals, but you expect the pastors of a church to at least try to set an example.  If they were practicing lesbians, but now are living celibate lives, I could accept that.  And I hope homosexuals do go to church.  They need it as much as I do.   Jmo

On 1/11/2017 at 9:27 PM, bullets13 said:

No, but I do not think those in open rebellion to God should NOT be in any position of leadership in a church.
And any member who is in open rebellion against what the Bible teaches can be put under church discipline.
So I agree with you to a point that homo-sexuality is the big sin of the day ( as it has always been) and divorce for non-biblical reasons is swept under the rug. (not trying to put words in your mouth just giving an example). Our point of disagreement is that no church has no right to take a stand on sexual perversions within its leadership and or members. 

I Corinthinas 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[

This is the hidden content, please
] whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[
]
 those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

Here are some other verses

If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame.

s

'I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;

"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

This testimony is true. For this reason reprove them severely so that they may be sound in the faith,

Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

3 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Homosexuality is a practicing sin, but can be forgiven if individual chooses to do away with that lifestyle and thinking.

Yes an unwed mother did commit a sin, but it was just at the time of conception.

that's funny.  when I went to church, it sure seemed like most folks there had some sort of lifestyle of sin.  I've known several drunks that have really strong feelings about the lifestyle that homosexuals lead in regards to Christianity.  I also work with a lady who I've had several heated (but amicable) conversations with at work about homosexuality.  She freely admits to having sex with her various boyfriends that she's had since she divorced, but gets angry at the thought of the sins that homosexuals are committing. 

So we're pretending she only did it once?  And by your logic, it sounds like homosexuals are only committing sin when they're having sex, so they're on the same level as unmarried folks that are having sex.

2 hours ago, jv_coach said:

No, but I do not think those in open rebellion to God should NOT be in any position of leadership in a church.
And any member who is in open rebellion against what the Bible teaches can be put under church discipline.
So I agree with you to a point that homo-sexuality is the big sin of the day ( as it has always been) and divorce for non-biblical reasons is swept under the rug. (not trying to put words in your mouth just giving an example). Our point of disagreement is that no church has no right to take a stand on sexual perversions within its leadership and or members. 

I can understand a church not wanting homosexual leaders, just as I can understand a church not wanting an alcoholic leader.  but I don't understand a church keeping sinning members out (with the exception of a predator of some sort who would put the safety of the congregation in jeopardy), and especially considering that a majority of Christians are living some sort of lifestyle of sin (as opposed to legitimately struggling to overcome that sin). 

4 hours ago, REBgp said:

My specific objection to the story is not that they're homosexual, but that they lead the Church.  A sinner like myself, cannot throw stones at homosexuals, but you expect the pastors of a church to at least try to set an example.  If they were practicing lesbians, but now are living celibate lives, I could accept that.  And I hope homosexuals do go to church.  They need it as much as I do.   Jmo

I understand that position, and said as much in a private conversation with another member about this thread.  I did not take as anything more from you.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

that's funny.  when I went to church, it sure seemed like most folks there had some sort of lifestyle of sin.  I've known several drunks that have really strong feelings about the lifestyle that homosexuals lead in regards to Christianity.  I also work with a lady who I've had several heated (but amicable) conversations with at work about homosexuality.  She freely admits to having sex with her various boyfriends that she's had since she divorced, but gets angry at the thought of the sins that homosexuals are committing. 

So we're pretending she only did it once?  And by your logic, it sounds like homosexuals are only committing sin when they're having sex, so they're on the same level as unmarried folks that are having sex.

im just using the example u presented.  U said unwed mother.

nope .  homos are committing a sin when they are having sex and when they re not due to the way they feel and think about the same sex(frame of mind, practicing sin),  But that also applies to all that have sinful thoughts

you can't justify sin with another sin.

yes there those that sin in other ways that have a strong opinion on homos.  either way neither is right way to live. 

you can't justify sin with another sin

pretty simple

12 hours ago, REBgp said:

Agree