Typical Liberal Thinking!

Reagan

45 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Yes, for around the last 30 years I've become increasingly sickened by the way too many on the Left portray everyone that doesn't agree with them, and this has increased exponentially in the last 8 years. And the "it goes both ways" does not apply. That's like saying the basketball score was 127-6, but focusing on the point that both teams scored.

I think we agree on many of these issues, just disagree on the amount of acceptable government involvement. But I'm disturbed, but not surprised, that I have to explain my positions. You seem to be projecting many of the Liberal elitist talking points, without giving the benefit of the doubt or even inquiring as to what my beliefs are. I don't blame the Federal government with all of the problems of public schools. I do believe they've caused more harm than good. I do believe that personal responsibility is a huge point, if not the biggest point, in the unacceptable rates of our schools. That is the position of most non-Liberals. But the elitists will spew the belief that all non-Liberals blame everything on government.

Having said that, I do think you are light years above my generalized beliefs of Liberals. You stick to the issues and don't try to resort to personal attacks. That's rare in today's society. But I will state that I believe without a shadow of a doubt that Liberals own that type of "discussion". You sound to me more like a Democrat and much less like a Liberal. In case your wondering, I classify a Liberal as someone who overwhelmingly believes in social justice no matter the cost to the Union. A Democrat is someone that believes government intervention to solve problems is more acceptable than less intervention.

I'm a centrist.  Some might view me as a conservative democrat (blue dog) or a progressive republican.  I don't agree or disagree with every item on either side.  Having grown up in the northeast and now having lived in the great state of Texas for the past 10 years (my wife is a native Houstonian) my outlook on many issues is expanded (at least I like to believe that).  I've met a lot of incredible people here in Texas and really love Houstonians.   I've studied Texas history and admire many things about the people and the politics here.  I can't dispute the positive impact living in Texas has had on my life and my family's well being.  We were getting HOSED in taxes up north (like 30%+), the k-12 schools in my area were horrible, crime was bad, jobs didn't pay as high, and housing costs were astronomical.  For those who have the desire and brains, you can do very well here in Texas ...but if you're poor here, you're friggin po'.

You seem a bit on guard and that's understandable because as you note people can be quick to label and attack before they take time to understand.  I don't believe the theoretical basketball game is as lopsided as you state, but respect your position.

I like your classification of liberals vs democrats.  I think back in the 60's and 70's we'd call liberals "hippies."  Probably a lot of truth in that.  I have a sister that can really "kumbaya" with the best of them.  She would exemplify your definition of a liberal.  If it costs a billion dollars to save three schools, do it!  No concept of money or what's going on in small town America.

Only letting the market decide or letting government intervene at every turn isn't good.  The both need each other.  The mixture is where it gets tricky.

17 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Well done on your response.  Have to agree you wouldn't want conservatives fighting for progressive social issues.  But, I'd be willing to bet a few bucks, that when there is a disaster somewhere in the U.S. the majority of folks that show up to help are conservatives.  And Libs think conservatives don't care, which you and I know is male bovine feces.  If only those that needed welfare got it, we'd have more than enough money to take care of them.  Again, we probably agree on that.  We probably agree on more talking points than we disagree on.

Let me welcome you to the dark side of the Forum (beware the Locker Room, it gets crazy in there lol).  And I throughly enjoyed your and Englebert's tête-à-tête.  Takes me a while to get thru them.  I do have a degree, but it's from Vidor Jr Hi. :) 

I agree that conservatives are big givers to charity and helping others.  That's one of the things I love about Houstonians and Texans.  Probably hard to find any other group of people that are more giving when a crisis comes along.  I experienced a tremendous amount of community love/support after going through hurricane Ike.  This occurred two years after I moved to Texas.  My neighborhood really worked together to help each other.  It was amazing.

Thanks for the tips about the forum.  

For the record, I don't believe any American should be able to burn our flag.  My dad is a former Army Sargent and served in Vietnam.  I have uncles that served in the Air Force and also the Marines.  I grew up being taught to respect our nation despite its warts.

21 minutes ago, Remmus said:

I'm a centrist.  Some might view me as a conservative democrat (blue dog) or a progressive republican.  I don't agree or disagree with every item on either side.  Having grown up in the northeast and now having lived in the great state of Texas for the past 10 years (my wife is a native Houstonian) my outlook on many issues is expanded (at least I like to believe that).  I've met a lot of incredible people here in Texas and really love Houstonians.   I've studied Texas history and admire many things about the people and the politics here.  I can't dispute the positive impact living in Texas has had on my life and my family's well being.  We were getting HOSED in taxes up north (like 30%+), the k-12 schools in my area were horrible, crime was bad, jobs didn't pay as high, and housing costs were astronomical.  For those who have the desire and brains, you can do very well here in Texas ...but if you're poor here, you're friggin po'.

You seem a bit on guard and that's understandable because as you note people can be quick to label and attack before they take time to understand.  I don't believe the theoretical basketball game is as lopsided as you state, but respect your position.

I like your classification of liberals vs democrats.  I think back in the 60's and 70's we'd call liberals "hippies."  Probably a lot of truth in that.  I have a sister that can really "kumbaya" with the best of them.  She would exemplify your definition of a liberal.  If it costs a billion dollars to save three schools, do it!  No concept of money or what's going on in small town America.

Only letting the market decide or letting government intervene at every turn isn't good.  The both need each other.  The mixture is where it gets tricky.

And the electorate has just declared that the mix of government and market has been titled too far to one extreme.

3 minutes ago, stevenash said:

And the electorate has just declared that the mix of government and market has been titled too far to one extreme.

Yes sir.  I like what I smell is cookin' too.  We've seen it both ways ...too pro-business and too pro-worker.  This problem has plagued us for years.  America has been outsourced.

5 hours ago, Remmus said:

I believe we are on the same page on most things but just disagree as to the amount of the government's role. I hate putting labels on people, but sometimes feel the need to call a spade a spade. Based on my limited knowledge of your views, I can honestly say you fit no profile, and me labeling you a Democrat was meant as a compliment rather than insult. You might be the best thing that can happen to this forum...that is bringing the Democrat or big government point of view in having a rationale discussion. We have a few good big government guys on here, but they have shied away from engaging in debate here. That is my long winded way of saying welcome to forum. It can be as nasty or civil as you want it to be.

One thing I've noticed through the years is that two people can be in agreement on 99% of an issue, but debate fiercely on the 1% difference. This miniscule difference and unwillingness to acknowledge the points of agreement creates an exacerbated animosity in the eyes of each (and observers), and creates the illusion of contempt for each other and a reluctance to engage or even participate in debate. Having said that, I look forward to pounding common sense into your thick skull how every one of your imbecile thoughts are to the point of absurdity. I expect nothing less in return. :)

13 hours ago, Remmus said:

Man, my feeble mind will have a problem keeping up with the likes of you, Englebert, TVC, Nash, Reb, and more. As Englebert stated, it is refreshing to hear someone explain the lefty views without posting an article from Huffington. I'll leave it at that for now.

Welcome to Texas. You must have arrived sometime right after Rita. It was a mess too. At the risk of sounding prejudiced, which I am about this state, there is no better place to live. 

9 hours ago, Englebert said:

I believe we are on the same page on most things but just disagree as to the amount of the government's role. I hate putting labels on people, but sometimes feel the need to call a spade a spade. Based on my limited knowledge of your views, I can honestly say you fit no profile, and me labeling you a Democrat was meant as a compliment rather than insult. You might be the best thing that can happen to this forum...that is bringing the Democrat or big government point of view in having a rationale discussion. We have a few good big government guys on here, but they have shied away from engaging in debate here. That is my long winded way of saying welcome to forum. It can be as nasty or civil as you want it to be.

One thing I've noticed through the years is that two people can be in agreement on 99% of an issue, but debate fiercely on the 1% difference. This miniscule difference and unwillingness to acknowledge the points of agreement creates an exacerbated animosity in the eyes of each (and observers), and creates the illusion of contempt for each other and a reluctance to engage or even participate in debate. Having said that, I look forward to pounding common sense into your thick skull how every one of your imbecile thoughts are to the point of absurdity. I expect nothing less in return. :)

Ha!  I look forward to the exchange of ideas.  I'll be the first guy to admit when a conservative idea "trumps" a liberal one.  The economy in Texas is shining example of what's possible for the rest of the country.

This country needs more democrats and less liberals.  If we're honest, Hillary Clinton (and Bill) is a DEMOCRAT.  Hillary will pander to the liberals for votes, but we know she met with Wall Street.  Unfortunately, Hillary had no new ideas and was the "more of the same" candidate.  We also need some republicans that are willing to compromise when its in the best interest of the country ...instead of sticking to some hard line at all costs.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Man, my feeble mind will have a problem keeping up with the likes of you, Englebert, TVC, Nash, Reb, and more. As Englebert stated, it is refreshing to hear someone explain the lefty views without posting an article from Huffington. I'll leave it at that for now.

Welcome to Texas. You must have arrived sometime right after Rita. It was a mess too. At the risk of sounding prejudiced, which I am about this state, there is no better place to live. 

Thanks for the welcome. Not all lefty ideas are bad ...they might need some toning down to work, but I'm praying our country will get back to working together. I understand some of the anger that's coming from the conservatives ...especially the middle class. Since I've been in Texas, I've held a job that was moved to Mexico and a plant I worked at was shut down and relocated to Mexico. I've also seen a lot of manufacturing work go to China in droves, also moved to India and Mexico. Texas is one of the few places left in the US that still make tangible goods. I'm praying that President-elect Trump is a man of his word and will fight for US workers.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:31 PM, Remmus said:

Mental illness can be found on both sides (libs & conserv).  If the story is real and we aren't being manipulated by fake news, I'd say the perps should be extradited to their home country after serving their prison term.  Sweden is trying too hard to be P.C. at the expense of the safety of their citizens (sounds familiar).

Sounds very familiar.

Some of these mascots are insensitive ...usually to Native Americans.  Just because its been long accepted, doesn't make it right.  Some of these schools work with local Native American groups like Florida State and I guess that helps.  I just can't sign on to showing a depiction of a particular race on football helmets that happened to have been nearly wiped out by Western expansion.  The Mississippi Cotton Pickers?  The Texas Wetbacks? A part of our rich tradition, but hurtful.

10 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Philly beverage tax.  More government control is great!

This is the hidden content, please

Beer is cheaper!

Philly has a love affair with taxes.  I'm a former resident.  Mayor Ed Rendall taxed Philly back into a surplus ...then we of course fell back into a deficit.  I'll be the first to say a democratic/liberal government left unchecked with a lot of money is not a good thing.  They spend loads and don't have much to show for it.  

5 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Actor nominated for Oscar as Best Actor and Best Actress.   I bet it probably wins both for being so brave.

If we get technical???  This also raises an interesting question.  Maybe Eddie Murphy should petition for the academy to look at Norbitt again.  He may have a best actress award coming.