Indoor football facilities in Texas

TradenupBH

18 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

My son worked out with a kid that just moved in today. Sounds like a pretty good athlete and we were one and done. Lol

I agree with you though. Historically good programs would probably be my pick, but with the new generation, that might be changing.

I'm sure that athlete didn't transfer in for the facilities, it probably had more to do with the big name coach y'all have now.

which, if true, would kinda prove WOSGrad point. They chose Babers Hill because they felt coach westerberg has a good chance at success in the future.. and rightly so.

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Vidor, although in fairness my understanding is that their facility is a retrofitted gym with some spare astroturf.

BH's facility is pretty dang nice.  I dont know about being a retro fitted gym lol..

This is the hidden content, please

Football in Texas is kind of a big deal. Just take a look at the new Lloyd Kelley Multipurpose facility, featuring an indoor practice field for Barbers Hill.

Located in Mont Belvieu, Texas, about 30 miles east of Houston, Barbers Hill ISD now has a nicer indoor facility than a number of FBS programs — including some Power 5 teams — across the country.

Barbers Hill recently snagged coach Tom Westerberg from perennial Dallas-area powerhouse Allen, 

. Westerberg will be counted on to help the school improve from its 4-6 record a season ago. And let nobody say that the Eagles lack the facilities to get the job done.

21 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Hypothetical...You're moving into an area with a son(s) that are good athletes. Neighboring high school A has terribly outdated facilities, and haven't gotten new uniforms in 6 years. Neighboring high school B has a 100 yard indoor, 3 turf practice fields, 5 sets of uniforms, and a state of the art weightroom. Which district are you're sons(who are good athletes) going to want to attend?

See this is where I am torn.  I have 2 kids that I believe will be very good in the future. 1 will be a sophomore and the other a freshman next year.  I believe no doubt the sophomore could start on anyones Oline next year and be good. But their is this little thing called loyalty that keeps us from moving to one of these other places.  Call me stupid but we want to finish or be aprt of building some thing where they are. Will they make it a little tougher getting to the next level, yea probably but they and we are willing to put in that effort.  Make any sense.

12 minutes ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

BH's facility is pretty dang nice.  I dont know about being a retro fitted gym lol..

Football in Texas is kind of a big deal. Just take a look at the new Lloyd Kelley Multipurpose facility, featuring an indoor practice field for Barbers Hill.

Located in Mont Belvieu, Texas, about 30 miles east of Houston, Barbers Hill ISD now has a nicer indoor facility than a number of FBS programs — including some Power 5 teams — across the country.

Barbers Hill recently snagged coach Tom Westerberg from perennial Dallas-area powerhouse Allen, 

. Westerberg will be counted on to help the school improve from its 4-6 record a season ago. And let nobody say that the Eagles lack the facilities to get the job done.

Apparently, reading comprehension is not a priority in the Goose Creek ISD.

4 minutes ago, Who-Knows? said:

I wasnt sure sure if you were talking about BH or the 3rd facility. But either way who wants to worry about reading , whats that you said again?

I was answering David's question as to what the 3rd facility in the area was beside BH and EC and but also wanted to let folks know that it is not a new building like either BH or EC has.

9 hours ago, Who-Knows? said:

See this is where I am torn.  I have 2 kids that I believe will be very good in the future. 1 will be a sophomore and the other a freshman next year.  I believe no doubt the sophomore could start on anyones Oline next year and be good. But their is this little thing called loyalty that keeps us from moving to one of these other places.  Call me stupid but we want to finish or be aprt of building some thing where they are. Will they make it a little tougher getting to the next level, yea probably but they and we are willing to put in that effort.  Make any sense.

Makes perfect sense. And good for you. We made the same decision for the same reasons. 

On 12/21/2016 at 11:22 PM, WOSgrad said:

Oh, I did a little better than that. Since you mention that only one team in Southeast Texas had "peed a drop" over the last 10 years, I decided to use the net to see how much "urine" these highly worshiped indoor practice facilities have yielded in the much vaunted and ballywhoo'd DFW area.

The following is a list of DFW area schools which had or had access to indoor practice facilities:

Total number of facilities: 62

Number of state championships over the last 10 years: 16

Number of schools winning state championships over last 10 years: 7

So of the 62 schools which began spring practice in the air conditioning in the DFW, 55 of those schools have the same number of state titles over the last 10 years as Warren, which definitely qualifies them for emergency dialysis.

Of course, the answer comes that it is not good enough to have an indoor facility, but that you must have a HUUUUUUUUUGE indoor facility with weights and meeting rooms and hyperbaric chambers and 3 personal masseuses on staff.

It comes down to this.  These "bells and whistles" are being billed as the golden ticket from the land of obscurity to the promised land of AT&T Stadium.  It ain't that easy.  It just ain't.  It may help you get there, but it won't in and of itself get you there.

If you don't have ability to bring into a practice or the desire to improve that ability during the practice, you don't have an elite program.  All you have is a program with a nice, shiny building to show folks and nothing else.

Man you are the man!!! I had respect for you, but now I've got mad respect for you! Nicely done bro; and hey I'm definitely with you on the practicing and hard work part...but you have to admit that being able to get outta that heat 1 day a week in September is probably pretty cozy!

9 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Man you are the man!!! I had respect for you, but now I've got mad respect for you! Nicely done bro; and hey I'm definitely with you on the practicing and hard work part...but you have to admit that being able to get outta that heat 1 day a week in September is probably pretty cozy!

I agree that it helps.....heck it is a big help.  All I am saying is that those think that schools in a possession of an indoor practice facility should be vaulted into the class of elite simply because they have one, and by the same token, those who don't should be considered "backward" are extremely misguided.

18 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I agree that it helps.....heck it is a big help.  All I am saying is that those think that schools in a possession of an indoor practice facility should be vaulted into the class of elite simply because they have one, and by the same token, those who don't should be considered "backward" are extremely misguided.

Yessir I agree with you for sure! Indoors definitely don't guarantee a state champ team, or a winning season for that matter. I'm just doing everything I can to figure out why we here in setx are so far behind the 8 ball when it comes to facilities. Our kids deserve the best too(as far as I'm concerned.) I know everyone will say money, but I just don't see how Carthage  can have that much more $ than our schools; maybe I'm just delusional.

The underlying issue is the state's inequitable  school financing system. Some districts have more money or resources than they know what to with. I'm not going to spend the time to research but  it's probably safe to say those districts with fine indoor practice facilities also have new schools, pools, performing arts centers, etc. while other districts struggle to provide scoreboards or keep roofs on their buildings and the AC running.

4 hours ago, mat said:

The underlying issue is the state's inequitable  school financing system. Some districts have more money or resources than they know what to with. I'm not going to spend the time to research but  it's probably safe to say those districts with fine indoor practice facilities also have new schools, pools, performing arts centers, etc. while other districts struggle to provide scoreboards or keep roofs on their buildings and the AC running.

We have to send money to the state under Robin Hood. Some tax rich districts are better with managing money.