Indoor football facilities in Texas

TradenupBH

Wow, I think Allen is ready for the Big12  aha 

Texas Highscool football might really be on the same level as Lower FCS soon, if we're not already there lol 

How long til someone In SETX gets one?? 

Hmm I'll say Memorial or P.N.G might be the first in a few years...Would say W.O.S but their to old school lol and BISD needs tO get it together before they even think.about it 

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

Texas Highscool football might really be on the same level as Lower FCS soon, if we're not already there lol 

Hmm I'll say Memorial or P.N.G might be the first in a few years...Would say W.O.S but their to old school lol and BISD needs tO get it together before they even think.about it 

BH already has one, Opened it this year.

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

PNG tried but something happened with funding I believe... not to sure. A PNG faithful could maybe tell us the reason why. 

I think Barbers Hill is building one or built one? 

4 hours ago, D3zii said:

Better question....what's taking schools down here so long to get them??

44 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

It's all about priorities. If football is important, schools will build em. But I do have a feeling that there's going to be a chain reaction in setx like there has been in DFW and East Texas; after a few schools get them, a bunch of other schools will follow suit.

I know this is probably not the intention you had with this post, but I always hate the implication that if a school district doesn't invest in the latest "toy," that the school district doesn't care about it's football program.  It is almost akin to me hearing that the way to tell if a parent really loves their kid is to see if they have bought their kid the latest gaming system or latest smart phone.

Yes, East Chambers and Barbers Hill and what seems like most of the DFW all have their indoor practice facilities and it is great that the those communities have been able to manage to squeeze the funds out of budgets and/or bonds and they should rightly be proud of that.  At the same time, I'd lay odds that Coach Sutherland, Coach Westerberg and all but a few of those DFW schools would gladly package up those facilities and send them to a school district which plays on grass in a stadium which was built before a good number of us were ever born in exchange for what they have right now.

Hypothetical...You're moving into an area with a son(s) that are good athletes. Neighboring high school A has terribly outdated facilities, and haven't gotten new uniforms in 6 years. Neighboring high school B has a 100 yard indoor, 3 turf practice fields, 5 sets of uniforms, and a state of the art weightroom. Which district are you're sons(who are good athletes) going to want to attend?

18 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Hypothetical...You're moving into an area with a son(s) that are good athletes. Neighboring high school A has terribly outdated facilities, and haven't gotten new uniforms in 6 years. Neighboring high school B has a 100 yard indoor, 3 turf practice fields, 5 sets of uniforms, and a state of the art weightroom. Which district are you're sons(who are good athletes) going to want to attend?

The district that has had the deepest playoff runs and/or most state championships.

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

The district that has had the deepest playoff runs and/or most state championships.

My son worked out with a kid that just moved in today. Sounds like a pretty good athlete and we were one and done. Lol

I agree with you though. Historically good programs would probably be my pick, but with the new generation, that might be changing.

So, would the indoor practice facility only be used during extreme conditions?  Practice is to get ready for a game.  With the exception all of very few special games, games occur in the elements...rain, SETX heat and hopefully some cold weather.  Especially in our area and early season games, you want players acclimated to heat.  

I don't think I have to worry about WOS making that switch anytime soon.  Although, I have enjoyed the indoor playing playing facilities mid December the last three years!

3 minutes ago, #1stangfan said:

So, would the indoor practice facility only be used during extreme conditions?  Practice is to get ready for a game.  With the exception all of very few special games, games occur in the elements...rain, SETX heat and hopefully some cold weather.  Especially in our area and early season games, you want players acclimated to heat.  

I don't think I have to worry about WOS making that switch anytime soon.  Although, I have enjoyed the indoor playing playing facilities mid December the last three years!

The best case I can think about is lightning. I know here in FL, there have been countless times we've had to practice in our gym or lunchroom because of the lightning and rain. Not a little rain. Downpours. Practicing in the heat and rain does help you get acclimated, but in a two-a-day I would practice once outdoors and once indoors if an indoor facility was available for us to use.

Of the 144 bells and whistles which exist, according to the DMN article, at the very least 133 of those facilities resulted in nary a state championship for the main ringers of the bells and blowers of those whistles.  Rough math, that means 93% of the indoor practice facilities, which according to the same article is a result of $3.47 million in average expenditures, did not accomplish their ultimate goals.

The 3 indoor facilities which are listed being in this area earn the combined 3 schools a combined 0 playoff wins.  

I don't intend on arguing that all other things being equal such facilities don't make a school seem more attractive.  Being realistic, it does.

But if you are telling me that I should define a school's program as elite or not by what they practice in rather than what sits in their trophy case, then I will tell you that you have finally, truthfully, told me all that I need to as to why, with rare exceptions, this area has lacked the titles that it claims to deserve.

35 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Of the 144 bells and whistles which exist, according to the DMN article, at the very least 133 of those facilities resulted in nary a state championship for the main ringers of the bells and blowers of those whistles.  Rough math, that means 93% of the indoor practice facilities, which according to the same article is a result of $3.47 million in average expenditures, did not accomplish their ultimate goals.

The 3 indoor facilities which are listed being in this area earn the combined 3 schools a combined 0 playoff wins.  

I don't intend on arguing that all other things being equal such facilities don't make a school seem more attractive.  Being realistic, it does.

But if you are telling me that I should define a school's program as elite or not by what they practice in rather than what sits in their trophy case, then I will tell you that you have finally, truthfully, told me all that I need to as to why, with rare exceptions, this area has lacked the titles that it claims to deserve.

We can go ahead and call WOS an exception to the rule, considering they're the only setx team that's peed a drop in the past 10 years; those 3 indoor facilities in this area are barely big enough for my little girl to play with her dollhouse in. I encourage you to Google the facilities of the teams that were at AT&T(class 4A and up) this past year; not just indoors, but weight rooms, alternate turf fields, etc.

Oh, I did a little better than that. Since you mention that only one team in Southeast Texas had "peed a drop" over the last 10 years, I decided to use the net to see how much "urine" these highly worshiped indoor practice facilities have yielded in the much vaunted and ballywhoo'd DFW area.

The following is a list of DFW area schools which had or had access to indoor practice facilities:

This is the hidden content, please

Total number of facilities: 62

Number of state championships over the last 10 years: 16

Number of schools winning state championships over last 10 years: 7

So of the 62 schools which began spring practice in the air conditioning in the DFW, 55 of those schools have the same number of state titles over the last 10 years as Warren, which definitely qualifies them for emergency dialysis.

Of course, the answer comes that it is not good enough to have an indoor facility, but that you must have a HUUUUUUUUUGE indoor facility with weights and meeting rooms and hyperbaric chambers and 3 personal masseuses on staff.

It comes down to this.  These "bells and whistles" are being billed as the golden ticket from the land of obscurity to the promised land of AT&T Stadium.  It ain't that easy.  It just ain't.  It may help you get there, but it won't in and of itself get you there.

If you don't have ability to bring into a practice or the desire to improve that ability during the practice, you don't have an elite program.  All you have is a program with a nice, shiny building to show folks and nothing else.

The Barbers Hill facility is used by multiple sports including baseball. It has hitting cages that come down from ceiling, infield practice. Also, elementary kids used it for last Easter when it rained. They were able to hide eggs. It's used for multitude of activities. Atleast for us, it's not all about football. Heck, they've had a blowup tv for movies in there. Lol

10 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

We can go ahead and call WOS an exception to the rule, considering they're the only setx team that's peed a drop in the past 10 years; those 3 indoor facilities in this area are barely big enough for my little girl to play with her dollhouse in. I encourage you to Google the facilities of the teams that were at AT&T(class 4A and up) this past year; not just indoors, but weight rooms, alternate turf fields, etc.

Your daughter can barely play dolls in the Barbers Hill facility? Hell of a dollhouse you bought for her there.

And what's the 3rd facility? BH, East Chambers and who else?

1 hour ago, dBerrySports said:

Your daughter can barely play dolls in the Barbers Hill facility? Hell of a dollhouse you bought for her there.

And what's the 3rd facility? BH, East Chambers and who else?

Vidor, although in fairness my understanding is that their facility is a retrofitted gym with some spare astroturf.