Paying Coaches For Playoff Games

Insidezone

Let's make sure they all make the same amount of money and have the same playbooks while we are at it.  *sarcasm* 

These guys put in unreal hours.  Most districts have stipends up to a healthy level for the extracduties.  The idea of a bonus is not the best idea.  If they do good, give them a raise.

As far as teaching classes are concerned, if you want the best coaches you better be ready to compete for them, which means not only pay, but allowing coordinators to have some favorable teaching loads--or no load at all.

Texas high school football is one of the very few things that actually generate substantial income for some districts outside of the normal funding.  This will not happen in many places if you aren't winning.  So a few perks are in order to keep the program healthy.

18 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

Should the english teacher get a bonus for all their kids passing the staar test. No its expected of them. Shouldn't we expect the coach to get his kids to the playoffs, that's what he's paid for in the first place.

And  yet many school district do have incentive pay that does pay english teachers bonuses when their kids pass the STAAR test.  It is called merit pay and the State has been pushing the idea for quite sometime now.  Not that I am a fan of the program, I think it is a flawed idea.

A coach I knew that is now not in the profession anymore once told me one reason he quit was because he was afraid the pressure on him to go farther in the playoffs by his school could possibly make him be more upset with a player if he fumbled, threw an interception etc.. anything that could make him not reach the lofty goals his school put on him. These are 15-18 year old young men and it would not be fair to think they cost me my job. My point is, would you want to be a coach that every time you saw a kid in the hall you looked and him and thought, geez kid you cost me 5 grand. I know it would not be most coaches that would think that way but there could be a few. 

2 hours ago, Hupernikomen said:

And  yet many school district do have incentive pay that does pay english teachers bonuses when their kids pass the STAAR test.  It is called merit pay and the State has been pushing the idea for quite sometime now.  Not that I am a fan of the program, I think it is a flawed idea.

When all football players are required to make the playoffs in order to graduate, then you can award Merit Pay for the playoffs. 

Don't forget Title IX. You will need to pay ALL coaches and all will be required to make the playoffs to earn that extra pay.

3 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

When all football players are required to make the playoffs in order to graduate, then you can award Merit Pay for the playoffs. 

Don't forget Title IX. You will need to pay ALL coaches and all will be required to make the playoffs to earn that extra pay.

Not in favor of merit pay of any form for teachers or for coaches.  Am in favor of raising their salaries instead so it counts toward their retirement.  If a coach is doing a good job, give him a raise.  It is that simple.  Same thing is true of a teacher.