Crosby 33 Vidor 24/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Was a very physical game by both teams. Vidor impressed me. I've said all along this would be a tough W vs the 22-5A district champ. Wasn't perfect but we're on to round 2. 

You should be proud of your boys Vidor. I'm very proud of ours!!!

I am proud of them Pirates, and unfortunately, Crosby was as good as I thought lol.  I felt like Vidor had to win the turnover battle, but the Coogs weren't going there.  Good luck to Crosby.  The further you go, the better it makes Vidor look, imo.  You're a class act yourself Red Dawn.  Go Cougars.

41 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

Funny how we all view our team vs their team. Human nature. 

I would say several times this year I have personally just face palmed myself with some of the penalties.  These are 15-18 yr old kids.  You see the same thing on Saturdays and Sundays.  At least last night they weren't 30 yards away from the play. I would say it's interesting when the Refs are brought up, normally it's when a team starts losing.  I was sitting with a couple of my PNG buddies last night and we were seeing pretty much the same things. Both big plays from both teams that set up TD's appeared to be illegal lineman downfield that weren't called.  All in all I think the kicking game might end up being Crosbys undoing this year.  I also saw a post earlier that said the Crosby kids wanted it more.  I would disagree with that, all of those kids on the field last night played their heart out.

3 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I am proud of them Pirates, and unfortunately, Crosby was as good as I thought lol.  I felt like Vidor had to win the turnover battle, but the Coogs weren't going there.  Good luck to Crosby.  The further you go, the better it makes Vidor look, imo.  You're a class act yourself Red Dawn.  Go Cougars.

I agree!

10 minutes ago, REBgp said:

+1

10 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

I would say several times this year I have personally just face palmed myself with some of the penalties.  These are 15-18 yr old kids.  You see the same thing on Saturdays and Sundays.  At least last night they weren't 30 yards away from the play. I would say it's interesting when the Refs are brought up, normally it's when a team starts losing.  I was sitting with a couple of my PNG buddies last night and we were seeing pretty much the same things. Both big plays from both teams that set up TD's appeared to be illegal lineman downfield that weren't called.  All in all I think the kicking game might end up being Crosbys undoing this year.  I also saw a post earlier that said the Crosby kids wanted it more.  I would disagree with that, all of those kids on the field last night played their heart out.

+1

1 hour ago, CougarCal said:

I have to agree. I was at the game watching it as an outsider. I saw some penalties that weren't being called. I can understand the frustration of the kids but they have to keep control of their emotions if they want to go farther than the 2nd round. Both teams wanted it but only 1 could come out on top.

13 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Vidor was Vidor and Crosby was Crosby, it was an intense and heated game that both teams wanted to win. Sometimes when competitors are overcome with emotion they react poorly. The better disciplined the team, the fewer times this happens.

I didn't see either team way out of line. It was a physical, emotional game. It got heated a time or two but I thought both teams kept it under control and both teams left it all on the field. It's not checkers. It's a physical and emotional game. 

20 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

I didn't see either team way out of line. It was a physical, emotional game. It got heated a time or two but I thought both teams kept it under control and both teams left it all on the field. It's not checkers. It's a physical and emotional game. 

I know me and my wife enjoyed it. Very impressed with both teams. Saw some big hits and good physical football. It was a very big crowd for both sides. Reminded me of old Dayton games with a big turn out.

8 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

It's hard to play a game in a phone booth all night long and not have some extracurricular activity at some point. I think both sides got flags thrown on them fairly when they played beyond the whistle. As for all the other missed calls, I think the refs just really went out there and just let the kids play. Both team could've had more holding penalties called on them, I thought Vidor's slot back got away with early movement several times and Crosby probably got away with playing past the whistle at least two times. It was playoff football though, I don't think the refs were calling anything that wasn't egregious.

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's hard to play a game in a phone booth all night long and not have some extracurricular activity at some point. I think both sides got flags thrown on them fairly when they played beyond the whistle. As for all the other missed calls, I think the refs just really went out there and just let the kids play. Both team could've had more holding penalties called on them, I thought Vidor's slot back got away with early movement several times and Crosby probably got away with playing past the whistle at least two times. It was playoff football though, I don't think the refs were calling anything that wasn't egregious.

✔️

15 minutes ago, BHMOMFORLIFE said:

Crosby usually gets at least 4 unsportsmenlike calls on them. Things like that can end up hurting them. It was a good game. Neither team would give up.  

I think Crosby's aggression is part of what makes us so good but unfortunately I also think its what makes us factor in personal foul yardage before the game even starts. Being a program a lot of people want to beat I'm sure our kids get more friction that the average team too though. For Crosby we've played relatively clean the last two games against good teams which is an optimistic trend moving forward this time of year.

2 hours ago, REBgp said:

+2

My final thoughts. 

Now we are used to this by now but we got Vidors best shot they weren't sloppy that system is gonna cause a bad play now and then because it's got so many moving parts. They ran probably 2-3 tricks/niche plays. Stuff like Monster formations and pitch back reverses, onside kicks, weird punts, etc. We took everything Vidor had to throw at us and i really feel we won the game when we killed that reverse late in the fourth granted Vidor had a couple more opportunities but that moment changed the narrative, Crosby got the ball back ran some time and reset the defense. 

The Williams TD, had a kid show me the film it's a good block on the outside, it's actually two really good blocks one of our linemen gets an amazing cut block and the other engages a player and as he get knocked over pushes him down. It was a beautiful textbook block. (that's the same one everyone was hooting and hollering about.) The refs made a very good call because I'll admit in the moment i wasn't sure if it was a hold or not but the ref was standing right there saw a good block and called it as such. 

I think this Vidor team is better than the one that beat Crosby in 11?, they had more weapons and the system looked a bit more refined. Now thats no consolation because it's now basketball season but that team was tough as nails. I cannot count how many times i saw a visor player get absolutely leveled and then dust themselves off stand up and get ready for the next play. Incredible amount of toughness from that side. 

Personal fouls. Crosby has had problems with these I think we had 2? this game and they were plays that kids were over reacting to. I think teams know Crosby is prone to these penalties and tries to bait them. Vidor also had multiple personal fouls, one was for a late hit one was for tripping a player after they scored (saw the film it was VERY intentional.)  

I also saw film were on long runs Vidor players would run next to a Cougar and the fall over like they'd been hit trying to draw penalties. I think the refs saw that as well and players lost credibility with the refs. I'm sure this was coached behavior because kids wouldn't think to do this if not coached. 

So lets not throw rocks in Glass houses shall we?

So Vidor did everything they could within the rules to win, but sometimes thats not enough and there is no shame in that. Hope everyone over in Vidor has a great weekend and whoever they root for outside of the Vidor Football team does well this year. 

I think the Cougars played a really Solid first half on offense and a really solid second half on defense now we need both sides to do that for both halves. 

Now You'll find me on the Crosby v. FB Marshall page.