Hemphill vs Evadale

Hagar

Don't be fooled by 3A Hemphill's 0-4 record.  They haven't been blown out, and the last two defeats against West Sabine, always tough, and Beckville, who is 4-0.  Evadale will enter the game as #15 (if I did my math right) in the State in the AP poll for 2A.  Only one vote, but by George, we'll take it.   While I expect the Rebels to win, I'm not looking for a blowout.  What say y'all?

Hemphill is the perfect example that the players you have are far more important for winning than the coach you have.  Everyone is always quick to pull the trigger on a coach when the team is losing.  HH could not have gotten a better coach as far as experience and success.  And they're still 0-4.

Even good coaches can't win without good players.

47 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Hemphill is the perfect example that the players you have are far more important for winning than the coach you have.  Everyone is always quick to pull the trigger on a coach when the team is losing.  HH could not have gotten a better coach as far as experience and success.  And they're still 0-4.

Even good coaches can't win without good players.

A little harsh....

I feel Evadale has a good coaching staff and will pull the win. We also have lots of speed and several players with good hands......We can run and pass......looking very good this year

3 minutes ago, acm126 said:

Dang....I was hoping we (Evadale) for some competition. Our boys need it , to see how we measure up when the game gets tuff! We are getting tired of blow out games! No offense to anyone! Lol competition is always better for both teams playing!

Maybe schedule tougher opponents next time.

36 minutes ago, acm126 said:

Dang....I was hoping we (Evadale) for some competition. Our boys need it , to see how we measure up when the game gets tuff! We are getting tired of blow out games! No offense to anyone! Lol competition is always better for both teams playing!

You will get a little better competition against Iola and HD

6 minutes ago, DC10 said:

We tried, sometimes larger schools do not want to play down if they are afraid they might lose.

I'm not saying you didn't "try" to schedule bigger schools.  But...it doesn't quite seem that way.  Evadale has been playing the Galveston O'Connells of the world for several years now.

But.  I tend to disagree with the theory of playing tougher competition.  I personally think it's more important to have wins than it is to be tested and risk losing, or getting players injured.  Look at it from a Football coach standpoint.  You only have 10 games in a year. You can do 1 of 2 things.  Or a combination I guess.

1.  Tell kids your system works. Then Lose
2.  Tell kids your system works. Then win.

Kids and fans don't care how good the other team is.  They just want success.  So keep doing what you're doing Coach Williams.

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My philosophy in scheduling: non district games, schedule a tough one, an equal one and an easy one.

I agree, it is not about wins and losses, it is about preparing for district. You need to see how players will react when things get tough or the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. One gimme is ok, but it doesn't do a whole lot when your starters are sitting out the 4th quarter or entire 2nd half because of the score. I personally think that Hemphill is much better than their record indicates and hopefully it will be a competitive game prior to us starting district play.

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My philosophy in scheduling: non district games, schedule a tough one, an equal one and an easy one.

I agree with this philosophy. You do need at least one game to instill confidence and, as oldschool2 indicated, a schedule full of heavyweights might needlessly expose the team to injury.  That being said, I do prefer to see a school with a tougher district schedule than lighter one.

However, I can sympathize with DC10's plight that you must take your opponents as you can get them.

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I agree with this philosophy. You do need at least one game to instill confidence and, as oldschool2 indicated, a schedule full of heavyweights might needlessly expose the team to injury.  That being said, I do prefer to see a school with a tougher district schedule than lighter one.

However, I can sympathize with DC10's plight that you must take your opponents as you can get them.

Based on your thoughts, and others above, I agree.  I think Coach Williams does a good job of that.  First game was a gimme.  Maybe Evadale and Sugarland Logo Preps were both desperate for someone to play (like WOS & Kipp).  But all of the other 4 are above Evadale's classification.  Two 3A schools, and two 2A D1 schools.  Especially in small schools, who knows who's going to be good, and who isn't most of the time.  Evadale and Hull Daisetta are two that are much improved.  Two years ago, we might have been 2-2 at this point, with this schedule.  

Just hope the Rebels are focused.  The next two games could be losses if they aren't ready mentally.  I think Coach Williams will get that done.  

DC10, like your new avatar..

21 minutes ago, DC10 said:

I agree, it is not about wins and losses, it is about preparing for district. You need to see how players will react when things get tough or the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. One gimme is ok, but it doesn't do a whole lot when your starters are sitting out the 4th quarter or entire 2nd half because of the score. I personally think that Hemphill is much better than their record indicates and hopefully it will be a competitive game prior to us starting district play.

Not true.  It is ONLY about wins and losses.  You say it doesn't do a lot of good when your starters sit the 4th...how much good does it do when you tell your team every week that you know what it takes to win, you know how to be successful, and your system works...but they keep losing.  They don't care how  good the opponent is.  They just know "we lost again". That happens...and you will lose your 16, 17, and 18-year-old kids mentally.  Or worse...get someone hurt.

There has never been a coach go 0-10 and not lose their job because "but we had a tough preseason schedule"

0-10 is 0-10...and 10-0 is 10-0.    Nobody is looking at a team right now and saying "I know they haven't won...but they are really good".  Sorry.

In the scheme of things it's better to go 10-1 with a first round loss, than go 3-9 with a 2nd round loss.

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Not true.  It is ONLY about wins and losses.  You say it doesn't do a lot of good when your starters sit the 4th...how much good does it do when you tell your team every week that you know what it takes to win, you know how to be successful, and your system works...but they keep losing.  They don't care how  good the opponent is.  They just know "we lost again". That happens...and you will lose your 16, 17, and 18-year-old kids mentally.  Or worse...get someone hurt.

There has never been a coach go 0-10 and not lose their job because "but we had a tough preseason schedule"

0-10 is 0-10...and 10-0 is 10-0.    Nobody is looking at a team right now and saying "I know they haven't won...but they are really good".  Sorry.

In the scheme of things it's better to go 10-1 with a first round loss, than go 3-9 with a 2nd round loss.

what about 0-5 start, but finish 10-6?

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

what about 0-5 start, but finish 10-6?

There's no question that playing 16 games would be the ultimate season no matter the record.  But..go ahead and tell me how often a team starts off 0-5 and ends up 10-6.  There are only 2 teams per year, per classification that play 16 games.  Getting manhandled in preseason is not the precursor for a state title appearance.  Every coach in the state knows what kind of team they have, and what kind of season to expect.  Most of them are trying to get wins...I guarantee it.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There's no question that playing 16 games would be the ultimate season no matter the record.  But..go ahead and tell me how often a team starts off 0-5 and ends up 10-6.  There are only 2 teams per year, per classification that play 16 games.  Getting manhandled in preseason is not the precursor for a state title appearance.  Every coach in the state knows what kind of team they have, and what kind of season to expect.  Most of them are trying to get wins...I guarantee it.

Wins are good, but are you saying a coach should make schedule that gets his team wins but does not prepare his team for district play and playoffs?

I know several teams that schedule up because their district is "weak".

13 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Wins are good, but are you saying a coach should make schedule that gets his team wins but does not prepare his team for district play and playoffs?

I know several teams that schedule up because their district is "weak".

I'm not saying that at all.  I'm saying there should be a balance reached between showing your kids that you know what you're talking about, putting them in situations similar to ones they'll be in when it counts, and not putting them in a position to be embarrassed.  

Two comments for what you said about scheduling up because their district is weak. I know a lot of teams that do that because their district is weak and it ends up not mattering...because they play crappy teams for 2 months before going into the playoffs.  So it's like those preseason games didn't happen.  And..I know of a lot of teams trying to prepare for a tough district..and end up with 2 wins or less on the year.  Those are the situations where coaches get fired.

44 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

So your philosophy is to schedule 4 pre-district cupcakes, knowing that you have 4 district games that you should win easily and two that should be pretty competitive just so you can say you won 9 or 10 games and lose in the first round of the playoffs? As far as getting someone hurt, that is just part of the game. You can just as easily get hurt playing the worst team in the state as you can the best. Or worse, you can have a non-contact injury, look at Teddy Bridgewater.

4 minutes ago, DC10 said:

So your philosophy is to schedule 4 pre-district cupcakes, knowing that you have 4 district games that you should win easily and two that should be pretty competitive just so you can say you won 9 or 10 games and lose in the first round of the playoffs? As far as getting someone hurt, that is just part of the game. You can just as easily get hurt playing the worst team in the state as you can the best. Or worse, you can have a non-contact injury, look at Teddy Bridgewater.

8-2, 9-1, or 10-0 guaranteed is better than maybe 9-1 or maybe 4-6.

There are advantages of playing games that you will probably win.  You can work on things will several different players in different positions..plus playing experience for backups is irreplaceable.