Crosby ISD changes stance on protests

AggiesAreWe

3 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

Guys, it is much deeper than I am right and your are wrong on this issue. So many people use this as a stepping stone to get noticed. The fact is that there is prejudice in this society in one way or another.  That will always be with us. We must overcome the forces that want to push it from on side to another. We must unify. We must talk. I do not agree with Kaepernick and what he has started, but many do. So I want to know what is really going on in society. That may make me step back from my believes and really analyze the  situation to come to the truth. I may have to change my preconceived notions of the truth to what it really is. It also means that someone who believes different than me needs to do the same thing. Until we as a people can humbly look for the Truth we will not find it.  This Country is full of people who want to talk and not listen, ON BOTH SIDES. A man 2,000 years ago said to love your neighbor as yourself. That was the second of the two greatest commandments and that is where we should start.

6 minutes ago, daddy23 said:

I realize that nothing that I say here will have any affect on anyone's opinion.

But I feel the need to kneel and be counted.  Those young football players who have chosen to kneel instead of stand, may not understand completely what they are doing.  But neither do the ones that stand and hold their hand over their hearts.  

What Kaep has done has made so many of us uncomfortable.  And that is a good thing!  It is too easy for White Males to just sit by and think that all is well in America for everyone.  It's not.  But I can still go days without remembering that, because I am one of those privileged White Males.  And watching Football on Sundays (a bunch of millionaires running around playing a game) never made me stop and think about the issues.  But now it does, if only for a few moments.  And I can thank Colin K and all the others who joined in for that.  

I would gladly join them by taking a knee on the sidelines.  For those who think that makes me a bad example to young people, I would beg you to take a quiet look into history.  

The Lorax: Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.

I am glad I clicked this thread.  I needed to see that some folks do get it, even if we don't have the answers.  That is kind of the point to begin with. 

Which brings us back to the intial subject of this thread.  Crosby's superintendent who issued a thoughtful, meaningful statement.  He acknowledged he didn't hold the answers, didn't agree with the kneeling, but expressed a genuine willingness to have an open-minded dialogue.  He gets it. 

While we're down on that knee, can we go ahead and pray to God and thank him for this wonderful country we live in? We've about eliminated Him from everything we do as well. Forget any veterans opinions...I don't have a problem with adults but with kids, I pay for that and I expect a little better or should get to retract a portion of my tax money. Just sayin'. I've lived and worked in 37 countries; you should go to SE Asia and live sometime. You'll stand everytime the American flag is raised.

1 hour ago, robanadana said:

AWhile we're down on that knee, can we go ahead and pray to God and thank him for this wonderful country we live in? We've about eliminated Him from everything we do as well. Forget any veterans opinions...I don't have a problem with adults but with kids, I pay for that and I expect a little better or should get to retract a portion of my tax money. Just sayin'. I've lived and worked in 37 countries; you should go to SE Asia and live sometime. You'll stand everytime the American flag is raised.

A problem in some of those countries is that they force the people there to salute the flag, stand for the anthem, etc no matter their feelings toward it. That's what the USA should be, force everyone to do the same thing?

From Crosby ISD Page:

Proud of our team.

Our team is made up of unique and great young men from various  backgrounds.  We have young men with family members who have served or are serving in the military and law enforcement. We have a coach whose brother was a police officer and recently lost his life protecting those who were protesting peacefully in Dallas.  And we have young men who, in some capacity, have felt that the cards of society are stacked against them. We all carry burdens.  And although we acknowledge their right to do so individually, the team chose to shoulder those burdens as one, like a team should, the way families do. We stood as one when we chose to stand in reverence and respect during the National Anthem on Thursday night.  We knelt as one during the coin toss to meditate or pray as a team for the various concerns that were on the hearts of each individual that makes up the team, and most importantly signify to our community that although we are a collection of diverse and unique individuals, we respect each other and remain united despite our differences. 

The Cougars are honored to represent our community and hope that our demonstration of love and respect for one another, despite our differences, is a positive example for our society.

Coach Jeff Riordan

While many of the uninformed juveniles fail to understand the whole problem, they also fail to realize that their actions say something about their school and community, as a whole, when they do something like this. Just like BC took a hit, after the cartoon last week, now these players and community will take a backwards step in the eyes of the rest of us.

On 9/17/2016 at 1:11 AM, XX Man said:

While many of the uninformed juveniles fail to understand the whole problem, they also fail to realize that their actions say something about their school and community, as a whole, when they do something like this. Just like BC took a hit, after the cartoon last week, now these players and community will take a backwards step in the eyes of the rest of us.

So you're comparing blatant racism in one case to a case of protest to what is felt as racial oppression by the protesters? 

Please don't speak for all of "the rest of us" by saying those players and community took a step backwards. Look at all the vile and racist things hurled at the kids protesting. Simply proving the point of their protest.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:39 PM, Red Dawn said:

From Crosby ISD Page:

Proud of our team.

Our team is made up of unique and great young men from various  backgrounds.  We have young men with family members who have served or are serving in the military and law enforcement. We have a coach whose brother was a police officer and recently lost his life protecting those who were protesting peacefully in Dallas.  And we have young men who, in some capacity, have felt that the cards of society are stacked against them. We all carry burdens.  And although we acknowledge their right to do so individually, the team chose to shoulder those burdens as one, like a team should, the way families do. We stood as one when we chose to stand in reverence and respect during the National Anthem on Thursday night.  We knelt as one during the coin toss to meditate or pray as a team for the various concerns that were on the hearts of each individual that makes up the team, and most importantly signify to our community that although we are a collection of diverse and unique individuals, we respect each other and remain united despite our differences. 

The Cougars are honored to represent our community and hope that our demonstration of love and respect for one another, despite our differences, is a positive example for our society.

Coach Jeff Riordan

I know it's been tough on Riordan who is still a rather young guy himself, especially after Coach Thompson's brother was killed in the Dallas police shootings. I also think Riordan is the perfect guy to handle the situation for a multitude of reasons. Hopefully nothing that has happened will effect his future willingness to stay at Crosby as different opportunities arise. People from different cultures will never agree on this type of stuff, just like people can't agree on a presidential candidate. I think all the events of the prior week, culminating in a loss on the football field will bring us together. Just like all the recent wins have.   

*Mods, can we lock this thread and just talk about Crosby losing to Porter for the next two weeks? Much more light-hearted to talk about film than flags.