West Orange-Stark 55 Bridge City 0/FINAL

WOSgrad

18 minutes ago, #1stangfan said:

You seem very knowledgable so I'm not trying to challenge what you say.  Those guys are the most prominent but a couple others have made it to the NFL as well.

OH no doubt.   Chris Cole played for a bit and Greg Hill played for a few different teams and had a nice career.  I may be missing some others but those come to mind.  Just saying it's remarkable when you have little ole West Orange producing not one but TWO All Pros within two decades.  Only 4 DBs get named to that team each year.  Amazing to me. 

1 hour ago, TimRiggins said:

Not that BC had a chance in hell but I can't stand to see a team be so one dimensional. Have to be able to have a spread type formation also. Was my same problem with Stump and not running any power offense. BC will be ok and make the playoffs but the Wing T will only take you so far. 

WOS is awesome and I'm not sure it's crazy to say they're the best team in all of Texas. Jack Dallas is great. Hats off to a great program. 

I have argued this with my friends that are fans of other teams that do the same thing.  In my opinion if you run an offense like this, you are being very short sighted.  Sure you might go 8-2 but you have mortgaged the farm on winning some ball games and have put the ultimate prize out of reach.  My best friend growing up went to LCM and during the "good" years I would tell him as soon as they run into a team that can stop the run, the book is closed.  That was the mid to late 90s.  In 2000 WOS saw Friendswood and ultimately Ennis running more wide open offenses and it seems about that time that the offensive landscape as a whole has changed.  We have seen the more successful programs in the state have a spread or at least a more balanced attack (there are exceptions to the rule).  

Anyway....just agreeing with your post.  I would like to see those teams cultivate their athletes talent to give them more of a chance.

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

OH no doubt.   Chris Cole played for a bit and Greg Hill played for a few different teams and had a nice career.  I may be missing some others but those come to mind.  Just saying it's remarkable when you have little ole West Orange producing not one but TWO All Pros within two decades.  Only 4 DBs get named to that team each year.  Amazing to me. 

Greg Hill?  The guy that was at Aggy?? 

2 minutes ago, TimRiggins said:

Crazy to think WOS lost two D1 guys that moved in Trey Baldwin and Dillon Sterling-Cole. It's truly next man up over there. Awesome that it helped create a spot for Dallas though. Whatever school takes a chance on him will be happy IMO

I've compared him to Major Applewhite on several occasions.  My son said tonight he reminds him of the Horns new QB, Shane Buechele.  My sample size with him is one game but I see the comparison.  

Jack impresses me everytime I see him.  A lot of kids are talented and a lot of kids are coachable.  JD is definitely both.  But he also has something that can't be taught and only a few have.  It's so special the best term we can use to describe it is "IT."  And Jack Dallas most certainly has "IT."

7 minutes ago, #1stangfan said:

I have argued this with my friends that are fans of other teams that do the same thing.  In my opinion if you run an offense like this, you are being very short sighted.  Sure you might go 8-2 but you have mortgaged the farm on winning some ball games and have put the ultimate prize out of reach.  My best friend growing up went to LCM and during the "good" years I would tell him as soon as they run into a team that can stop the run, the book is closed.  That was the mid to late 90s.  In 2000 WOS saw Friendswood and ultimately Ennis running more wide open offenses and it seems about that time that the offensive landscape as a whole has changed.  We have seen the more successful programs in the state have a spread or at least a more balanced attack (there are exceptions to the rule).  

Anyway....just agreeing with your post.  I would like to see those teams cultivate their athletes talent to give them more of a chance.

Couldn't have said it better! Bridge City and teams with similar offenses will win some games and most likely make the playoffs but that's about it. Any time you run into an elite team like Carthage last year, WOS tonight there's zero hope. Dubois is a great coach but I just find it a must to have a more balanced attack if you ever wanna really make some noise. BC Quarterback has some pretty impressive tape as a passer from his sophomore year as the starting QB so I imagine it's there still.

You guys have to remember that personnel dictates what you can do offensively.  The slot T is a great offense for teams like BC, Vidor and Orangefield.  Why?  Because you are not going to "out-athlete" the West Orange Starks of the world.  Your best chance is ball control, keep it away from them and execute.  BC didn't do that tonight and probably can't.

But spreading the field brings speed as the key component and sorry, you lose there 100 times out of 100.  I know BC has a few kids who are relatively fast but you do not have anyone on the same planet as KJ Miller, Shaw, etc.  They simply made the opponents look like they were running with lead boots.  

Sometimes your ceiling is simply being a playoff team.  And all you can do is your best.  Unless Steve Worster finds the fountain of youth, BC isn't going to be a deep playoff team in sports that don't involve a bat.  And that's not a slam on BC.  You guys are WAYYY ahead of where you were a couple of years ago.  And should continue to improve.  But let's not take a blowout against one of the best teams in the state and think you have to reinvent the wheel...

Oh, and you don't get your behind whipped on the line of scrimmage and move the ball, I don't care what offense you run.  And their big uns were a LOT better than your big uns.  

Speaking of, as is often the case, WOS's O Line probably doesn't get enough love.  Those guys do a FANTASTIC job.  The Mustangs are nasty in the trenches!

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You guys have to remember that personnel dictates what you can do offensively.  The slot T is a great offense for teams like BC, Vidor and Orangefield.  Why?  Because you are not going to "out-athlete" the West Orange Starks of the world.  Your best chance is ball control, keep it away from them and execute.  BC didn't do that tonight and probably can't.

But spreading the field brings speed as the key component and sorry, you lose there 100 times out of 100.  I know BC has a few kids who are relatively fast but you do not have anyone on the same planet as KJ Miller, Shaw, etc.  They simply made the opponents look like they were running with lead boots.  

Sometimes your ceiling is simply being a playoff team.  And all you can do is your best.  Unless Steve Worster finds the fountain of youth, BC isn't going to be a deep playoff team in sports that don't involve a bat.  And that's not a slam on BC.  You guys are WAYYY ahead of where you were a couple of years ago.  And should continue to improve.  But let's not take a blowout against one of the best teams in the state and think you have to reinvent the wheel...

I agree.  But many of the programs that run this...the coach never changes the offense.  Rather than adapt to the players talent, the players are molded to the coaching philosophy.

I completely agree the Wing T/whatever you wanna call it is the best options for BC and teams like OF/Vidor. But you have to have another option if you get down. Nothing BC coulda tried would've worked vs WOS tonight regardless. I guess you live/die by the run if you're BC. BC's O-Line had gotten a lot of praise but was blown up tonight, no knock on them just WOS being dominant as usual.

Hunter Denton for Bridge City may have been the fastest guy on the field from what I hear though? Track wise at least. 

24 minutes ago, TimRiggins said:

I completely agree the Wing T/whatever you wanna call it is the best options for BC and teams like OF/Vidor. But you have to have another option if you get down. Nothing BC coulda tried would've worked vs WOS tonight regardless. I guess you live/die by the run if you're BC. BC's O-Line had gotten a lot of praise but was blown up tonight, no knock on them just WOS being dominant as usual.

Hunter Denton for Bridge City may have been the fastest guy on the field from what I hear though? Track wise at least.

Apparently on the track.  With pads on, compared to KJ Miller?  He looked pedestrian.  He did have a couple of nice returns though.  And he had trouble getting to the corner all night  

WOS looked like they had the 4 or 5 or 10 fastest guys on the field...

3 hours ago, TimRiggins said:

Has KJ committed anywhere? He's spectacular. Lamar has really got to start getting some of these guys. Besides Mark Roberts and Depauldrick Garrett, I don't know of any WOS players that have played at LU. May be missing a few but that's a dang shame.

LU hasn't even offered my kid and he has 1 Offer and that's from Kentucky Christan (Football) Talked with 2 other Colleges about Baseball but they haven't offered neither......KJ went to the LA Tech, and Northwestern St Football Camps and totally dominated them...To where the coaches was praising him, but no offer......We also went to a loop FBU camp and KJ won MVP of the Entire Camp...Next Saturday we will attend Texas A&M Kingsville bekuz he was invite to there college...Us as a family knows its a process but the recruiting process is crazy and I don't know what they  are looking for out of him plus KJ has the grades to go with skill set....At one camp he was told, he  had all the right skill sets they where looking for but he 5'5".....I just constantly remind him to keep working and what God has in store for him nobody can ever take it away..As long as he keep earning his Respek like he doing..Whatever college takes a chance on him he will be a sleeper...People forget KJ was a 1st Team THSBA All State Baseball 2nd Basemen/2nd Team TSWA  All State Utility Player that hit .451....Sunday KJ has a workout in Houston for Some MLB Scouts and its a follow up from after watching him during the Summer while playing on his Cardinal Select Baseball Team.....Its great that he has options but as a parent its must I keep him focused at the task at hand..

I had people texting me last night after the first quarter saying that they see y we had too call almost 20 schools including Louisiana and Oklahoma tring too fill two slots on wos schedule because nobody wants the pain and the lost, Celina  coach flat out hung up the phone screaming no, jasper Coach said he rather have the bye week than play us they had a superintendent meeting wos walks in and all the others superintendents turn their backs whispering we not playing them and there back u get the picture 

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Ernest anderson

I was so pleased that coach Thompson and staff got to play all there kids last night three games in a roll . at haft time people were talking about the 15 kids that will be back 2017 I feel sure coach Thompson has a smile on his face when ask what dose it look like for next year. I went to watch the JV  game and I understand the smile  on his face

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Post game thoughts... I knew that WOS is great this year, and we knew what we needed to do if we had any chance of winning. We obviously did not do those things. WOS's D is filthy, and the last thing we needed to do is kick over the hornet's nest. I'm a homer all of the way, but I have no problem with the way the game was played by WOS. 

My hat is off to the young men from WOS.  Not only did they play a fantastic game, but they were very, VERY sportsmanlike in what could have been an ugly game. I can't overstate what a fine group of competitors that proved themselves to be. The postgame pleasantries between Coach Dubois and some of our players reaching out to the victim of this weeks racial hatred, and his receptiveness to their gestures was a great thing, I believe.

WOS's field goal game needs some work before they get deep into the playoffs.  Otherwise I don't see any weak spots.  

We need to throw all of our cell phones into Cow Bayou and stay the hell off of social media.  

We'll be a better team for having played a highly motivated WOS team. 

I've got to reiterate what a fine group of young men are taking the field for WOS this year. Y'all should be proud. I'm glad I can go back to being a WOS fan after this disaster of a week and game. 

Well said CardinalBacker.

6 hours ago, #1stangfan said:

I agree.  But many of the programs that run this...the coach never changes the offense.  Rather than adapt to the players talent, the players are molded to the coaching philosophy.

I hope all our area teams that run this change some things up and adapt to its personal. Bc it limits you. Someone isn't blocked on every play.