Adrian Pererson uses statement by wos HC Thompson as fuel.

Trufan

MP: Best high school memory?

AP:
 The first game my junior year against Huntsville, right outside of Houston. We had a coach there named Coach Thompson, and was at Palestine the previous year. Jeff Harrell came in and was our new coach at Palestine. Thompson transferred out to Huntsville and saying Palestine will never win, and this and that. That got me going.

Our first game was against Huntsville. I ran for 359 yards and six touchdowns. We shut them out. That's a game I will never forget.

31 minutes ago, easttexiasbias said:

Isn't Coach Thompson correct though? Has Palestine ever one anything significant?

That is correct. The school did not allow Coach Thompson to run the program the way he was accustomed to doing things. The kids there were soft and did not want to work. Plus, the parents and community did not like all of the commitment that was called upon for them to be better and become a winner. So, Coach Thompson left for a better opportunity. Palestine was basically a one-man team when Peterson played there. A couple of years later, when Thompson returned to WO-S as DC, they met Palestine in a playoff game. WO-S won that game decisively. Palestine has barely sniffed the playoffs since that year. At the end of the Palestine/WO-S matchup, Coach Thompson went over to the Palestine sidelines to shake hands with the school principal. The principal refused. It was a bad place to coach football and Coach Thompson was smart to leave there.

26 minutes ago, griff said:

That is correct. The school did not allow Coach Thompson to run the program the way he was accustomed to doing things. The kids there were soft and did not want to work. Plus, the parents and community did not like all of the commitment that was called upon for them to be better and become a winner. So, Coach Thompson left for a better opportunity. Palestine was basically a one-man team when Peterson played there. A couple of years later, when Thompson returned to WO-S as DC, they met Palestine in a playoff game. WO-S won that game decisively. Palestine has barely sniffed the playoffs since that year. At the end of the Palestine/WO-S matchup, Coach Thompson went over to the Palestine sidelines to shake hands with the school principal. The principal refused. It was a bad place to coach football and Coach Thompson was smart to leave there.

Sooooo let me get this straight. this guy can only coach if the situation is right? lol .  I knew one of you would make a post saying exactly what you just stated. According to you, this guy is not responsible for the losses Palestine suffered while he was the coach. You said, "the kids were soft", the school wouldn't allow him to run the program the way he was accustomed and the community wasn't committed. If you don't attach those losses to him then I don't give him credit for the wins at wos. the community is committed. these young men put in work all year long to insure their success. this dude is allowed to do anything he wants, almost to a cult like level.It sounds like wos is a gold mine of talent and work ethic. Any coach would win here. 

49 minutes ago, griff said:

sounds like a user to me. This dude will only coach if there is something in it for him. lol. Do you think he teaches his athletes that if you are in a situation and it looks like you might not win or it's going to be difficult, just cut your losses and walk away. And, on your way out call them losers. I thought the american way was to roll up your sleeves, put your nose to the grind stone and make it happen. 

Trufan, you are full of bitterness. It sounds like you have an ax to grind. Are you a former player would couldn't make it in his program or someone who just doesn't like WO-S? It's one of the two. 

He was only at Palestine ONE season. I said nothing about his record there. You did. Not every situation is a good one. Just know this...I know Cornel Thompson personally. I know what he dealt with up there in Palestine. You don't. The program is not committed to do what a PROVEN WINNER (Thompson) knows would make Palestine a winner, as well. You might be willing to have a pushover coach in your community, but Thompson will not subject himself to that. 

WO-S did not become an overnight success. NO, not anyone can win there. We saw what happened in the three years when Thompson left. Our off season weight program became non-existent, the defense got weaker, and WO-S missed the playoffs. He was Dan Hooks right hand man. A coach like Thompson is not a dime a dozen. 

Lighten up, Frances. 

29 minutes ago, griff said:

Trufan, you are full of bitterness. It sounds like you have an ax to grind. Are you a former player would couldn't make it in his program or someone who just doesn't like WO-S? It's one of the two. 

He was only at Palestine ONE season. I said nothing about his record there. You did. Not every situation is a good one. Just know this...I know Cornel Thompson personally. I know what he dealt with up there in Palestine. You don't. The program is not committed to do what a PROVEN WINNER (Thompson) knows would make Palestine a winner, as well. You might be willing to have a pushover coach in your community, but Thompson will not subject himself to that. 

WO-S did not become an overnight success. NO, not anyone can win there. We saw what happened in the three years when Thompson left. Our off season weight program became non-existent, the defense got weaker, and WO-S missed the playoffs. He was Dan Hooks right hand man. A coach like Thompson is not a dime a dozen. 

Lighten up, Frances. 

Lol. Not bitter, no ax to grind. I'm not even from here.  I only talk about what I see from MY opinion. I love sports. I try to be objective. I don't think that you are being objective at all. You love this dude. He is family to you. You will only see him in a positive light and will over look any short comings. That's cool. That's what family does. I'm gonna need you to stop being so sensitive. This is a high school sports blog. We are all all on here to discuss high school football with others accross Setx. Nothing personal. I posted an article the subject of that article mention a local coach. You made it personal. I responded to your post. 

Nah, you came out swinging and made it sound personal, so I responded in kind. You were looking for an exchange with someone. You admitted it.

1 hour ago, Trufan said:

I knew one of you would make a post saying exactly what you just stated.

You tried to make this into something like I'm making excuses for his record in Palestine. His record there doesn't bother me. One year is not time enough to build a program. The fact that I know him does not mean I think he's perfect. I haven't agreed with his decisions 100% of the time over his career, but his results speak for themselves. He's not an angel...just very good at what he does and with a successful track record to show for it. It shows in the kind of defenses he's lead (while DC), his state championship last year, and the many players who have become good men in large part for being under his mentorship. They come back to visit and thank him all the time. He has stacks of letters from former players who expressed appreciation. When a professional has methods that breed success, you tend to believe in what they are doing. That is how I view Coach Thompson. I would see it the same way even if I didn't know him. 

1 hour ago, Trufan said:

sounds like a user to me. This dude will only coach if there is something in it for him. lol.

Yeah...your comments sound really objective. Lol. Give it a rest. 

We have two new coaches on the WO-S staff this year. One is from a local setx school. Both of them have said that if their former schools ran practices the way WO-S does, half the team would quit. That's what I meant by Palestine being "soft". WO-S did not develop a reputation for being a very physical team by coincidence. We play the way we practice. 

20 minutes ago, griff said:

We have two new coaches on the WO-S staff this year. One is from a local setx school. Both of them have said that if their former schools ran practices the way WO-S does, half the team would quit. That's what I meant by Palestine being "soft". WO-S did not develop a reputation for being a very physical team by coincidence. We play the way we practice. 

I have an idea of the coaches that you speak of. Jeff Harrell was DC at LCM when he left with CT to run the defense. Jeff only stayed the head coach for Palestine for 2 years with 9-3 and 9-2  winning seasons. Im sure your right about CT reasons for leaving. They probably would not let Jeff run things the way he wanted eithier and thats  probably why he left. Jeff was a good coach I wish he was still at LCM.

Very interesting.  I actually remember that Palestine - Huntsville game because I have followed Huntsville for decades, but I didn't know the Thompson angle.  Peterson didn't play for Thompson, and Palestine had only won 7 games in 4 years before Peterson.  Huntsville goes up there the next year in 2002 and some dude (AP) that I had never heard of sets the school single game rushing record in a route over Huntsville.  He of course ended up rushing for over 5,000 yards in his 2 years and took a terrible team to the playoffs both years.  Now after all these years, I finally see what motivated him in that game.  Thanks for the link.  

49 minutes ago, griff said:

And I think that fear of quitters is a reason one of these teams has had problems in the past.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

AP could've been in another maroon jersey in HS from what I was told couple years ago. And my oh my if that would've happened hwy 69/96 would've been hopping on Fridays to see it, money well spent. 

What team is that? And surely you aren't saying someone was recruiting him.. (sarcasm)

I can see both sides of the argument of a coach only staying 1 year.

Usually I would be on the side that 1 year isn't enough time to commit to turning a program around. But if things were as some said and he wasn't getting support from the administration, being told how to run his practices,etc. you can't blame him for wanting out.