WOS vs Silsbee

Gasilla

19 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Might as well get the party started. You know it's coming anyway... Honestly hoping I can get my boy out of the shadows. You know he's reading!

Also want to know what all the talk is about. Didn't know about 3 star QB's and 10th ranked RB's.

19 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Might as well get the party started. You know it's coming anyway... Honestly hoping I can get my boy out of the shadows. You know he's reading!

Also want to know what all the talk is about. Didn't know about 3 star QB's and 10th ranked RB's.

This is the hidden content, please

Ill say it again.. this conversation goes no where for one reason.

History. 

But try this on....

How many TRULY believe its about individual talent this year?  Not a total team efficiency. Be honest.

I can't tell you how many times WOS has fed crow to teams and except for some

truly exceptional athletes the most dominating aspect of WOS is History. 

That history comes from success.  They have my respect as a program. I'm sure there are others.

That success breeds a mindset of winning.

That mindset is what the players look forward to.  The fear they instill in other teams before the first snap.

Opponents have to overcome that fear of missing that one tackle, that one play that starts the roll. 

That one play that puts them down by 7, then 14, then ...... well you get the idea.

Its rarely about individual talent.  Its about a team mindset.

Pay attention people.  The Silsbee fans that take the time to brave this board and have to be fed the crow of past history are talking about a hopeful and promising change in mindset.  A team mindset.

If any team can find it, feel it, embrace it and then build on it, it is Silsbee.

Will it be this year.  Who knows. There is a good chance of success.

They can feel it.  They are on the hunt.  Up to the players to believe and then embrace.

They have the talent.  Hands down. 

#TigerNation

3 hours ago, kicker said:

Of all the talk, all this game does is make both of our teams better. That's the whole point of us scheduling Silsbee and Silsbee scheduling us. Yes there is a lot of "talk" but that's all fine and dandy but talk is talk. When you carry a big stick, your opponents lip service is just that...lip service.  Of course we all know after that game we will both be behind each other's team 112% no matter the outcome. I've been staying away from commenting on this game because of obvious reasons. All I'm going to do is ask a question, a real question just to stimulate a discussion. Not smack talk, rather a real answer from Silsbee fans.....this question has no malice or nefarious intentions.... Here it goes... So what makes Silsbee fans believe they will beat WOS when the facts are this: Silsbee lost an unbelievable QB(that for the most part, a young WOS team, held in check) lost their head coach(which was a good one), claims their running game will beat WOS(when stopping the run is the Mustang forte) and WOS is returning their WHOLE State Chanpionship team minus 4 players? Yes, I understand that Sislbee was young and has a lot of underclass men talent returning but think about what I'm about to state.....go back and look at the Seniors this year for the Mustangs. Just count how many games they have played total in the past 3 years. By the time the playoffs come around, most of them will have played 42 games, a lot of them big, before the first round of the 2016 playoffs. That's not counting people like Mandel King who has played since his freshman year on varsity. My point is that type of experience cannot be taught or practiced. It doesn't matter what Silsbee can or should have this season, all I know is that WOS was "Texas Tested" and they are returning the whole team that aced that test...........

Great post.

4 hours ago, Gasilla said:

You say they are running a totally different offense? Did they scrap the Spread? Where did this QB play last year? Do you have any stats?

The kid is ok. Nothing special! ! Played  at legacy Christian.  Wat he will face in da speed of w.o defense will have him rattled. But I think as da season goes on he will do real well.

41 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

If Silsbee was D2 and WOS D1, do you think WOS would have still won state? Carthage beat down WOS a few years ago and always beat Silsbee. Seems to me Silsbee has a lot harder road to state than WOS. 

The Carthage win over WO-S a few years ago was not a beat down (28-14). The WO-S defense played well against that vaunted Carthage offense, but the Mustangs committed six turnovers. That was the story of the game. Coach Surrat said WO-S was the hardest hitting team he had ever played. 

As for the comparison between D1 and D2...after watching LaVega (last year's D1 champion who destroyed Carthage 39-3), it would have been a good matchup, but one WO-S could win. Coach Thompson tried to get LaVega on the pre-season schedule this season. Coach Williams at LaVega was interested, but the open dates and available dates were not compatible. We will be playing one of D1's better teams Sept. 10 - Kennedale.  

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

With Calvin Tyler and Willie Jones III in the backfield along with Thomas, Silsbee will be a problem for WOS. Silsbee has more speed and size this year than years past. 

Agreed...

Me thinks some need to check out these highlights of Calvin 'lil C' Tyler Jr. from this past year...  Vs. 5a and 6a competition when he was at Ozen...

31 minutes ago, griff said:

Tyler looks terrific. He never stops moving forward and has good lateral movement. Excellent RB. Silsbee got a good one. 

One of his strengths is his acceleration.  He accelerates while in the hole making him hard as heck to get a hand on.  He and Thomas will have a field day in this district...

54 minutes ago, Back2swag said:

Silsbee has proven nothing , they are avg 4a 

I'd rate Silsbee pretty far north of average. The only team in the area that had almost as much trouble finding a 10th game as WO-S was Silsbee....and there is a reason for that.

On 9/2, I think you might see what that reason was.

You add 2 people to your team and all of a sudden you say you can beat us. YOU HAVE TO STOP US TO BEAT US! We haven't lost a beat on offense and the defense has gotten better. Worry about PNG and Newton before worrying about us because I can guarantee you we aren't worried about no week 4 game. 

7 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

You add 2 people to your team and all of a sudden you say you can beat us. YOU HAVE TO STOP US TO BEAT US! We haven't lost a beat on offense and the defense has gotten better. Worry about PNG and Newton before worrying about us because I can guarantee you we aren't worried about no week 4 game. 

Uh, I believe a Mustang fan started this thread. ;)

13 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Ill say it again.. this conversation goes no where for one reason.

History. 

But try this on....

How many TRULY believe its about individual talent this year?  Not a total team efficiency. Be honest.

I can't tell you how many times WOS has fed crow to teams and except for some

truly exceptional athletes the most dominating aspect of WOS is History. 

That history comes from success.  They have my respect as a program. I'm sure there are others.

That success breeds a mindset of winning.

That mindset is what the players look forward to.  The fear they instill in other teams before the first snap.

Opponents have to overcome that fear of missing that one tackle, that one play that starts the roll. 

That one play that puts them down by 7, then 14, then ...... well you get the idea.

Its rarely about individual talent.  Its about a team mindset.

Pay attention people.  The Silsbee fans that take the time to brave this board and have to be fed the crow of past history are talking about a hopeful and promising change in mindset.  A team mindset.

If any team can find it, feel it, embrace it and then build on it, it is Silsbee.

Will it be this year.  Who knows. There is a good chance of success.

They can feel it.  They are on the hunt.  Up to the players to believe and then embrace.

They have the talent.  Hands down. 

#TigerNation

I've been preaching how big an asset tradition is - Hugh!  For example, say Nederland is up by 14 over Vidor at the start of the 4th Qtr.  I bet Most of the Pirates are thinking, well we played a good game.   Now, Vidor up by 14.  What are the Ned players thinking - alright, let's get off our butts and win this game.  As Silsbee92 pointed out, it's the mindset.   I know many of you have seen me post this before, but it fits this thread.  Local Teams like WO-S, Ned, Newton, they don't know how to lose.  You may beat them on the scoreboard, but you don't mentally beat them.

BTW, this should be a great game.  Some outstanding athletes will be on that field.