Lumberton's field

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

It's a shame we don have turf!! About an embarrassment with such a nice stadium.

Grass is an embarrassment?  I would think the bigger embarassment would be if a school had inadequate classroom facilities or academic results. Turf is a luxury that some districts are either unable or unwilling to pay for.  Unfortunately, there are priorities for some districts...

I agree with your statement about the academics.  It's not the grass itself that's really the embarrassment but the condition of the field.  If the grass field was able to be kept in good physical condition,. I would really have no problem with it but that hasn't been the case for several years.

If more taxpayers had a clue about how poorly the state legislature funds school districts they would understand why more fields aren't turfed or why gyms don't have stadium seating...Hard to spend that kind of money when you're trying to make sure you're holding on to all your teaching positions, fixing the roofs and A/C units, buying replacement buses etc etc especially when the oil and gas prices are in the dumpster which takes away a lot of tax dollars..Not to mention the increase cost districts have seen caused by the affordable care act. (yes this effected public school districts too as they are employers)...When districts face this they got to prioritize and turf usually doesn't make the list...

Turf fields pay for themselves over time.  Water, mowing, paint, maintenance, etc...That's including a practice field.  Because with a turf field...you don't need a practice field.  Plus the money you spend on man hours doing those necessary jobs.  Plus the fact that turf fields are weather resistant...isn't there more rainfall in this area of the state than anywhere?  Just saying.

Plus the potential for extra money (hosting playoff games).  Silsbee would be an ideal venue due to the size of the school plus location.  I don't know of very many coaches searching the state for a grass field to play a game on.

I'm sorry...but it's more about ignorance than anything.  If taxpayers knew the amount of money they would eventually save, every high school would have a turf field.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Turf fields pay for themselves over time.  Water, mowing, paint, maintenance, etc...That's including a practice field.  Because with a turf field...you don't need a practice field.  Plus the money you spend on man hours doing those necessary jobs.  Plus the fact that turf fields are weather resistant...isn't there more rainfall in this area of the state than anywhere?  Just saying.

Plus the potential for extra money (hosting playoff games).  Silsbee would be an ideal venue due to the size of the school plus location.  I don't know of very many coaches searching the state for a grass field to play a game on.

I'm sorry...but it's more about ignorance than anything.  If taxpayers knew the amount of money they would eventually save, every high school would have a turf field.

Well said and very true. They are a long term (10 year) investment and more than pay for themselves. 

Do we have pictures of the progress?

Well, let's back the train up a little bit. I don't know know if you are trying to say that the purchase of a turf field is a one time only cash outlay, because if you are, both you and I know that is not the case.  These fields, like their grass counterparts, need regular maintenance (usually by a professional company as the school districts have no one with the expertise to do so) and replacement (just ask the folks over in Port Neches who had to rip up their new Reservation turf after only one year and replace it).  Now, I won't disagree that maintenance costs probably decrease with the insertion of a turf field, but to imply that there are none feeds the same ignorance that you decry.

I will agree with you that in some cases such an expenditure is necessary and the example that you give in Silsbee is a prime one.  There are some cases where it makes sense in order to preserve facilities that are already in place.  Silsbee and West Orange-Stark chewed that field up back in 2009 and many feel that field is just beginning to recover...some think it still hasn't.  Cases like that call for a need for a new turf.

I would caution against lauding the carrot of playoff venue revenue as a payment for any artificial turf.  Aside from BISD, can you name me a school district east of the Trinity that has hosted a playoff game after installing turf?  Although I am certainly subject to correction on this, I can't recall one.

There are many legitimate benefits to converting to a "field turf" field.  It is just that the ability to crow "Hey, look at us! We have turf!" isn't one of them.

19 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, let's back the train up a little bit. I don't know know if you are trying to say that the purchase of a turf field is a one time only cash outlay, because if you are, both you and I know that is not the case.  These fields, like their grass counterparts, need regular maintenance (usually by a professional company as the school districts have no one with the expertise to do so) and replacement (just ask the folks over in Port Neches who had to rip up their new Reservation turf after only one year and replace it).  Now, I won't disagree that maintenance costs probably decrease with the insertion of a turf field, but to imply that there are none feeds the same ignorance that you decry.

I will agree with you that in some cases such an expenditure is necessary and the example that you give in Silsbee is a prime one.  There are some cases where it makes sense in order to preserve facilities that are already in place.  Silsbee and West Orange-Stark chewed that field up back in 2009 and many feel that field is just beginning to recover...some think it still hasn't.  Cases like that call for a need for a new turf.

I would caution against lauding the carrot of playoff venue revenue as a payment for any artificial turf.  Aside from BISD, can you name me a school district east of the Trinity that has hosted a playoff game after installing turf?  Although I am certainly subject to correction on this, I can't recall one.

There are many legitimate benefits to converting to a "field turf" field.  It is just that the ability to crow "Hey, look at us! We have turf!" isn't one of them.

Yes, the main issue one may run into as far as hosting playoff games is the fact that geographically SETX is really a midway point for anyone.  Reason being that most SETX schools play schools from outside of SETX starting as early as round 1.

However, it could be a good location (Silsbee) for a school that decided to flip for home because of not being able to decide on a location.  That would probably be more feasible.  I know a few years ago WOS played Carthage at the Montagne Center.

This is a good move by the community and school district. If the district has money to use on turf and TAX payers don't mind the increase then its a good move. Most teams in playoff situations look for the best stadium to play in and turf is more neutral than grass in my opinion. In the long run this will be a good financial move for the raiders. Hope to catch a few games there next year.

On April 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM, oldschool2 said:

Yes, the main issue one may run into as far as hosting playoff games is the fact that geographically SETX is really a midway point for anyone.  Reason being that most SETX schools play schools from outside of SETX starting as early as round 1.

However, it could be a good location (Silsbee) for a school that decided to flip for home because of not being able to decide on a location.  That would probably be more feasible.  I know a few years ago WOS played Carthage at the Montagne Center.

wow that must of been pretty neat. i have never seen a football game played on a basketball court.

1 hour ago, OneChance said:

Does anybody know where the money came from for Lumberton's turf? I never heard about anything for the public to vote on! Normally, if taxpayer money is going to be used on stadium upgrades it is placed in a school bond to be voted on by the public.

Wouldn't require a public vote if the money used came from the fund balance. The Board could vote to use if brought to them by the Superintendent..

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:44 PM, WOSgrad said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I remember that game.  What a war.

Silsbee's football field has gotten better since, the amount of rain was down tremendously last year.  But we play soccer on it and that is usually during poor weather conditions as well.  Either a new sodding or turf would benefit Silsbee, turf has been mentioned but Silsbee is in the middle of building a new Elementary campus so I doubt it comes soon.

All hail the grass.

I meant Lamar's football field.

I understood what you meant, which is why I didn't bother further on that. The game you are thinking about was Silsbee and Carthage.  WO-S and Carthage met a week later at the Butch.

38 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I understood what you meant, which is why I didn't bother further on that. The game you are thinking about was Silsbee and Carthage.  WO-S and Carthage met a week later at the Butch.

Must be my Sometimers acting up again.  Getting old is a hell of a thing.

The point was that the game's were played down here as a result of flipping home and home.  And had there been a nice turf stadium to use, that particular school would've benefited financially.  I think Lumberton going turf could potentially fill that roll.  As I think Silsbee could as well.  Both are pretty decent locations being on the relative northern part of the SETX area.

On 4/4/2016 at 1:44 PM, WOSgrad said:

I'm thinking Hardin may have. I believe it was Newton and New Waverley. 

On 4/4/2016 at 11:52 AM, oldschool2 said:

I could see Silsbee hosting some of the small school playoffs. Unfortunately, WOS isn't centrally located to anything. I'm not even sure if there has ever been a playoff game held there period.Geographically, we are the most "tucked away in the corner" Highschool in the State.