Running up the score

ST413

32 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Here's an article on how Nevada handled this problem,. What do you think?

This is the hidden content, please

This is one of our problems as a nation. All these stupid mercy rules and participation trophies. So little Johnny placed 8th in the swim meet. Don't recognize it. He lost...badly. Instead his parents should pat him on the back and tell him to work harder. And if you get run out of the gym, go get better! But thats just me :)

There are times when I feel bad for the kids and the coach , especially if they are just out manned.  But school districts have to place a certain  priority on winning.  I'm not saying win at all cost, but give the program what they need AND give the coach the latitude to RUN the program his / her way.

5 hours ago, Acres53 said:

There are times when I feel bad for the kids and the coach , especially if they are just out manned.  But school districts have to place a certain  priority on winning. I'm not saying win at all cost, but give the program what they need AND give the coach the latitude to RUN the program his / her way.

Amen.  Unfortunately in our state, this isn't always the case, especially in sports not called football. 

As far as the original article, mercy rules should apply in baseball only (it's boring enough when the game isn't a blow out).  I kid you baseball guys - it has a place there because there is no clock.  In basketball, etc., if you don't like the result on the court/field, there are remedies.  Work harder, do something different, etc. 

I applaud the coaches trying not to get up 50 pts in Nevada because it exposes the ridiculousness of the rule.  

21 minutes ago, fox said:

there is unwritten rules in all sports to good sportsmanship when you are blowing out a team. baseball you don't steal, football you run the ball, basketball you don't press and so on.

you should never tell a kid not to play hard but should also teach them good sportsmanship.

Good sportsmanship would be how you handle yourself while you are playing hard...even blowing someone out. We have played teams and with our worst players on the team and blew teams out. The problem is when people whine and try to put in rules to stop the blow out

Personally, I like the idea of running up a score whether it be on the gym floor, football or baseball fields.

If that hurts your feelings, go read a book or paint a picture. Sports is not for everyone.

51 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

My question is what does it TEACH the kids? Is this how it gong to be in LIFE? MERCY RULES? I think its a real disservice to the growth and development of the young people involved.

Just to play devil's advocate here.  Remember when we used to TEACH kids about mercy and respecting others and that there was more to the game and life than just winning?  I'm definitely not for this rule but I am for respecting others and I don't see how beating someone by 100 is okay to say go get better or quit.  I have been on both sides of a beat down and neither side are all that fun to be on.  I truly believe as coaches, we have the opportunity to control the lopsided scores without having to play keep away, lane violations or dribbling to the basket to show we could have scored.  Does it matter what you win by?  Can you put it on your resume in life?

Just thoughts.

9 minutes ago, pallacanestro said:

Just to play devil's advocate here.  Remember when we used to TEACH kids about mercy and respecting others and that there was more to the game and life than just winning?  I'm definitely not for this rule but I am for respecting others and I don't see how beating someone by 100 is okay to say go get better or quit.  I have been on both sides of a beat down and neither side are all that fun to be on.  I truly believe as coaches, we have the opportunity to control the lopsided scores without having to play keep away, lane violations or dribbling to the basket to show we could have scored.  Does it matter what you win by?  Can you put it on your resume in life?

Just thoughts.

Excellent post!! 100% agree.

(and not surprised)

6 minutes ago, pallacanestro said:

Just thoughts.

The better lesson is to finish what you start. Give it 100% until the end. You show mercy and respect when you pick someone up off the floor after you dunk on them. People get the two confused. I believe you can push kids and adults to compete until the end in sports and at the same time show mercy and compassion for people in need. I know people that turn into monsters while competing and then give you the shirt off their back. 

Sorry, I don't like when teams are still pressing and shooting three's in 4th Q when up by 30-80 points no matter if they have their bench players in. This includes my Silsbee Tigers.

In those cases, you cannot tell me the game cannot be played in a different manner. Never liked the "kick'em when they down" mentality.

I can say I have seen games end up being 60-80 point blowouts with the winning team doing all it could to keep the score down as much as possible. It was just the other team was very bad. But I have also seen teams still pressing, playing up tempo when leading by 50 in 4th. That to me is completely unnecessary.

47 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Sorry, I don't like when teams are still pressing and shooting three's in 4th Q when up by 30-80 points no matter if they have their bench players in. This includes my Silsbee Tigers.

In those cases, you cannot tell me the game cannot be played in a different manner. Never liked the "kick'em when they down" mentality.

I can say I have seen games end up being 60-80 point blowouts with the winning team doing all it could to keep the score down as much as possible. It was just the other team was very bad. But I have also seen teams still pressing, playing up tempo when leading by 50 in 4th. That to me is completely unnecessary.

I agree that you should stop pressing. Even putting the bench in is ok. But the 5 on the floor have to keep playing hard and try to score. Whats missing in the conversation is HOW the score was run up. We beat Sabine Pass last year by 90 without pressing and with the bench in. Just looking at the score, one may think we were going all out and tring to kick em when they were down. But that wasnt the case

1 hour ago, winwin said:

The better lesson is to finish what you start. Give it 100% until the end. You show mercy and respect when you pick someone up off the floor after you dunk on them. People get the two confused. I believe you can push kids and adults to compete until the end in sports and at the same time show mercy and compassion for people in need. I know people that turn into monsters while competing and then give you the shirt off their back. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So you get the kids to practice hard, play hard, and they are winning big....Now the kids that don't play as much get some time on the floor...Do you tell them to NOT continue the good habit of playing hard? I understand not pressing and such, but what do you do when your 12, 13, and number 14 guys are better than the other teams starters? Lay down? Just a rhetorical question...