Head coach opening at HF

LCMAlumtiger32

31 minutes ago, LastCall said:

HF people aren't the brightest, I can tell you that.

I was told a story last summer, down at the beach, by a former HF superintendent.....Back in 1974, HF was #1 in the state, Newton was #2, and they were in the same district..  Only 1 team made the playoffs, and Newton beat HF by 1 point or something like that.

Well, the powers to be in HF said #2 wasn't good enough, and they deserved better.  So they ran off a TXHSFB legend in Les Koenning.  Newton went on to win state in 1974, and HF has been fairly unnoticed ever since.

In 1974 HF beat Newton and in 1975 HF went to the state finals and lost to Lagrange. In a bi district game HF did lose to Newton 14 to 13 in 1974

It was more than les got ran off. Hate to see Harris go but glad he Dnt have to put up bs anymore. If any coach would ask him what he had go thru at Hf. All would stay away. Not everyone wanted him to go & other coach released on athletic duties. If that was case HF would not be divided on the situation. I've seen/heard players quit mid season cause of too much running( not applying to football but bball) throughout yrs. . No I didn't always agree with his play calls but he is the head coach. He couldn't come to our job & tell us how to do it so why should certain parents feel they have privilege to go to his job & tell him. Trust some have did jus that. The killer part bout this whole situation is its the seniors football boys hurting most right now. Instead of enjoying their senior yr ...they have to watch 2 of 3 that been there their hs career go thru this. And majority of them fully support the coaches. They should be focus on keep their GPA same or increasing and many are still tryn find right colleges that still have needs in position they play & try walk on. But with the main two coaches who handle matter no longer able to help. The chance is slim to none. ( this is my words & thoughts...not no one I'm kin to in athletics). To coach Harris thanks for all you did for HF. You have taught these guys so much especially sr core. Good luck to you

7 hours ago, MrUmp1 said:

I have never heard that Les K got ran off. I played against that team in 75. He got ran off and just happened to land at Houston  Memorial? I think time has somehow warped that story. 

My thoughts exactly,Les was a great fp softball pitcher,played alot of fp softball games incl Hou Chronicle tournament many years.Wins vs Les on the mound were rare,,awesome individual

11 hours ago, LastCall said:

HF people aren't the brightest, I can tell you that.

I was told a story last summer, down at the beach, by a former HF superintendent.....Back in 1974, HF was #1 in the state, Newton was #2, and they were in the same district..  Only 1 team made the playoffs, and Newton beat HF by 1 point or something like that.

Well, the powers to be in HF said #2 wasn't good enough, and they deserved better.  So they ran off a TXHSFB legend in Les Koenning.  Newton went on to win state in 1974, and HF has been fairly unnoticed ever since.

Apparently the former HF superintendent lied to you or you made up the story. The only fact you got right was that in 1974 HF was #1 in the state and Newton was #2. Newton was not in the same district as HF. Newton was in 17-2A and HF was in 18-2A. Newton started the year as the preseason #1 team. HF and Newton played a non-district game the second week of the season in which HF won 13-8. HF moved up in the rankings and took over the #1 ranking in Week 6. By the end of the year HF was ranked #1 and Newton had moved up to #2. Newton beat HF 14-13 in Bidistrict on their way to winning State. The following year (1975) HF made it to the Semi-Finals where they lost to eventual State Champion La Grange 20-14. Head coach Les Keonning was then hired by 4A (largest division in the state) Spring Branch Memorial as their head coach. I remember when the announcement came over the intercom in school. Everyone at school and in the communities was sad to see him go.

And your statement of HF being fairly un-noticed ever since in nonsense. HF won 3 district championships under Phil Danaher. And no, Danaher was not run off. Like Koenning, he also took a higher paying job, going to Corpus Christi Calallen. During the late 80s through the 90s, HF had one of the best winning percentages of any team in the area under Claude Tarver. And no, HF did not run Tarver off. He took a higher paying job at Bridge City. After Tarver left is when the HF program started going downhill. Paul Walker had 5 subpar years. He was followed by Walt Mangum who had 3 very subpar years. Don Price left after 2 years for a higher paying job. Which brings us to Kane Harris, who has 1 winning season in 4 years. The only coaches "ran off" have had losing records.

I find it very hypocritical that you say HF people aren't the brightest when you follow that with inaccurate statements.

I'll stand by what the man told me.  Wish I could remember his name.  He was employed for the district for over 30 years, as a coach, principal and moved up to the sup's office.

Maybe his story was exaggerated, I don't know.  Maybe he was a little lit, we were at the Ship's Wheel.  I know that HF gets what they deserve after running nearly every coach off for the last 2 decades.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers and sorrier that HF is a coaches quicksand.

1 minute ago, Englebert said:

Three coaches that had losing records were "ran off" in the last 2 decades and you want to characterize that as coaches quicksand? Can you name any school that retains a coach for many consecutive losing seasons? Your posts seem to be long on negative generalizations and short on facts.

Here are the only facts that matter.  The former AD at HF made the playoffs each of his final 2 seasons. Fact.  Criminal charges were brought up against the man...by parents of athletes...for excessive punishment.  Fact.  The charges were dismissed because they were found to be untrue. Fact.  He resigned shortly thereafter.  Fact.

Was he ran off?  Who knows... Truth is only HE himself knows the real reason why he resigned.  But this news article came out right after he resigned 

This is the hidden content, please
 ... and it doesn't say 1 single thing about the fact that the charges were dropped.  Not 1.

So now this ridiculous story (that very strongly implies he resigned because of this) may end up following him to all future employment opportunities.  Because of some whiny, complaining parents of some obviously out of shape kids..This man's life may be affected.  That too..sir..is a fact.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Here are the only facts that matter.  The former AD at HF made the playoffs each of his final 2 seasons. Fact.  Criminal charges were brought up against the man...by parents of athletes...for excessive punishment.  Fact.  The charges were dismissed because they were found to be untrue. Fact.  He resigned shortly thereafter.  Fact.

Was he ran off?  Who knows... Truth is only HE himself knows the real reason why he resigned.  But this news article came out right after he resigned 

... and it doesn't say 1 single thing about the fact that the charges were dropped.  Not 1.

So now this ridiculous story (that very strongly implies he resigned because of this) may end up following him to all future employment opportunities.  Because of some whiny, complaining parents of some obviously out of shape kids..This man's life may be affected.  That too..sir..is a fact.

Do you coach in HF?

Just now, oldschool2 said:

I was not defending the coach or the parents. I was simply replying to the "fact" that LastCall called HF coaches quicksand and to the "fact" that he said people at HF aren't the brightest. The HF coaches were cleared of criminal charges, but I think there is a UIL or TEA investigation still going on.

This whole situation does sound like a bunch of whiny parents complaining about their out-of-shape kids. I guess for some this is justification to make inaccurate generalized statements about the rest of the HF community as a whole.

Just now, PlayActionPass said:

Do you coach in HF?

Definitely not.  I don't coach period.  I'm not from HF, not a supporter of HF, not a spectator of HF, never even seen a HF athletic event, don't even have friends or family that work in HF.

I am a huge supporter of ALL coaches though.  Maybe you haven't seen some of my other replies.  I defend every coach, from every school, in every sport that is ragged on by people anywhere on this site.  SEVERAL of my buddies that I played college ball with got into coaching..and I have numerous family members and n-laws that are in education, or were in education.  I've heard enough about this situation to know that it's garbage.  I'll never understand why coaches do what they do.  No matter how hard they work, how many hours they put in, or how much they care the salary stays what it is.  And their entire way of life is at the stake of 15-18 year old kids.  Who seem to feel more and more entitled all the time.  All the while being constantly ridiculed by parents and fans that THINK they know more about it than the people hired to do it...because they are a 5 year veteran of coaching youth sports.

Honestly I think coaches are crazy for coaching.  But I guess I do understand (to an extent) why they do it.  I do but I don't.  And I can't stand when people run them down or talk negatively about how they are doing what they do...especially knowing that ALL coaches are at the mercy of the amount of talent they may or may not have.  Parents don't like to hear that their kids are just not any good..it's easier to blame a coach.  But anyway.. No I have zero ties to HF or to this coach we're talking about.  I just know a coach's life will most likely be affected because of this community.

3 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I was not defending the coach or the parents. I was simply replying to the "fact" that LastCall called HF coaches quicksand and to the "fact" that he said people at HF aren't the brightest. The HF coaches were cleared of criminal charges, but I think there is a UIL or TEA investigation still going on.

This whole situation does sound like a bunch of whiny parents complaining about their out-of-shape kids. I guess for some this is justification to make inaccurate generalized statements about the rest of the HF community as a whole.

I'm not blaming the community as a whole.  I'm sure their are some very upstanding members of the HF community that had no part in this whatsoever.

And you were defending the community from the comment "coaches quicksand"?  Well buddy...if it wasn't before.  It may be that way soon.. 

24 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Definitely not.  I don't coach period.  I'm not from HF, not a supporter of HF, not a spectator of HF, never even seen a HF athletic event, don't even have friends or family that work in HF.

I am a huge supporter of ALL coaches though.  Maybe you haven't seen some of my other replies.  I defend every coach, from every school, in every sport that is ragged on by people anywhere on this site.  SEVERAL of my buddies that I played college ball with got into coaching..and I have numerous family members and n-laws that are in education, or were in education.  I've heard enough about this situation to know that it's garbage.  I'll never understand why coaches do what they do.  No matter how hard they work, how many hours they put in, or how much they care the salary stays what it is.  And their entire way of life is at the stake of 15-18 year old kids.  Who seem to feel more and more entitled all the time.  All the while being constantly ridiculed by parents and fans that THINK they know more about it than the people hired to do it...because they are a 5 year veteran of coaching youth sports.

Honestly I think coaches are crazy for coaching.  But I guess I do understand (to an extent) why they do it.  I do but I don't.  And I can't stand when people run them down or talk negatively about how they are doing what they do...especially knowing that ALL coaches are at the mercy of the amount of talent they may or may not have.  Parents don't like to hear that their kids are just not any good..it's easier to blame a coach.  But anyway.. No I have zero ties to HF or to this coach we're talking about.  I just know a coach's life will most likely be affected because of this community.

That was very well said.

And as a coach I appreciate the support.

We do it because it is a calling. It is a lot like being a preacher. Lots of critics and people watching every move we make and every word we say. Perception is reality in our world and it is something most of us knew coming in.

The bottom line is, as a AD/HFC you have be a politician to a certain extent and you have to be very aware of how you treat kids in today's society. Ultimately you have to win, or you lose your job. But, you have to win the way the community wants you to win, because you are an employee of the entire community.

10 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

That was very well said.

And as a coach I appreciate the support.

We do it because it is a calling. It is a lot like being a preacher. Lots of critics and people watching every move we make and every word we say. Perception is reality in our world and it is something most of us knew coming in.

The bottom line is, as a AD/HFC you have be a politician to a certain extent and you have to be very aware of how you treat kids in today's society. Ultimately you have to win, or you lose your job. But, you have to win the way the community wants you to win, because you are an employee of the entire community.

As a coach..you will always have my support.  I love sports...and I know sports.  I talk SPORTS all the time with neighbors, friends, and family members.  To the coaches I know..I never talk philosophy.  I don't give suggestions, I don't question, and I don't talk about it behind their back.  

When my kids were growing up I never ONCE suggested to my children that their coach was wrong, and it should be done the way I think it should be done.  Nor did I talk to or about the coach regarding concerns, even when I disagreed with the situation.  That man/woman is being paid to do the job the best way they see fit..so be it.  I had chances to get into coaching.  I didn't do it, so I'll let them do it.

And I do know you're right about the politics.  Which is the EXACT reason I couldn't coach in high school.  I have zero filter..never had one.  I'm very blunt, very honest, and very quick to my point.  My father raised me to be so...so it's what I know.  I can't express enough how undervalued educators are.  People very, very seldom realize the impact they have on the numerous amount of kids they come in contact with.  Situations like this make me sick.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

As a coach..you will always have my support.  I love sports...and I know sports.  I talk SPORTS all the time with neighbors, friends, and family members.  To the coaches I know..I never talk philosophy.  I don't give suggestions, I don't question, and I don't talk about it behind their back.  

When my kids were growing up I never ONCE suggested to my children that their coach was wrong, and it should be done the way I think it should be done.  Nor did I talk to or about the coach regarding concerns, even when I disagreed with the situation.  That man/woman is being paid to do the job the best way they see fit..so be it.  I had chances to get into coaching.  I didn't do it, so I'll let them do it.

And I do know you're right about the politics.  Which is the EXACT reason I couldn't coach in high school.  I have zero filter..never had one.  I'm very blunt, very honest, and very quick to my point.  My father raised me to be so...so it's what I know.  I can't express enough how undervalued educators are.  People very, very seldom realize the impact they have on the numerous amount of kids they come in contact with.  Situations like this make me sick.

It's sad when a few parents end up running the show. Coach Harris will hopefully land on his feet and be happy when he is eventually in a better place to further his career. Coaching is a tough job because of this very thing. It shouldn't be a "political office" type job, but that's what it can turn into. It happens all the time these days. I also don't have the disposition for it. It was hard enough in little league and youth football to try and keep my mouth shut, but at least it didn't affect my family much. I know I'm aging myself but, the coaches in my day were some mean son of a guns but we respected them. No telling what we all had back then when we weren't ran off to the emergency room. I know I definitely ran a few sprints with shin splits in my day and it hurt like hell. Welcome back to mediocrity HF.

19 hours ago, wackpack said:

Could lance dale end up at HF ? I think so.  I talked to coach Harris many of times and he's a great man. I'm staying out of all the other mess.  

I was told that he has family on the school board which would prevent him from being hired. He would be good, but he is doing great things in Deweyville.

19 hours ago, wackpack said:

Could lance dale end up at HF ? I think so.  I talked to coach Harris many of times and he's a great man. I'm staying out of all the other mess.  

I was told that he has family on the school board which would prevent him from being hired. He would be good, but he is doing great things in Deweyville.

4 minutes ago, Scatright said:

His family will gladly resign from the board to bring him to HF. It happens all of the time..

I do not know if this is true or not, but that is between the 2 family members I guess?

9 minutes ago, jenks said:

I do not know if this is true or not, but that is between the 2 family members I guess?

16 minutes ago, Scatright said:

His family will gladly resign from the board to bring him to HF. It happens all of the time..

I just looked up the law. It says not only does the school board member has to resign, but the new school board member that is replacing the exiting board member must be sworn in before the employee is hired. Very interesting info.   Not sure what the rules are at HF for replacing board members, but if they have to wait until the next election to replace a board member then I seriously doubt this is done all the time. I do not think any district wants to wait until an election to hire there AD and Football Coach.  I do like this rule, it keeps monkey business out, and hiring process fair.   Here is a link to the law: