Silsbee at WOS

BADSANTA

It is not so much about putting in the hours shooting, it is putting in the hours shooting and practicing fundamentally and technically sound basketball. I'm no expert.  I've watched this for awhile though.  Young ball players need a shooting coach, or a mentor at an early age, that can show them the proper way to play, to shoot a basketball.  Steph Curry & his brother Seth had their dad Dell Curry to show them.  Pete Maravich had his dad Press Maravich, who was a D-! coach to show him.  

3 hours ago, Kountzer said:

It is not so much about putting in the hours shooting, it is putting in the hours shooting and practicing fundamentally and technically sound basketball. I'm no expert.  I've watched this for awhile though.  Young ball players need a shooting coach, or a mentor at an early age, that can show them the proper way to play, to shoot a basketball.  Steph Curry & his brother Seth had their dad Dell Curry to show them.  Pete Maravich had his dad Press Maravich, who was a D-! coach to show him.  

This is a great point. There are certain fundamental techniques in the 3 ball that are being overlooked. I see many kids who shoot 20-30% behind the arc that are pushing, aiming, getting up in the air too much, falling back, not putting hand in basket, using too much non shooting hand, weak wrist and excessive head/body movement during shot. The pistol used to talk about the center of the body, the core being at rest, so the mechanics will be steady every time resulting in higher make percentage. Reggie was one of the best at following thru and putting that hand in the basket every time. Yes, genetics plays a role, but these kids that want to jack up 10/gm because they make 3/gm are being selfish. Find the open man, move the ball or attack the basket.....It really is becoming a lost art in our HS game.

4 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Once read where Pete had an imaginary friend that he watched shooting. The guy had perfect form and never missed.