So, "About What Happened Last Night"

AggiesAreWe

Crosby stepped on the field last night with a 6A football team that was bigger, stronger, faster and executed a lot better from start to finish. They looked like they knew every play Crosby was going to run and Crosby looked lost on every play they ran besides the handoff up the middle. 

Crosby wasn't that good. If you take into consideration that Crosby is 31-0  the last three years against all the SETX team that will be 5A next year, it really show the poor state of play in the entire area. 

There was reason to believe the gap had closed after last year when the FB district's D2 teams couldn't advance past the first round. Turns out it was just a fluke year for them that Crosby probably benefited from. 

As far as the small schools still alive from the area, they get a more even shake with the enrollment splits. RP had about 700 more kids than Crosby last night, 4A doesn't have that variation in their entire class and still have two divisions. Not to mention you have less than half they  schools in the class but still take the same amount of playoff teams which severely waters down the competition until you get deep in the playoffs. 

At the end of the day even Crosby all their D1 recruits are no match for the teams out west at the 5A level. Last nigh made three consecutive 28 point playoff losses for Crosby. Even with this staff off to a 42-9 start you saw last night pretty much what Crosby is and what we have been for the last decade or so. 

I watched the game online on Saturday, and I gotta say that what I saw was a Crosby team that physically looked far superior to RP.  I also remember our game with y'all last year and we were completely outmanned, especially defensively.  I saw big offensive and defensive linemen, big athletic linebackers, and big tall imposing wideouts.  I think that Crosby had a huge talent edge, and enrollment numbers didn't really apply in this particular situation.  Yes, enrollment numbers play a part in a lot of instances, BUT I also know that there are a lot of big 5A and 6A schools that cannot hold a candle to a lot of programs with mid level enrollment figures.  It's VERY hard to be on top, and I'm gonna use a couple of Brenham teams as examples.  In 2009, we surprised everyone and made a run all the way to the championship game, and gave Aledo all they could handle.  That team was made up mainly of sophomores and juniors.  In 2010 we went into the season ranked #2, rolled through the regular season unscathed, and got beat by Kingwood Park, a game where we turned the ball over six times.  In 2011, we were loaded AGAIN, ranked #2 and got beat in the second round by Beaumont Ozen in a game that seemed like we were playing with lead feet.  Both of those teams were loaded with Division 1 talent.  I feel like complacency, lack of focus and arrogance played a huge part in those losses.  My point is that talent definitely plays a part in a programs success, but coaching, preparation and focus is what truly makes a difference.  I would be willing to bet that Crosby has been a victim of some of the distractions that I have just touched on.  Distractions to a teenager if not handled correctly are a dagger to the heart of the team concept.  I know for a fact that Crosby was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.  They just got lost in themselves against a dangerous team at the wrong time of year.  Plain and simple...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And folks from Crosby wonder why they have been on the business end of so many negative posts since Saturday night! smh

Netherly is probably going to go to state in the 200 this year, Williams might go with him. 

Next year Mannie will probably be the quarterback, Williams will be one back and we should have back a healthy Grace to be the other. Trey Edwards, Jordan Hill, Teryl Wiley and Gray-Brooks will be the receivers. It'll probably be the most exciting thing people from Crosby have seen on the field since the '13 Twin team. Netherly would be the the biggest threat Riordan has had under center since Sulphur Springs won state with Rollison. 

Crosby would be in a district with 8 or 9 of these 10 teams. New Caney, Porter, Splendora, KP, Humble, Lee, Galena Park, Crosby, Dayton or Barbers Hill. Keep in mind King and SC are 6A now, other than that Crosby hasn't lost a regular season game in three years.

Depending on who's on the schedule in non-district Crosby will probably be favored in every game the same way they were the last couple of years. With Crosby's coaching staff and the talent they have compared to the rest of the area it's not hard for them to win games in SETX, I think that's kind of evident from only the two regular season losses the last three years. 

What's also evident is that Crosby didn't get a trophy for the regular season. Maybe the 10-0 comment was taken out of context, it was just meant to highlight the importance of the post-season to be the judge of Crosby's season vs piling up wins against SETX teams or winning a district championship. 

Netherly is probably going to go to state in the 200 this year, Williams might go with him. 

Next year Mannie will probably be the quarterback, Williams will be one back and we should have back a healthy Grace to be the other. Trey Edwards, Jordan Hill, Teryl Wiley and Gray-Brooks will be the receivers. It'll probably be the most exciting thing people from Crosby have seen on the field since the '13 Twin team. Netherly would be the the biggest threat Riordan has had under center since Sulphur Springs won state with Rollison. 

Crosby would be in a district with 8 or 9 of these 10 teams. New Caney, Porter, Splendora, KP, Humble, Lee, Galena Park, Crosby, Dayton or Barbers Hill. Keep in mind King and SC are 6A now, other than that Crosby hasn't lost a regular season game in three years.

Depending on who's on the schedule in non-district Crosby will probably be favored in every game the same way they were the last couple of years. With Crosby's coaching staff and the talent they have compared to the rest of the area it's not hard for them to win games in SETX, I think that's kind of evident from only the two regular season losses the last three years. 

What's also evident is that Crosby didn't get a trophy for the regular season. Maybe the 10-0 comment was taken out of context, it was just meant to highlight the importance of the post-season to be the judge of Crosby's season vs piling up wins against SETX teams or winning a district championship. 

It would probably do Crosby (the team) good if they could schedule a legitimate, top end 5A or 6A team in pre district then to challenge them. That way when your really challenged when it matters, like in the later rounds of the playoffs, the team has faced it before and will know how to handle it. 

It would probably do Crosby (the team) good if they could schedule a legitimate, top end 5A or 6A team in pre district then to challenge them. That way when your really challenged when it matters, like in the later rounds of the playoffs, the team has faced it before and will know how to handle it. 

And stop scrimmaging Huffman bmtsoulja? 

Let me ask this question. If I am a coach, and this Mannie kid is the best thing since sliced bread at QB, why did he not play the position this year? I will also say you always throw in the SETX jab, which is fine by me. But other than your 1 run a year ago, on the big stage, Crosby still has not proved nothing. I read the post from 87 Cub and it makes sense.. But Ill throw this out, one of those teams beat a PN-G team, 11-0 ranked #4 at the time, on its way to a SC appearance.. The point is noone cares that PNG was 11-0 and #4 and lost in the 2nd round. So the importance of this post is saying, you can jab all you want but at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are.. A 2nd round playoff team... I agree that Crosby was the best team in the Houston area, or SETX if you want to say that.. But they have proved nothing in the post season, other than last years run. I will admit sometimes, I even get caught up in all your hype of how good Crosby is, but I am beginning to think you might have some blinders on. I'm sure you will throw out some kind of stat about how Crosby is the most dominant program in the last 10 years, but I begin to question if its true dominance or mediocrity like the rest of us SETX teams. No sense in throwing up SETX in the past 10 because we all know what we are... I'm just not quite sure you know the difference between below average, average, and above average, and true contenders. I hate to say it, but Crosby kinda reminds me of a Nederland.. Runs through the district, makes it to the playoffs, makes a run every once in a while, and it gets mistaken for dominance. So if you would just for my interest. Nederland being the best in our district, and Crosby being the best in yours, give me a 10 year comparison on district wins, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and deepest round. My curiosity is getting the best of me on this one.. No head to head or district vs district because I am conceding your district and teams are better... Just give me those numbers.... So once again during Crosbys last 10 years of dominance, number comparison between Nederland and Crosby... District wins, district championships, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and deepest round... This should give everyone on this site the information needed to judge how much better your district is...

Edited by Stattrax

It's a lot different when you come in to a season unranked with a chip on your shoulder.  Everything lines up, good leadership, health, team chemistry, match ups, etc.  This year came with high expectations and a high ranking.  The target was firmly planted and week in and week out, they got everyone's best shot.  Losing Grace really hurt, injuries to key lineman throughout, and the match up obviously wasn't a good one in the second round.  Hopefully, no high ranking next year, chip or edge returns and they stay healthy.  As far as the schedule is concerned, you're gonna be surprised if they get the first game scheduled they're trying to and if they keep Angleton, they're going to be really good.  I wish they were healthy this year in week 2.  Could've exposed some things that could've been shored up.  Scheduling Huffman and Willis in a scrimmage had zero bearing on this year!  

How do you regroup from this?  I've said early in the season that this was state or bust for Code Red.  So I assume it was bust. Not throwing jabs, but I'm very  interested in how the young guns coming back responds to the big task of redemption....

I imagine it was state or bust for a few fans, the team was not focused on that I am sure..

Here we go, Crosby fans can't take the heat so they are going to lash out at everyone. Guys, there's a reason why everyone is taking jabs at ya'll. Do you not realize that ya'll picked a fight with almost every team on this site during the football season. Ya'll literally put every school down on here and was serious about it. Most posters on here have been around since 2008 and poke fun with each other, but Crosby took it to a different level. Everyone is just dishing it back to ya'll. I forsee this thread getting locked. LOL

Quote still jacked up, Soulja, there is still a lot of talent there.  The kids that'll be back I'm pretty sure didn't like that feeling this past Saturday.  They'll continue to work, hopefully stay healthy, and be back next year.  Just keep grinding, that's all you can do.

Quote still jacked up, Soulja, there is still a lot of talent there.  The kids that'll be back I'm pretty sure didn't like that feeling this past Saturday.  They'll continue to work, hopefully stay healthy, and be back next year.  Just keep grinding, that's all you can do.

Alright, I've finally cleared up the quote that kept coming up for the tradinup person.  That joker came up every time I was trying to post. Stattrax, when you look at the body of work the past few years, even though there are some second round losses.  The program has improved, the kids are stronger, the stadium upgrade, the community support has probably tripled or quadrupled, and more kids are going to College.  So in my eyes, it's headed in the right direction.

Good.  Hopefully, they will be good.  Maybe they can meet Ozen or Central in the playoffs next year..  

Crosby played Angleton, who's in the third round for the second straight year and has that 2k type enrollment, and Nederland who is the best the GT had to offer. Rarely will a good 6A program drop down and play a 5A unless it's a rivalry game of some sort. You have to play the people that are willing to play you.  It's a lot easier than it sounds, especially with only two non-district games.

Crosby played Angleton, who's in the third round for the second straight year and has that 2k type enrollment, and Nederland who is the best the GT had to offer. Rarely will a good 6A program drop down and play a 5A unless it's a rivalry game of some sort. You have to play the people that are willing to play you.  It's a lot easier than it sounds, especially with only two non-district games.

I guess Dayton is a minority then. They play Channelview in pre district. Im pretty sure there is no rivalry there. They used to play Fort Bend. Not sure what happened to that scheduling. No rivalry there either. 

Thats true. It would be nice to see schools like Crosby, and others, that are good teams and travel well match up with some of the better DFW or CENTEX schools in the first or second week at a large neutral site. For one it would give each school some good competition before district starts and would be for some good high school ball to watch early in the year. If it could be played on a Saturday where folks from other schools that like to watch good games could attend. Something like a home and home neutral site. NRG and ATT maybe

Let me ask this question. If I am a coach, and this Mannie kid is the best thing since sliced bread at QB, why did he not play the position this year? I will also say you always throw in the SETX jab, which is fine by me. But other than your 1 run a year ago, on the big stage, Crosby still has not proved nothing. I read the post from 87 Cub and it makes sense.. But Ill throw this out, one of those teams beat a PN-G team, 11-0 ranked #4 at the time, on its way to a SC appearance.. The point is noone cares that PNG was 11-0 and #4 and lost in the 2nd round. So the importance of this post is saying, you can jab all you want but at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are.. A 2nd round playoff team... I agree that Crosby was the best team in the Houston area, or SETX if you want to say that.. But they have proved nothing in the post season, other than last years run. I will admit sometimes, I even get caught up in all your hype of how good Crosby is, but I am beginning to think you might have some blinders on. I'm sure you will throw out some kind of stat about how Crosby is the most dominant program in the last 10 years, but I begin to question if its true dominance or mediocrity like the rest of us SETX teams. No sense in throwing up SETX in the past 10 because we all know what we are... I'm just not quite sure you know the difference between below average, average, and above average, and true contenders. I hate to say it, but Crosby kinda reminds me of a Nederland.. Runs through the district, makes it to the playoffs, makes a run every once in a while, and it gets mistaken for dominance. So if you would just for my interest. Nederland being the best in our district, and Crosby being the best in yours, give me a 10 year comparison on district wins, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and deepest round. My curiosity is getting the best of me on this one.. No head to head or district vs district because I am conceding your district and teams are better... Just give me those numbers.... So once again during Crosbys last 10 years of dominance, number comparison between Nederland and Crosby... District wins, district championships, playoff appearances, playoff wins, and deepest round... This should give everyone on this site the information needed to judge how much better your district is...

????? You just repeated everything I just said????? I said Crosby is good enough to pile up W's in SETX, that's clear from their 31-0 record the last three years against team from the area with SC and King being 6A now. They're nowhere near state title caliber. It's clear the entire area plays a mediocre level of football in the 5A class, Crosby just happens to be the best of that bunch which isn't good enough even get past the second round against the better Houston area teams. Nederland is also the perfect example of how they can run through the GT but not do much else.

Mannie is one of the better wr's in the country in his class so that's where its was best felt he would help the '15 team which is why he didn't play qb. Next year he will probably be our best qb option, Cotton went 24-3 as a starter and was the best option this year.

*Nederland 75-41 overall, 53-17 in district play, 8-8 in playoffs and reached quarters in '12. Crosby is 84-34 overall, 61-13 in district play, 11-10 in the playoffs and reached the semis in '14. 

I guess Dayton is a minority then. They play Channelview in pre district. Im pretty sure there is no rivalry there. They used to play Fort Bend. Not sure what happened to that scheduling. No rivalry there either. 

Channelview isn't really considered a good 6A program in Houston, I believe this was the first time they'd been to the playoffs in nearly 20 years. They drop down and play 5A's so their record won't look as bad as it usually does. Elkins is a big 5A now, I think Dayton did play them when they were a smaller 6A though. I think they only had one good year in 6A though. 

You need to recheck your stats .142. Nederland was 13-2 in 2012 which would put them in the semis per Maxpreps. I thought they lost to Georgetown that year but I know they went to the semis in the last 10 years.

ned lost in the region final, went to the state semis in 2001, 14yrs ago.