Top Nederland Player-Leaves!!

Huh? So with Jalen,  Nederland was gonna be at Ozen twice in district? 

It was a definite possibility. The games will be a lot different when Ozen presses now because as much as people hate it you always need a kid that can dribble through a press. Ballou was the only kid on the team who could handle pressure good comsitnely. He was very smart with his movements. I could see the two games going either way now though. 

Nederland is tough to press because they play smart. They spread the floor and make good decisions. And I don't think Ozen can press Miguez in the open floor. I saw him shred defenses with better talent all summer. Pressing him plays to his strength. Just an observation

The best way to beat a press is with spacing and passing, not a whole lot of dribbling needed. If English could get his team to the 3rd round in the playoffs with Kirby Hanley(sp) as point guard, he can find someone in this group to do the same.   

Kirby was an underrated guard for English.  Let's not forget that he was an all-district player his senior year. 

It was a definite possibility. The games will be a lot different when Ozen presses now because as much as people hate it you always need a kid that can dribble through a press. Ballou was the only kid on the team who could handle pressure good comsitnely. He was very smart with his movements. I could see the two games going either way now though. 

I agree,  you always need that kid who can dribble outta a press.  Opens up so many Oops for scoring in transition. 

Losing Ballou hurts bad....I think worse than many of you are predicting.  Easily the best defender on the team and really the only penetrator.  Personally, I think Nelson has the highest ceiling out of those options at the 1, but probably the biggest wildcard as well.  I like Miguez and the big boy, but Jaylan Ballou does a lot for them. 

I still use the example when Ozen played Yates two years ago when Yates was at their prime and killing people with their press. Yates is one of the best teams I've ever seen besides Wheatley who could press.  Ozen tried to pass side to side over those 6'7" players. It was tough and Yates was stealing passes.  I had already told one of the guards how to break their press.  Very simple technique that still works today. 

You are correct. He plays the 3 but could get moved to the 1 or Hebert to the 1 and Ary stay the 3.  You also have Darryl Jones who can play the 3 as Ary runs the 1. There's a bunch of different combinations, I'm curious to see what English does.  

Well, at least Nederland will have a good excuse when they lose to the Panthers. :)

Losing Ballou hurts bad....I think worse than many of you are predicting.  Easily the best defender on the team and really the only penetrator.  Personally, I think Nelson has the highest ceiling out of those options at the 1, but probably the biggest wildcard as well.  I like Miguez and the big boy, but Jaylan Ballou does a lot for them. 

I don't think it will hurt as bad as outsiders believe. This team played 80% of their spring and summer games without him. He was injured for most of the spring, and he played on his AAU team during the summer.

Remember, his mother got a new job. I'm hearing his new school have a terrible basketball team, so it sure doesn't sound like "athletic purposes."

There is always a story to what happened, and then there is the truth. Dad still lives here and so do grandparents. Mom is self employed, so she can work from anywhere. so...you can draw whatever conclusion you want. Someone gave him some bad advice if he thinks he's going out there to get a scholly. 

There is always a story to what happened, and then there is the truth. Dad still lives here and so do grandparents. Mom is self employed, so she can work from anywhere. so...you can draw whatever conclusion you want. Someone gave him some bad advice if he thinks he's going out there to get a scholly. 

And from what I hear, he actually took a trip to the new school over the summer to work out with the team.