Huffman Hargrave 50 Silsbee 47/Final

WOSgrad

Huffman is very well coached and they played their tails off. Great win for them. Both Silsbee and Huffman have great offenses and very bad defenses. I don't think neither will advance far in the playoffs unless the get better on defense quick. Silsbee may need a new coach on defense. Bad scheme tonight 

i heard silsbee got a 15 yard penalty and gave the falcons the first down and that led to the clock running out. What happened badsanta?

yes the Tigers got an unsportsmanlike penalty to end any doubt about running no the clock out but there was only 40.7 seconds left and Huffman had a 3rd and long Tigers had no timeouts left so clock would have run out after that third down play.

First off hats off to the Falcons, they came in and did what hardly anyone gave them much chance to do.  I was one that thought this was the Tigers year. They came in and executed very well.  

I do believe the Tigers may have come out a little caught up in the homecoming atmosphere. Three plays on that first drive that should have been scores one called back, a dropped pass , and another that was knocked out or stepped out of bounds.  The Tigers definitely had the speed advantage but Huffman made up for it with their execution.  They exposed our defense running the ball early and then repeatedly throwing the little slants or flares to the back coming out of the backfield.  We never adjusted to it,  they could go to it anytime they wanted.  The Tigers finally found some offensive spark late and never gave up. I am proud of that.

i don't know if I would call Huffmans defense bad but they definitely didn't have the speed to cover our receivers on the deep ball.   The tigers need to tighten up on defense.  I was wondering how good our secondary was,  well tonight it was exposed.  It was said earlier in the year that we played to far off receivers and  tonight as many of those short passes worked it definitely looks like that's the case.  

Lets keep playing hard and get back on a roll.  Take this next week and fix some problems and try to run the table leading into the playoffs. 

Before I post the stats, just something to think about

97 Total Points

1,125 Total Yards

11 Passing TD

733 Passing Yards

Just a few quick stats;

1    2     3     4     T

Huffman    7   17   12   14   50

Silsbee     6    6     14   21   47

Tigers                                                 Falcons

Total Yards

558                                                      567

Passing

D. Thomas       16-25-351-5-0           C. Gaitain     26-40-382-6-1

Rushing      

D. Thomas       13-159  2TD             C. Marraquin  38-166   TD

A. Thomas         9-45                        C. Gaitan         7-19

D. Armstrong     2-3                          C. McMahan    1-0

Receiving

K. Mackey        7-139  3TD              L. Shively         6-109  2TD

T. Lowe           4-120     TD              N. Thomas       6-67   TD

K. Barnes        3-77       TD              D. Lorfing        5-50   TD

K. Coffee         1-9                           C. Cutter          4-36

A. Thomas      1-6                            T. Lundy          3-100  2TD

A. Fry             2-20

Sil                                Huff

First Downs                             17                                 26

Rushing/Pass/Pen                8/9/0                             9/17/0

Rushing Yards                       207                               184

Rushing TD                            2                                    1

Passing Yard                        351                               382

Comp/Att/INT                     16/25/0                         26/40/1

Passing TD                              5                                   6

Turnover                                  0                                   2

Fumble                                     0                                   1

INT                                          0                                     1

Penalties                             5-49                                 5-40

Punts                                  4-29.8                              4-28.8

Inside 20                                 1                                     2

Third Down                          2/8                                  11-18

Fourth Down                       1/3                                    2/2

TOP                                   14:23                               33:37

Edited by STiger85

Dang ya'll pretty much said it all while I was driving back home to pick up my smelly kid. Things got pretty physical out there in the trenches so he'll sleep well, at least until he has to get up in a few hours and take the SAT. Falcons team execution was on point tonight, only a few times did we get caught out of position and gave up a busted play or long yardage. Crazy stretch there in the end of the third/early fourth where we get a tipped ball intercepted then a some quick strikes. First one was just flat out , that guy was faster than us and think the second was two guys going for an INT when they both or heck at least one should have gone for the tackle. Still would have been a big play but not back to back TDs.

Falcon offense started to look like itself tonight, seemed to get all the WRs in the action and of course our run game did what we needed.

So Huffman ran 86 plays? Silsbee 49?

Wow.  

Yep. Seems to be a trend.

Tiger defense just couldn't get Huffman off the field on 3rd down. Huffman faced several 3rd and long situations last night, but to their credit, converted on most of them. 11 of 18 3rd down and 2 for 2 4th down plus getting the two extra possessions on the onside kicks.

Special teams won this game for Huffman. Kickoff coverage was excellent, getting the two on-sides and pinning the Tigers back with pooch kicks, had Silsbee guessing all night. Falcons kick off return team also did great, getting returns every time past 35. Silsbee also failed on 3 two point conversions.

Credit to Huffman coaching staff. They had their team well prepared and had a great game plan to win this game. Kudos to you guys.

Edited by AggiesAreWe

Yep. Seems to be a trend.

Tiger defense just couldn't get Huffman off the field on 3rd down. Huffman faced several 3rd and long situations last night, but to their credit, converted on most of them. 11 of 18 3rd down and 2 for 2 4th down plus getting the two extra possessions on the onside kicks.

Special teams won this game for Huffman. Kickoff coverage was excellent, getting the two on-sides and pinning the Tigers back with pooch kicks, had Silsbee guessing all night. Falcons kick off return team also did great, getting returns every time past 35. Silsbee also failed on 3 two point conversions.

Credit to Huffman coaching staff. They had their team well prepared and had a great game plan to win this game. Kudos to you guys.

The Tigers return men need to stop trying to get to the edge so much and go up field.  Find a crease and hit it use that speed to get through the holes. We do need better coverage as well although the way we "stopped" their offense, I don't know if it really mattered.

I don't know what the problem is on defense overall.  I think we are at times looking for the big play instead of a good play.  We need to be able to get some pressure on the quarterback to help out the secondary.  And we definitely need to spend less time on defense.

It's about technique and scheme. What I saw was a lack of both. I agree they look for the big play vs a good play. How do you only return a kick off to the 2 yard line? Silsbee has struggled on special teams all year and the run defense is horrible. What has to happen is maybe change up the scheme a little and get back to the basics of tackling. The offense, even scoring 47pts looked bad last night. Several drop passes, penalties, and a lack f effort at times. I heard a lot from the people in the community about how good this team was but they still need a lot more work. They shouldn't have a problem with Splendora or Cleveland but I would see them in another shoot out with Bridge City. If you can't play defense you won't win in the playoffs. Don't re Thomas and Kyle Mackey maybe the best QB and WR combo in SETX.