West Orange-Stark 28 Port Neches-Groves 14/Final

WOSgrad

We were keeping count of penalties from the stands. It's always an interesting mathematical equation anytime we play at the Reservation. Two years ago WO-S had 17 and PNG 8. Last night, if my count was correct, WO-S had 14 and PNG 8. I may have missed one or two that were declined and did not factor into the final number, but WO-S definitely had more yellow flags than the Indians. The PA News writer obviously got it wrong. TD said 12 (WO-S) to 7 (PNG). That's more believable. I disagree on the two block in the backs called against WO-S on the opening kickoff and the punt return in the 4th quarter. One the first one, the blocker never touched the defender and even threw up his hands to show he did not touch the guy. Also, on the punt return, that was a clean and legal block. No flag should have been thrown. Overall, the officiating was better in this game than the last two WO-S/PNG games, even though WO-S was stung more times than PNG...again. The PNG O-line did not get called a single time for holding. When you have fast guys coming at the bigger, slower guys on an offensive line, they have to hold to keep them away from the QB. It happened plenty last night, but no calls were made. 

After having played PNG, LCM, Vidor, and Nederland...PNG was the best opponent of the four (even though our scrimmage with Vidor was for only one half). PNG has to be one of the top two teams in their district and it would surprise me if they finished lower than second. Their defense was not soft. A little slow, yes, but it is the best one they have fielded in the last four years WO-S has played them.  

The cramping up by PNG players in the second half is definitely a conditioning issue. PNG did not have to do nearly the amount of running all over the field last week like they did last night. No team in setx has a more demanding off season and practice regimen than WO-S. This is why WO-S can play so many kids both ways and still be fresh in the 4th quarter. If you want to look at JUST ONE of the reasons WO-S is so dang good year in and year out, you can look right there. Die hard WO-S fans remember what it was like when Cornel Thompson left for three years. The drop off on defense, conditioning, and overall player conduct started to show immediately. CT was the off season training director for Coach Hooks all those years, and he continues in that role today. Even with the small enrollment numbers WO-S has, there are plenty of good football players walking the halls at the school. The reason many of them (but not all) don't play football is because they cannot keep up with the demands of practice and workouts required. At WO-S, if a new kid wants to try out for the team, they don't just give him an audition. The coaches tell him, "See if you can keep up with us at practice." When Cornel Thompson left to coach at Huntsville and Palestine, they (parents of players) did not like his ways of practice and workouts, therefore, he was made unwelcome and left. If parents are willing to allow the coaches to make them tough as marines, like Cornel has always done, then more teams would be successful on the field. This post is not meant to be a knock on PNG. As a long time follower of setx high school football, I have high respect for PNG football, history, tradition, and community support. But since some of the PNG fans here have brought up the subject of toughness and conditioning, I thought an explanation of the WO-S formula was merited. One of the PNG posters said earlier that WO-S plays physically "nasty"...which has truth to it. The hardest hits and tackles made last night were by WO-S. Faircloth just coaches more along a finesse style, which works for their players and skill sets. WO-S is based more on use of speed and physical play. 

The game last night was competitive and not sealed up until late in the 4th quarter. Both teams benefitted from playing this game and will be better because of it. Many of you PNG posters have shown much respect for WO-S. It is appreciated by WO-S fans. Let me return the favor and say that we are relieved to get out of the Reservation with a win. WO-S fans have much respect for your program and Coach Faircloth. Best wishes to your run at a thing

The funny thing about this area and complaining about the referees is that nobody has home officials. Unless the coaches request an out of town crew, they all come from the Beaumont Chapter. These men are from throughout the community, they work in the refineries or local business offices. They could consist of 5/6 guys from different towns. Its easy as a fan to think your team is getting cheated. Do they miss calls, of course, its part of the game, and they are going to try to keep it fair but they will make mistakes. The PNG/WOS game was a good game, with the better team winning and the officials did not play an outcome in the game.

PN-G had more penalties than West Orange-Stark. Plenty in the second half. Mustangs had a couple of facemask penalties in the first half. They were legit, one helmet was pulled off an Indian player. The PA News stats are correct from looking back at video.

Can you send me a copy of that video, also did that video have a PNG winning.

The funny thing about this area and complaining about the referees is that nobody has home officials. Unless the coaches request an out of town crew, they all come from the Beaumont Chapter. These men are from throughout the community, they work in the refineries or local business offices. They could consist of 5/6 guys from different towns. Its easy as a fan to think your team is getting cheated. Do they miss calls, of course, its part of the game, and they are going to try to keep it fair but they will make mistakes. The PNG/WOS game was a good game, with the better team winning and the officials did not play an outcome in the game.

last I heard they shut down the Beaumont chapter

last I heard they shut down the Beaumont chapter

I don't think so but if they did regardless its still the same result. Men from a chapter come together from different communities to officiate the games. Its not like oh this crew is from  PNG, Nederland, PA etc.....All I was saying, is that whole business about home officials and your team getting cheated because your the away team is just ridiculous. That same crew good be doing  your game a couple of weeks later when your at home.

You have to really, really love HS football or have a lust for abuse to become a HS official. LOL! With some of the ways fans (I have been guilty also) and coaches get after those guys its amazing we have enough to even cover all our games. Its not the money either. They dont make but a 100 bucks or so correct?? Sometimes we should realize these guys are basically volunteering to help our kids out just as we do from the stands etc. Cant let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

You have to really, really love HS football or have a lust for abuse to become a HS official. LOL! With some of the ways fans (I have been guilty also) and coaches get after those guys its amazing we have enough to even cover all our games. Its not the money either. They dont make but a 100 bucks or so correct?? Sometimes we should realize these guys are basically volunteering to help our kids out just as we do from the stands etc. Cant let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

Yeah.Sometimes we think they make calls on purpose and we know that's not the case.They make the call or no call on what they think they saw.They get a lot more right than wrong.Now I can't wait for Friday to holler at them when they screw up.lol