West Orange-Stark 28 Port Neches-Groves 14/Final

WOSgrad

That's too bad cause I hear the ones they give out east of the Trinity are real exemplary. Hence all the Forbes 500 businesses flocking to the triangle to setup shop. We can hypothetically match Crosby v West Orange    ( always wondered the West distinction since it's such a metropolis) all day long but the reality is Coach T is very cunning at football and knows how to schedule preseason games so Crosby won't be on his list. 

sure is funny how you Crosby fans talk bad about WOS knowing you won't have to play us. I guarantee you if the little Cougars were on our schedule it would be crickets in this forum. See, maybe you haven't noticed but the real teams don't talk. We just show it on the score board. Kind of like the guy that's always bragging about getting girls and what not is the one that never gets any. Lol!!

As my post last night said,in a nice way..... WOS runs a better program period..... It appeared we where out of shape, and we all know defensively we are soft... Some things don't change. It might be that expectations are to high. I've stated, and been bashed, several times that a DC is what we should be striving for. District is going to be tough. The style of play makes it that way. Finnesse football is great if you want to toot your horn on the front page of the football program... But it doesn't add up to wins... I think it pains most of us just because we played solid defense for the eternity of PNG football.  In comes this guy, and we flip it to offense... That's why they call it a system... Andre Ware, remember him... Video game numbers.... I think we still have a shot at winning the DC.... as usual the district appears to be weak.. No,defense is being played, and numbers are video gameish... We don't have a DJ Shex, and the practices will sadly stay the same........ But I think sometimes you have to be realistic, and that is winning enough games  to contend for a DC, and making the playoffs.... The rah rah section is currently closed after last night, so let's get real and try to get better and win a few....... Hats off to WOS....... Your better, and usually are....... Let's learn something out of it............

Stat that is about as honest and real of a post I've read from a PNG poster in a very long time...appreciate the honesty...

PNG had more guys cramping up than what was on WOS bench. I would have expected it to be the other way around with WOS guys going both ways. The old school coaches over at WOS still condition like the old days. A few years back we practiced softball across the street from WOS practice and you could hear the collisions going on throughout their practice. Im not so sure instead of sending our coaches to these colleges to see what their doing is the right thing to do. Try going watch a WOS practice and you will learn how to hit. No disrespect towards PNG coaching staff but they do not line their guys up in practice and get after it. Its ran like a college practice. That's where (practice) you learn how to be physical! A PNG practice is nice to see with how organized it is but nothing physical about it. At the end not a whole lot of running either. Just my take. Get these guys in shape!

Conditioing is a WAY OF LIFE at WOS. If you're  not well condition you can't play football for WOS.  An your right practice is physical @ WOS. It's where you separate the boys from men!  Like the old saying? If It ain't broke.  don't fix it.........

Edited by Kj Dad

Has anyone watched film or the replay on the game. I'm curious to know if the block in the back on KJ's long punt return was legit. Man it gave some of us in the stands déjà vu from the penalty on DT return in the State Champ game. From our side, it was a text book block. It seems now a days refs see a hard hit in a return and automatically think it has to be illegal. It could have been a good penalty but from what I saw, it wasn't. No griping from me just really want to know.

Burn that replay tape. .lol 

Reading Crosby s game thread,  with all the calls, I think we got a decent crew last night, even though we racked up more penalties than WOS. I hate those games, flags thrown every play. It makes for a long night.

Yeah, had some head scratchers for both teams. Both of us have to stop the silly false start penalties.

sure is funny how you Crosby fans talk bad about WOS knowing you won't have to play us. I guarantee you if the little Cougars were on our schedule it would be crickets in this forum. See, maybe you haven't noticed but the real teams don't talk. We just show it on the score board. Kind of like the guy that's always bragging about getting girls and what not is the one that never gets any. Lol!!

Sounds like ur experienced in that category; I for one am not. 

Has anyone watched film or the replay on the game. I'm curious to know if the block in the back on KJ's long punt return was legit. Man it gave some of us in the stands déjà vu from the penalty on DT return in the State Champ game. From our side, it was a text book block. It seems now a days refs see a hard hit in a return and automatically think it has to be illegal. It could have been a good penalty but from what I saw, it wasn't. No griping from me just really want to know.

I was at the game and saw both block in the backs on that one punt return. They were both legit calls. The phantom offsides call on PNG after they recovered a fumble at the 40 was sketchy. Never saw a flag thrown and looked like it didn't come about until It was determined PNG had recovered.

I will say this, there was a guy sitting a few rows down from me, and all game long all he did was criticize everything WOS did.  I mean we all do the armchair QB/Coach thing at times, but this guy was really way overboard.  I won't say which player he was associated with.  I don't know if it was his dad, uncle or what.  If WOS ran inside he complained they should have run outside, if they ran outside he complained why aren't they running up the middle.  If they passed he complained and said they should be running the ball. When they ran he complained they should be passing....same when WOS was on defense.  They should do this, they should do that......

really got old fast.  WO-S has a great staff and always had.  Lots of experience on that staff.  I'm sure they know better than him, me and most everyone else in the stands what they need to do.  That is why this individual is sitting in the stands and not on the sidelines. 

Burn that replay tape. .lol 

Reading Crosby s game thread,  with all the calls, I think we got a decent crew last night, even though we racked up more penalties than WOS. I hate those games, flags thrown every play. It makes for a long night.

stats say WOS had 12 penalties and PNG had 7!

i go watch that game for sure

We were keeping count of penalties from the stands. It's always an interesting mathematical equation anytime we play at the Reservation. Two years ago WO-S had 17 and PNG 8. Last night, if my count was correct, WO-S had 14 and PNG 8. I may have missed one or two that were declined and did not factor into the final number, but WO-S definitely had more yellow flags than the Indians. The PA News writer obviously got it wrong. TD said 12 (WO-S) to 7 (PNG). That's more believable. I disagree on the two block in the backs called against WO-S on the opening kickoff and the punt return in the 4th quarter. One the first one, the blocker never touched the defender and even threw up his hands to show he did not touch the guy. Also, on the punt return, that was a clean and legal block. No flag should have been thrown. Overall, the officiating was better in this game than the last two WO-S/PNG games, even though WO-S was stung more times than PNG...again. The PNG O-line did not get called a single time for holding. When you have fast guys coming at the bigger, slower guys on an offensive line, they have to hold to keep them away from the QB. It happened plenty last night, but no calls were made. 

After having played PNG, LCM, Vidor, and Nederland...PNG was the best opponent of the four (even though our scrimmage with Vidor was for only one half). PNG has to be one of the top two teams in their district and it would surprise me if they finished lower than second. Their defense was not soft. A little slow, yes, but it is the best one they have fielded in the last four years WO-S has played them.  

The cramping up by PNG players in the second half is definitely a conditioning issue. PNG did not have to do nearly the amount of running all over the field last week like they did last night. No team in setx has a more demanding off season and practice regimen than WO-S. This is why WO-S can play so many kids both ways and still be fresh in the 4th quarter. If you want to look at JUST ONE of the reasons WO-S is so dang good year in and year out, you can look right there. Die hard WO-S fans remember what it was like when Cornel Thompson left for three years. The drop off on defense, conditioning, and overall player conduct started to show immediately. CT was the off season training director for Coach Hooks all those years, and he continues in that role today. Even with the small enrollment numbers WO-S has, there are plenty of good football players walking the halls at the school. The reason many of them (but not all) don't play football is because they cannot keep up with the demands of practice and workouts required. At WO-S, if a new kid wants to try out for the team, they don't just give him an audition. The coaches tell him, "See if you can keep up with us at practice." When Cornel Thompson left to coach at Huntsville and Palestine, they (parents of players) did not like his ways of practice and workouts, therefore, he was made unwelcome and left. If parents are willing to allow the coaches to make them tough as marines, like Cornel has always done, then more teams would be successful on the field. This post is not meant to be a knock on PNG. As a long time follower of setx high school football, I have high respect for PNG football, history, tradition, and community support. But since some of the PNG fans here have brought up the subject of toughness and conditioning, I thought an explanation of the WO-S formula was merited. One of the PNG posters said earlier that WO-S plays physically "nasty"...which has truth to it. The hardest hits and tackles made last night were by WO-S. Faircloth just coaches more along a finesse style, which works for their players and skill sets. WO-S is based more on use of speed and physical play. 

The game last night was competitive and not sealed up until late in the 4th quarter. Both teams benefitted from playing this game and will be better because of it. Many of you PNG posters have shown much respect for WO-S. It is appreciated by WO-S fans. Let me return the favor and say that we are relieved to get out of the Reservation with a win. WO-S fans have much respect for your program and Coach Faircloth. Best wishes to your run at a district title. 

I was at the game and saw both block in the backs on that one punt return. They were both legit calls. The phantom offsides call on PNG after they recovered a fumble at the 40 was sketchy. Never saw a flag thrown and looked like it didn't come about until It was determined PNG had recovered.

I have several pictures of one of the WOS sidelines guys, standing on the 10, peering over the shoulder of the side judge.  They aren't supposed to be past the 25 YL.  And you can bet he was barking "Lined up offsides" or SOMETHING in his ear.  2 OS calls in a row?  After a good stop too.

Didn't change the outcome, but not the way the game is supposed to be played.

Griff

Fantastic post, the best post that I have ever read since I joined this site.  You are so correct WO-S fans do have a lot of respect for PNG dating back to when we were the West-Orange Chiefs. I have heard that “whatever doesn’t kill you will make you stronger” good luck PNG, Big NED, and Central this season, I will be a distant fan.