UIL rule change will allow 4 teams in 2A to make playoffs

Just an old mans opinion, but I don't like the four teams in the higher classifications, and it'll be even worse in 2A.  Knew nothing about 2A ball until I moved to Evadale a few years back.  A lot of the 2A schools, at least in this area Div II, don't seem to put much emphasis on sports, especially girls.  Our Volleyball team did not lose a set during Dist play last year.  Glad for our girls, but feel bad for the others.  Several times we cheered when other teams score in girls basketball.  Four teams?  Nope. 

Seems like I read 16 forth place teams beat Dist winners in playoffs. Look at that this way:   They were only forth best in their Dist.   And those 16 Dist winners who lost, those Dist are sending 3 more teams and their forth place is almost certainly not playoff material (Scarbourgh an extreme example).  This disparity compounds in 2A, where you have so few boys, and so few quality coaches.  For those not familiar with 2A, my G'daughters Senior class only has 30 students.  Being from Vidor it boggled my mind.  On the plus side, i think the students are closer.  

HD has a chance

​It will be tough, HD's numbers have fell off big time. HD is also in one of the toughest Districts in 2A. Centerville made another deep run to be a State Semi-Finalist, Groveton is always a power, Anderson Shiro is up and coming with so many good athletes, Lovelady is always salty. I really look for Anderson-Shiro to fight CV for the District Championship. HD does have some salty kids coming back, we will see, the extra spot helps.

Percentage of "quality" coaches stays consistent throughout the classifications.  As for volleyball, the Woodlands did the same thing in the highest classification two years ago when they only lost 2 or 3 sets all year.

Sounds like an awesome team.  How far did they go in the playoffs?

Reason I ask, I think we lost our third game.  We had a very good team, but obviously not a world beater.  Our girls play in a very weak Dist. Luck (or bad luck if you want your team to stay sharp) of the draw. 

I am surprised about the quality of coaching, although Evadale has an excellent group.  And I'm glad I was wrong.  Wish all kids had quality coaches.  

All you have to do is get in the dance at the end of the season. Whether you get in through the front door or the doggie door is inconsequential. But you could very easily have a situation where an 0-10, 1-9, or 2-8 team making the playoffs out of some of the smaller districts in West Texas......

​Just looked at all of 2A and most of the 32 districts are only 6 teams. I think 1 has 8 teams, 3 have 7 (Gorman in 2A-II 8 got smart), and 6 have 5 (two of which are valley districts). 2A is actually better suited for 4 teams than 4A and West Texas will not have any teams make with less than 2 wins.

Overall this helps the first place teams because they don't have to sit around for a week. And think if they had a bye in Week 10(1), two weeks off while the other teams gets a competitive game. Its a mental thing. The first place team should win, but this will help during week 2. Of course there could be a district (2A-I 7) where all four will win and then it is good. It seems like it is numbers and that the UIL is soft, but it does give the smaller towns another week of watching football and hosting a reunion before the contact sport season begins.

I agree, RaiderRed. I have never been a fan of the bye week anyway. Look what the bye week did for my WS squad last year. Just thinking there might be a Scarborough-esque situation potentially developing in some of the smaller districts(i.e.District 7, 2A D1)....

District 7 is one where I think all 4 can win. The district cross plains is in is worrisome if they make it. That could be very interesting. 

Sounds like an awesome team.  How far did they go in the playoffs?

Reason I ask, I think we lost our third game.  We had a very good team, but obviously not a world beater.  Our girls play in a very weak Dist. Luck (or bad luck if you want your team to stay sharp) of the draw. 

I am surprised about the quality of coaching, although Evadale has an excellent group.  And I'm glad I was wrong.  Wish all kids had quality coaches.  

​They won state.  That included all the way through the playoffs.