Bridge City job open

​cmon just say most choose to play 1. Baseball 2. Football 

Unless band counts as a sport. :)

Especially 1.  But that's just how it is there.  Baseball is king from the time they can walk.  Heck, sometimes 2. does not come into play because of 1.  Shugart was a very good football player but chose to play baseball only this year (had some injury issues in the past).  Who can blame him when his future is on the diamond?

But I am sure Dubois will make a good hire.  Hard to argue with his hire at HJ last year ;)

​cmon just say most choose to play 1. Baseball 2. Football

Unless band counts as a sport. :)

​I have a kid in band and athletics. He played basketball his freshman year, which starts before marching season is over, and we were in the marching band "playoffs", preparing for Area. He went to basketball practice before school, had the 4th period basketball class, and then would go march for a couple hours then run over to after school basketball practice. Coach made him stay after practice to run and shoot extra because he was late to practice. Somehow the before school and during class wasn't enough. I questioned why the football players that were in the playoffs that weren't even going to basketball practice, why they weren't having to run. Oh, neither were the cross country runners that were missing the before school practice. "Band doesn't count." Needless to say, kiddo didn't play basketball after that year. He did it just for fun, we aren't a basketball powerhouse, and he's not trying to get college looks.

So there's your answer, band doesn't count. Unless you're a band kid/parent....it's kind of a big deal. Oh, and don't mind our mess ....we just don't have anywhere else to put our trophies, there's just too many! ;)

It's a valid question. He missed several band practices for baseball....he has to practice on his own, on his own time. He missed opportunities at solos for concerts and did not perform to his highest ability at UIL contests. But that's my kid....he wants and tries to do it all. He'll learn....

My point from my original post was that the other athletes were excused from missing basketball practice....the band kids were not. The question was "does band count as a sport." It does not. But kids will make choices....sports or band or academics. Like I said, they'll learn they can't do it all. But why not try when you're young and have unlimited energy and trying to figure out their direction for life?

Personally I think it's great for kids to be involved in multiple activities/sports.  That's one of the great things about small-to-medium sized high schools.  It would be nice if the different coaches and/or directors could find a way to work together better, but it just doesn't always happen.  And once you hit that level, it becomes the kid's choice as to what they want to do if they are forced to choose. 

Baseball coach and band director worked together for him this year. He was still pulled in different directions at times, but for the most part, it worked out okay. Much better than his basketball.

You don't see many kids that go both athletics and band...and are successful at both. So sometimes the coaches and director don't really know how to handle it. BC has more than a few musical athletes this year and more to come as our enrollment grows each year, so I'm sure they will learn how to make it all work. While there have been a couple of moments of frustration, it's not been a bad experience for us. And he's having a blast!

I don't want to come across as bashing or speaking too negatively about Coach Knight and his program. He was always very nice and professional when I spoke to him about this issue. Even pulled my kiddo aside and talked to him about the situation. While we disagreed, it was never ugly. My youngest son just finished up at the basketball camp Knight coordinates and he had a blast. I'm glad that he plans to stay with BC and wish him luck in the future.

• 1 month later...