Dayton Past/Present

liltex

HC Stewart 07-2010 (last 4 yrs=2 undefeated dist titles=08 (7-0) defense rank #3 & 2010 (7-0) defense rank # 1,co-dist title 2007 (6-1) (1 loss) 8-7 Lumberton defense rank #1 allow mere 28 tot pts in dist w/4 shutouts *Dist runner up 2009 (6-1)defense rank #1 **4 year dist record =26-2  overall 4 yr record= 44-13 ***playoff wins=14 w/state fialist. 2008,semi-finalist 2007,4th rd app. 2009,3rd rd app 2010.Those 4 yrs the team that knocked Dayt out of playoffs 2 won state=LT,Sulph Sprgs,2 were state finalist=Brenham,LaMarque.****5 playoff wins since(Liv-Png-Mag West-Lcm-Png),no defense or dist titles.Everyone knows my house is purple/white tho I have no kids/grandkids in DISD but I support w/both thumbs & 7 fingers the other finger don't know where point on stat sheet,rankings,scholarships.Hate/Luv@65 I'm just hoping for a few more great days as a fan :wub:

As a diehard Bronco fan it is frustrating to watch the systematic demise of our once proud football program in Dayton TX. Fan attendance going down ( in spite of town growth) more kids quitting and even more choosing not to participate because they don't like what they see.  Not to mention we had a half dozen kids that were shoe in for Scholarships and not one kid landed one from Dayton not McBride, Keener , Chambers not one ! just goes to show you what hard work and dedication will get you in D.IS.D. And I think the public will be interested to know that the Athletic dept. has done away with all football "booster club's "  starting 2015 ( is that even legal) are we going to let this happen in our community !

Pretty interesting thread. I think this outlines the difference in expectations between the good teams over here compared to our friends across the river with the exception of WOS and maybe Ned. Dayton wins 6 playoff games in 5 years but the roof is caving in, while PNG can't win any but their program is considered to be heading in the right direction. Lots of people in Dayton think Hancock is not that good of a coach(I agree compared to Stewart), but he's been to the third round once(maybe twice in '10?) and has back to back one point 2nd round losses with one being to the state runner-up. He's won at least 8 games every year except one he's been a head coach and that year he went 6-6 with the one point loss to Brenham. Matthews would get a statue in Vidor if he did that, heck they might build him one anyway for his average record of 4-6.

There's a few of things Dayton fans have to take into consideration when talking about their perceived "demise" of Bronco football. For one, rarely does any team have a run like Dayton did toward the end of Stew's tenure. Two, Dayton probably had their most talented teams of all-time during that stretch with Dugat being an all-American, Cody Green being a 4 star qb and guys like Ripkowski for filler. There weren't and still aren't many 5A teams with that type of talent. Third is the enrollment. Dayton used to be in the top third or at least no lower than the middle in district enrollment, at the next realignment they're almost sure to be the smallest school in the district which is a competitive disadvantage. In 22-5A Dayton probably would have won the district with all that being said.

Lastly, Hancock isn't Stewart. Dayton fans, welcome to Crosby's frustration circa Jimmy Dickey and Kevin Flannigan.

Just thought I should add in also Keener's recruiting profile. He was the best receiver in the district this year and rated a 3 star prospect. The reason he didn't sign is probably not the same reason McBride didn't sign. 945 yards and 14 tds in only 45 catches, that's about legit as it gets with his size included.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jacarius-Keener-30259

I don't know all the in's and outs of what it takes or the protocol for a student athlete to garner a scholarship but do know there was enough SR. talent to qualify for some from  Dayton. What does Crosby do to help their SR.'s out ?

They have Coach Mann. 

I watched Dayton play before stewert got there and then as he built that program. He was one of a kind. It will be hard to replace any coach like him. They may have the talent, but not the proper direction. I know when he was there, they would beat you up on the field. I was super impressed with what he did. With Neumann getting older, I'm afraid nederland may fall into that category if they hire the wrong person for the job. Just a look from afar

I don't know all the in's and outs of what it takes or the protocol for a student athlete to garner a scholarship but do know there was enough SR. talent to qualify for some from Dayton. What does Crosby do to help their SR.'s out ?

Coach Mann works tirelessly to get the kids who want to play at the next level whether it's D2, D3, or Juco. Constantly sending out film and making calls for these kids!

Dayton has produced maybe the biggest turnaround in State history. The last 20 years Dayton has built a dominant winning football tradition and program. Most folks don't realize that Dayton had mostly losing seasons for roughly 25 years or more, prior to 1996. From 1996 to present, Dayton has been one of the top programs in the State, as far as winning games. Talk about a culture change. Dayton has won 57% of their games all-time. Great turn around Dayton.

I watched Dayton play before stewert got there and then as he built that program. He was one of a kind. It will be hard to replace any coach like him. They may have the talent, but not the proper direction. I know when he was there, they would beat you up on the field. I was super impressed with what he did. With Neumann getting older, I'm afraid nederland may fall into that category if they hire the wrong person for the job. Just a look from afar

I don't think Neumann ever has or will reach Strewart's level but I inderstand the concern. Stew could do it with whatever he had to work with, Neumann makes runs when he has an exorbitant amount of talent which is why I think Ned is already in a worse situation that Dayton is currently in. Neither is a bad situation per se, I just think Dayton has a little more going for them right now. Currently I think there's several coaches I would take over Neumann, not sure that has been the case in the recent past.

I don't think Neumann ever has or will reach Strewart's level but I inderstand the concern. Stew could do it with whatever he had to work with, Neumann makes runs when he has an exorbitant amount of talent which is why I think Ned is already in a worse situation that Dayton is currently in. Neither is a bad situation per se, I just think Dayton has a little more going for them right now. Currently I think there's several coaches I would take over Neumann, not sure that has been the case in the recent past.

Wrong on both counts.   Neumann already has more wins overall and has made deep runs even with the "lesser talent"  that he supposedly has, including knocking Dayton out of the playoffs several times.   

Wrong on both counts.   Neumann already has more wins overall and has made deep runs even with the "lesser talent"  that he supposedly has, including knocking Dayton out of the playoffs several times.

I was hoping someone from Ned would disagree. Tex beat me to it already but if you would, please put Neumann's record and winning percentage up for the time he's been coaching. He has more wins because he's coached longer but we can check the winning percentage and playoff history. I think Stew missed the playoffs his first year and never again, Neumann has missed them several times if I'm correctin my beliefs.

LilTex, can you put up Stew's total record so we can compare? Looks like there might be a couple of facts that need to be laid out.

Stewart - 164- 72- 3 -  .686 WP -19 playoff appearences  (1996 first one)

Neumann - 174- 82- 1 .680 WP  - 19 playoff appearences (1993 first one)

Neumann - 23 -19 in the playoffs .548 WP (2-0) vs Stewart in the playoffs

Stewart -  20-14 in the playoffs   .588 WP   (0-2) vs Neumann in the playoffs

Pretty comparable statistically.

Stewart - 164- 72- 3 - .686 WP -19 playoff appearences (1996 first one)

Neumann - 174- 82- 1 .680 WP - 19 playoff appearences (1993 first one)

Neumann - 23 -19 in the playoffs .548 WP (2-0) vs Stewart in the playoffs

Stewart - 20-14 in the playoffs .588 WP (0-2) vs Neumann in the playoffs

Pretty comparable statistically.

Actually it's not. Stewart didn't coach 19 years at Dayton, he retired after the 2010 season. Neumann has coached 7 or 8 years longer than Stewart did and that time had more wins, playoff appearances and playoff wins. He should also have a higher winning percentage. We'll wait for LilTex to post the proper information though.

Actually it's not. Stewart didn't coach 19 years at Dayton, he retired after the 2010 season. Neumann has coached 7 or 8 years longer than Stewart did and that time had more wins, playoff appearances and playoff wins. He should also have a higher winning percentage. We'll wait for LilTex to post the proper information though.

Try again.  Like I said that green eyed monster is getting to you.   He coached 20 years,  and actually has been a head coach longer (started at Clear Lake). Neumann has been there 22 years and the percentages are right.  Here is the site that I get all of the info.  

http://texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/coaches_records_-_neil.html

http://texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/coaches_-_r_roberts.html

Try again. Like I said that green eyed monster is getting to you. He coached 20 years, and actually has been a head coach longer (started at Clear Lake). Neumann has been there 22 years and the percentages are right. Here is the site that I get all of the info.

BigDog, you'd have better luck climbing Mt Everest buck-naked than trying to win an argument with Coog2. Don't you know he is always right.

Try again.  Like I said that green eyed monster is getting to you.   He coached 20 years,  and actually has been a head coach longer (started at Clear Lake). Neumann has been there 22 years and the percentages are right.  Here is the site that I get all of the info.  

During the time Stewart was at Dayton which is what I was talking about here are the numbers from the site you provided.

Stewart - 132-57= .698 win percentage with 14 consecutive playoff appearances including the title game in '06

Neumann - 117-58-1= .664 win percentage with 12 playoff appearances, 0 title games

Not sure what you mean by green-eyed glasses but thank you for making my argument for me.

During the time Stewart was at Dayton which is what I was talking about here are the numbers from the site you provided.

Stewart - 132-57= .698 win percentage with 14 consecutive playoff appearances including the title game in '06

Neumann - 117-58-1= .664 win percentage with 12 playoff appearances, 0 title games

Not sure what you mean by green-eyed glasses but thank you for making my argument for me.

I figured you would try to fit the stats to your argument when they didn't work out for you the first time , since that wasn't your original statement.  Here it is in case you forgot.   Also, you left of about 60 wins for Neumann.  (accidentally i am sure. ) :)