Mid Term Election Results

PhatMack19

By the end of tonight, the Republican party will hold a 53-seat majority in the Senate. If Mary Landrieu falls in the Louisiana runoff as I expect she will, that majority will increase to 54 seats. That's a ten seat swing, and two more seats than even the most favorable polls gave the Republicans in this mid-term election.

On the state level, I couldn't be happier to see the twenty point clobbering that Greg Abbott gave Wendy Davis, and I hope that sends a clear signal to all of the rich Democrat PACs from other parts of the country that have been pouring money into our state.

It was a really good night.

One of our frequent flyers on the Democrat's side of this forum said a few months ago said that the Republicans were a sinking ship. It looks like that sinking ship just torpedoed the USS Obama. 

On the comic side, I had to turn on MSNBC and watch their late coverage and I am glad that I did not watch them during the actual counting of votes because watching them, I thought the Democrats had won. Then they had about a 20 minute discussion about raising the minimum wage and showed New Hampshire Senator Jeanne Shaheen after her "huge" 52% win as an incumbent in a liberal state and she was talking about pushing (yet again) for the higher minimum wage with her stunning 2% victory. 

HUH? It kinds of reminds me of the Cpl Hudson (Bill Paxton) in the movie Aliens after they had just fought their way out of the compound against hordes of aliens and he told a guy (and I have to clean it up for this forum), "Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events pal but we just got our butts kicked!!". 

Here's a tip Jeanne, your party had a super majority in both houses that the Republicans could not stop as they did not have enough votes to even filibuster in the Senate. You also had the presidency and that two branch sweep that was unstoppable... yet you and they did nothing. Well...... they did pass Obamacare which coincidentally is likely the reason that you just got smashed on what Obama a few weeks ago called, a referendum on his policies. 

The most important part of this Senate victory is not legislation per se because Obama will simply veto almost any bill sent. The huge victory is that Obama can get no treaties passed, no cabinet appointments and no federal judges including the Supreme Court without Republican consent. He has refused to compromise or even get involved legislatively. Now he is completely neutered unless he makes some kinds of concessions. It is also interesting that Harry Reid changed the long time rules and threw away the 60 votes required by Senate to bring something to a floor vote and used the so called "nuclear option" requiring only a majority vote to end any filibuster on nominations. We now he is faced with the fact that the Republicans will use the rules change to shove it right back in their face. 

Oh yeah, thank you Obama for giving the Republicans the most representatives in the US House in history. Not even during the heyday of the Republicans and their contract with America did they hold as many seat as they will come January when the new Congress is sworn in. 

And one last time, Jimmy Carter is so glad that Obama has proven to be the worst president at least in modern history as even Carter never lost the Senate until Ronald Reagan beat him in 1980 (he never lost the House even in losing to Reagan). 

So much for that sinking ship................ 

I would like to also comment on the "sinking ship" contention. Yes, Mr. Obama is President.

However, the Republicans have had a substantial plurality in the Governorships across the country and had one before they took over last night in Maryland, Massachusetts, and Illinois which are three states that are about as Blue as possible.

I am sure last nights vote might make some minor changes, but up until then, the Republicans had a 28 to 17 advantage in control of state legislatures with the other 5 split.

No need to say much about the now Republican controlled senate because everyone is already aware of that.

The Republicans also added some more seats in the House of Representatives where they now have the largest control since World War II.

Perhaps "the war on women" and "you are a racist" are losing their effectiveness. Perhaps people are beginning to realize that every time the government gives you something, they have to take it away from someone else and the larger the "recipient" line becomes, the smaller the "productive giver" line becomes.

IMO - jobs should be the #1 focus if the Pubs want to ride the wave into and through 2016.

I believe the first things that need to be done, in no particular order.

1) Keystone - will create immediate jobs.

2) ILLEGAL immigration - this can easily be done, if it's on the back of saving JOBS for legal Americans.

3) Obamacare repeal - be it total repeal, or whatever...premiums need to get back under control and put that money back in the pockets of the middle class.

Like mentioned earlier, pass it, and dare him to veto....in doing so, the Pubs must repeat the words jobs and money for the American citizens and those here LEGALLY.

Why are you guys so excited? The President Is going to use his veto power and he will use executive orders to get what he wants. The republicans will see how it feels to have everything blocked. President Obana is going out in a blaze of glory. Fyi: hiliary is projected to win the presidency. Let the games begin. I love it.

This here is proof that you could never be a part of a solution while hanging around at the core of the problem. Blinded by hatred! Very sad.

I hope the republicans are ready to compromise, if not they are not going to get any of their bills passed. It is going to be very entertaining watching Ted Cruz undermine everything that Mitch McConnell tries to accomplish.

I hope the republicans are ready to compromise, if not they are not going to get any of their bills passed. It is going to be very entertaining watching Ted Cruz undermine everything that Mitch McConnell tries to accomplish.

And it will be even more fun watching Harry Reid become  so meaningless and irrelevant.