The Ridiculousness of Houston Scarborough making the Playoffs

Goblin

Currently 0-9 playing a non-district game next week against KIPP to try to prevent being the first 0-10 team to ever make the playoffs.

Scarborough vs Galena Park (1-8)  0-28 at Half             14-49 FINAL

Scarborough vs Hungtington (1-8)  0-56 at Half               6-56 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Sterling (3-6) 0-39 at Half         6-39 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Wheatley (4-5) 0-21 at Half       0-49 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Washington (3-6) 6-29 at Half 26-52 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Kashmere (7-3) 0-29 at Half      0-58 FINAL 

Scarborough vs LaMarque (9-1) 0-46 at Half                    0-66 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Worthing (3-7) 8-44 at Half     16-68 FINAL

Scarborough vs Houston Kashmere (7-3) 0-53 at Half     0-65 FINAL (yes they played twice)

Scarborough vs Houston KIPP Sunnyside (4-5) 11/7

Scarborough vs WOS (8-2) Bi-District ~11/14

They've currently lost 56 games in a row, have scored 14 points in the first half in 9 games combined before every team pulled their starters.  It seems more of a humiliation than an honor.

Just saying...

Only in the State of Texas.. This is the product of taking 4 teams from each district... Making the playoff isnt what it used to be...

Splitting the lower classifications ahead then sending four instead of two doubled everyones chances. Its ridiculous. Its embarrassing for some.
After 1st Q WOS will have its JV on the field and it still could end up a 90 point route.

I just dont understand this . I thought the point of getting to play in the playoffs was you have to WIN . Now you will have teams with losing records complain about an 0-10 team in the playoffs . back in the day you had teams that played 7 district games and if you lost 1 game you may not make the playoffs. Hell , you may share the district title and not make payoffs so i could see 2 teams from the district going . Just think of how many teams up until 1982 could have won state titles or had long playoff runs if 2 teams per district could go too the playoffs ? Many teams going 9-1 , 8-2 didnt make the playoffs , nowadays you have teams getting in with losing records , and now a winless team ? Ridiculous !!! But we should expect this because now you have All district Picks that use to be about 13-14 per offense and defensive players on both sides of the ball make 1st team . Nowadays you have 24-26 players on just one team . which is almost 50 players total on the offense and defense . Then that same amount on the second team and Lets not talk about honarable mentions . that would mean every kid that suits up makes an honor ? Can you say watered down !! So with that being said i guess in a few years every team in every district will be elgible for the playoffs no matter if you earn it or not .

Guest ECBucFan

5+ years ago I was telling everyone on this board that the UIL's ultimate goal is to have every 0-10 team in the "playoffs". A stepping stone to that is to split divisions (that doubled the teams), then make up 5 team districts where 4 go in. Print up them T-shirts.

Not 100% yet, but the UIL is well on its way to socialized Texas High school football.

Watered down, Texas high school football playoffs are a joke .. They split up the divisions so much that a lot of good games will never be seen and the level of competition has dropped off . Years from now they will look back and realize there greed destroyed high school football in Texas. State titles worth less than ever and playoff appearances mean nothing . ($$$$$ root of all evil)

There is something drastically wrong with any playoff system that allows an 0-10 in the playoffs. :angry:

Even if Scarborough happens to beat KIPP this Friday, they still failed to win a single district game. You know, the one's that actually count towards teams qualifying for the post season. :rolleyes:

Like the title of the thread states, just plain ridiculous!!!!!

Hold on now....Their district also has Jones in it, which would give everyone in that district 4 district games;   did Jones fold their football program or something?  If that's the case get on Houston Jones for not fielding a team, if they were still playing atleast the 4th place team from that district would have a win which is the same thing we will have with the loser of OF/HF 

Hold on now....Their district also has Jones in it, which would give everyone in that district 4 district games;   did Jones fold their football program or something?  If that's the case get on Houston Jones for not fielding a team, if they were still playing atleast the 4th place team from that district would have a win which is the same thing we will have with the loser of OF/HF 

Houston Jones school no longer exists. HISD shut the school down this summer.

Im guessing a few people complained to the UIL, the UIL then decided lets get more teams involved... Walla  more playoff teams... I had a mom tell me while I was coaching Little League that I should tell the kids after a loss... "we are all winners"... Thats not true, you win or you lose... And thats the bottom line... Adding more teams to the playoff was another idea that has changed football for the bad.. I agree 2 state champions in each classification is dumb.. But im sure it makes more $$$$....

UIL gets 15% of ticket sales of every single high school playoff game. Do the math. ;) :rolleyes:

In 4AD2, looks like there is a total of 65 playoff games. If the number of games in all classifications are the same, thats 15% of 715 football games. Dayum!!!! Unless my math is wrong. LOL

OK, I included 1A(6 man). So lets say there is an average of 10k fans(probably high side) at $10 per ticket. $100k per game x 598 games. Thats $59,800,000. UIL gets $8.97million. WOW!!

*EDIT. I guess I was a little liberal with my attendance/ticket cost. LOL!!!

Let's say the average ticket is $6 and the average attendance is 5,000. UIL's 15% of the gate of those 598 games comes to $2,990,000.

I actually think I may have low balled on average price and attendance.

UIL will definitely make 3 mil+ this post season.

when i added it up i used $5, 5000 people and 600 games.

that put them making 2,250,000 million.

so on a bad year they are making 2+ million for doing nothing.

i would like to know what the money is used for.