An interesting event before the Central/West Brook game

Should they have shaken hands? Yes.
Should Mike Neil be butt hurt? No.
Conflict resolved moving on

These are pretty much my sentiments.

The coaches and administrators who work for BISD and Central are the ones to handle or not handle the situation.  If the coaches dont correct the players for not shaking hands then the issue will rightly be up to the residents and school board of BISD to address. Adults should know better than to address comments to kids and then become involved in a war of words with them later.  This was an incident between players and the players had it settled on the field before adults (and I'm including those at the paper) got involved. Thats the way it should be.

Being that my son is the only Westbrook player shown with his hand out to shake hands with the Central player's I feel that it is my duty to say something!

1. This game has been played for many of years between the two schools and then three I think and it has always been a lot of chatter and intimidation antics before the game.

2. Every child is not a thug and every act of defiance is not thuggish! Take Michael Phelps weed problems for example!

3. PJ and my son are very good friends and talk all the time and played 7 on 7 several times this summer! Most of these kids have grown up together and have played on the same team at some point in their young lives.

4. Look At The End Of The Game And You Will See My Son, PJ, And Another Westbrook Kid Hug And Say Encouraging Words For The Rest Of Their Season!

Leave Those Kids Alone Guys!!!

I thought the Central players were wrong in not shaking the hands. But Mike Neil has no business making his comments neither. Just inciting the situation.

IMO, if the Central players wanted to be "all tough and intimidating" during the captain hand shake, then those players should look their opponents in the eyes, shake their hand and state, "We are going to beat you". Not looking at the ground with hands behind your back looking meek.

I agree, probably much a do about nothing. But a simple hand shake would have nipped this all in the bud and BE and I would have had to post about something else. ;) :D

I think there a comment made by one of his buddies and call them thugs. Neil didn't say it himself, but you can see what he implied. There was non of his friends or Neil himself that corrected or call out that jackass for calling those kids thugs.

And Mouse, I understand completely what you're saying about respecting adults.... But Jacquet wasn't talking directly to Neil or any adult. He went to Twitter and was conversing with his peers. He didn't like it and he was telling his friends.

I think there a comment made by one of his buddies and call them thugs. Neil didn't say it himself, but you can see what he implied. There was non of his friends or Neil himself that corrected or call out that jackass for calling those kids thugs.

And Mouse, I understand completely what you're saying about respecting adults.... But Jacquet wasn't talking directly to Neil or any adult. He went to Twitter and was conversing with his peers. He didn't like it and he was telling his friends.

Neil wasn't talking directly to the kids either. So what's the differce?

Mr. Davis you are absolutely right. I jumped PJ's Butt for them making a bonehead decision to do this right before the coin toss. These kids are all really good friends and have mutual respect for one another. I saw Pj Keith and Demarcus shaking hands and talking Thursday night. I also noticed on twitter pj and Ozen #25 congratulating one another on there performances, along with several other players from rival school. I'm not saying what they did was right because they should have shaken hands with Westbrook. I can assure you it had nothing to do with disliking them or not respecting them, but like I told Pj perception is everything and that gesture was perceived to be unsportsmanlike and that's where they went wrong.

All four Central players are honor roll students with Bright futures ahead of them. They made a dumb decision plain and simple, but bad decision come with consequences. I just hope it's not a death sentence. We all make mistakes.

I know people don't like me on this board and I don't care, but I gotta side with neil on this. now is it a big deal??? well I have been taught since I was a child and I teach it and instill it in my own kids...PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING!! especially when the media is present. I don't agree with jacquet tone and words towards an adult. i'm old school. right or wrong, as a CHILD you shut your mouth and say nothing at all or reply with no sir/maam yes sir/maam. perception comes into play again with the not shaking hands when a D-1 school trying to recruit your dumb behind and you not showing sportsmanship. these people at the college and pro level are coming down on attitude or ANYTHING hinting to trouble. instead of intimidating(obviously it didn't work) shake hands show you are a good kid. now had something happened, like a brawl on the field, who you think the UIL would have came down on?? oh and if you going to be all hard, how about look the brook players eye to eye instead of looking at the ground...I know these are kids, but that was a gash move...soulja u my boy, but that's foul and toby needs to be slapped with a big wet open hand!!!

Good post

Oh, and after reading the young man's tweets it looks like they need to double down on grammar classes at the Medical Magnet

YALE has offered him, I bet no one in your family was offered a scholarship. And if you DONT know those types of schools only offer ACADEMIC Scholarships with the intent for the kid to play on their sporting teams. CORRECT THAT!!!!!!

@dimlaws - Yes I understand Bro on the perception of it. Especially with all of the colleges that are in the market for his talent but they said some of that same crap in the year of the Olympics when the black guys held their fists in the air! Your son is an impressive young man and is going to do great things! I just want these guys to understand that every black kid is not a thug and their are black fathers who are investing values into their kids! All of them are kids and will make some mistakes throughout their lives. Simply put that is what builds character! Where would I be without peaks and valleys!!! 

I know people don't like me on this board and I don't care, but I gotta side with neil on this. now is it a big deal??? well I have been taught since I was a child and I teach it and instill it in my own kids...PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING!! especially when the media is present. I don't agree with jacquet tone and words towards an adult. i'm old school. right or wrong, as a CHILD you shut your mouth and say nothing at all or reply with no sir/maam yes sir/maam. perception comes into play again with the not shaking hands when a D-1 school trying to recruit your dumb behind and you not showing sportsmanship. these people at the college and pro level are coming down on attitude or ANYTHING hinting to trouble. instead of intimidating(obviously it didn't work) shake hands show you are a good kid. now had something happened, like a brawl on the field, who you think the UIL would have came down on?? oh and if you going to be all hard, how about look the brook players eye to eye instead of looking at the ground...I know these are kids, but that was a gash move...soulja u my boy, but that's foul and toby needs to be slapped with a big wet open hand!!!

Why are adults following MJ III on tweeter? just asking

if you let your grades do your talking all of you on this site can say what you want!!! I understand everything you adults are saying but they are kids and if you dont know that was probably the second time the coin was flipped. I also can say with all my heart that they shook hands the first time under the goal post while you adults and the media were looking for a dry spot, a coin flip was going on. FYI, a coin flip and the shaking of hads take place twice, so to get the real story contact the head REF and ask him what happened the first time. Just saying!!!!

if you let your grades do your talking all of you on this site can say what you want!!! I understand everything you adults are saying but they are kids and if you dont know that was probably the second time the coin was flipped. I also can say with all my heart that they shook hands the first time under the goal post while you adults and the media were looking for a dry spot, a coin flip was going on. FYI, a coin flip and the shaking of hads take place twice, so to get the real story contact the head REF and ask him what happened the first time. Just saying!!!!

If you care to take a closer look of the pic in the article, you will see that this was the first meeting of the captains off the field where they actually do the coin flip. You are correct in the fact there are two "coin flip" meetings with the captains. The one at midfield is just ceremonial. The "no shaking of the hands" took place in the endzone in the first meeting of captains.

So, what does your heart say now? ;) :rolleyes:

nah really??? all these years I thought the ref was asking them what's the next video game coming out....smh....obviously u missed the boat and why our race is doomed...if toby knew about this before hand, he need his arse kicked. with all thses so called D-1 athletes, they have to know they must be on best behavior. it was a mistake, yes, but make it a big deal due to the fact all eyes on you. ...friends or not, it's a coward move. further more why pretend to be  something you are not?? that's worse than being a thug...means you  are not a leader, but a damn follower.

I preach to my kids about social media. Once you put something on it, you can't take it back. More and more employers are taking to digging around on it and finding out alot more than you put on your application. I don't know if Colleges are utilizing it yet, but why take the chance. Be above all that!

Unbelievable how people want to crucify 17 year olds for making a mistake I only know one perfect man and he's not writing comments on this site. So for all you perfect people our there, they were wrong and that shouldn't
have happened, but the Character attacks are not necessary especially when you don't Know them...... Let them take there punishment and lay this to rest. This is ridiculous !

Unbelievable how people want to crucify 17 year olds for making a mistake I only know one perfect man and he's not writing comments on this site. So for all you perfect people our there, they were wrong and that shouldn't
have happened, but the Character attacks are not necessary especially when you don't Know them...... Let them take there punishment and lay this shit to rest. This is ridiculous !

NUMBER ONE PROBLEM RIGHT HERE!!! so later when little johnny does something dumb, you gonna post his graduation pic and pic of him from the 3rd grade on social media...all im saying hold them accountable early and stop down playing stuff no matter how small it is, especially when you are chosen to be in a leadership role.

Mouse, I totally understand where you are coming from. I think the kids were't trying to be disrespectful to each other, more of a game face; intimidation competitive sort of thing. Let's remember lots of these kids grew up & went to School together before HS. They are friends & the competitive nature took over & caused an error in judgement. I don't condone not shaking hands before & afterwards; neither do I like constant barking & on field antics. The point you're trying to make is obvious, but we still must understand we are dealing with kids. They made a mistake, let's Teach & not Repeat.
To Mr Dimlaws, I regret what I posted as a little inside humor the other Day. I never intended to insult you or your Family. Please know I may be considered many things, but undermining kids isn't one of them. I'll inbox you to discuss things further. If I unknowingly wronged you on this site, I'm man enough to apologize here also.
#may have gone too far

Let's drop the pretense and call this what it really is: one more flashing point for a growing divide in the Beaumont community that centers on all things BISD.

Was it right for those kids from Central to refuse to shake hands? Absolutely not. Should they be taught a lesson? Yes, but by the Central coaches, not by a former school board member (who I agree with on most BISD issues, by the way) publicly shaming them on Facebook.

Why do y'all think those kids refused to shake hands? Do you think it might have something to do with all of the fighting going on between the the adults in the different factions in Beaumont? Because I think that's exactly what it is. And frankly, those conflicts are going to remain long after the state returns the district to local control unless something is done to improve social relations in that town. If not, I can guarantee you that BISD will fall right back into the same sorry shape it was in before the Board of Managers came in to clean things up. A community leader who played a major role in that divisiveness mounting that kind of an attack on a group of teenagers via social media does absolutely nothing to help that district or that community, and only serves to inflame already extremely high tensions. What's worse is that one generation's fight can very easily become the next generation's bitter war; in other words, the anger that you're seeing among the parents in BISD right now could very easily become entrenched in the students of BISD, which will make this animosity a chronic, generational issue for Beaumont well into the future. What you saw in that video is an example of that process well underway.

The only way this is ever going to get solved in the long term is if the people on both sides put aside the animus, start taking responsibility for their own and actually try to bind up the wounds. That's the only way we can count on the mess to stay cleaned up after the Board of Managers is gone. Otherwise, turning the district back over to local control will be tantamount to reopening old wounds rubbing salt in wounds that were never properly bound up to begin with.

I have no problem with them not shaking hands at a coin flip. Ive been to a hell of alot of rivalry games and seen this same thing happen and it was never blown out of proportion like this. Only reason this is a story is because its BISD.

I think alot of it goes on before the game , on twitter and other social outlets. Trash talking at a whole new level. Maybe the coaches should ban all that during the season. I don't know how many kids and players we have on here, and for the most part, we as adults keep level heads....sometimes.