Police Officers...Are they being treated unfair?

thetragichippy

I posted some information on another thread and it seemed to either get lost in the messages or ignored......So, I thought it would get its own post.

There is a lot of negative information about police officers since this Furguson incident. So, I did a little research and this is what I came up with.

On average, local police forces kill 400 people every year in the Unites States, according to a seven-year FBI study.

About a fourth of those annual incidents — about 96 a year, or two every week — involve a white officer and a black victim, USA Today reported.

So, of all the officer shootings only 25% involve a white officer and a black victim...........

There was 11,078 gun involved homicides in 2013......96 involved a white officer and a black victim...that's  .86% of total homicides in the U.S......the 400 only make up 3.61% of all gun related homicides......

So, are police Officers being treated unfairly? Why the outrage? In Furguson they are trying to make it a hate crime....."that cop dreamed of killing a black man" posted by our very own Buddy Garrity (from a tweet he received) ......is that really worth posting? Again, white officers killing blacks is only 25% of ALL cop killings......

Thoughts? 

http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz3AhHGxclq

http://blogs.kqed.or...ng-the-numbers/

http://www.huffingto..._n_3639934.html

By focusing on just the racial aspect, the discussion becomes about whether Michael Brown’s death—or that of the other three unarmed black men who were killed by police in the U.S. within that month—is about discrimination or about police justification. Then we’ll argue about whether there isn’t just as much black-against-white racism in the U.S. as there is white-against-black. (Yes, there is. But, in general, white-against-black economically impacts the future of the black community. Black-against-white has almost no measurable social impact.) - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

By focusing on just the racial aspect, the discussion becomes about whether Michael Brown’s death—or that of the other three unarmed black men who were killed by police in the U.S. within that month—is about discrimination or about police justification. Then we’ll argue about whether there isn’t just as much black-against-white racism in the U.S. as there is white-against-black. (Yes, there is. But, in general, white-against-black economically impacts the future of the black community. Black-against-white has almost no measurable social impact.) - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

That is why he is an athlete and not a professor. 

When something sensational happens in the news or even when it happens on a personal level, people tend to make up or believe  their own statistics. 

A few years ago a guy fled from one of our officers in a vehicle, a felony. He called a couple of hours later to complain on the officer and give his explanation of why he ran (he was still not in custody). The man said that he fled in fear of his life because that officer is well known for beating up and killing people. He followed up with a statement something like, "Everyone knows that". As part of my preliminary investigation as a supervisor, I asked him to name the people that he has killed and beaten up because to my knowledge our department had not gotten a single report or complaint of abuse by the officer and we hadn't been involved in a deadly force situation in several years.... the last being before that officer was hired. The caller then went on to say that I was twisting his words and taking up for the officer. I said quite to the contrary, I have not said a single thing to take up for the officer and ask for his information to start what sounded like a serious investigation. I then told him that to verify that what he said, our entire conversation was on a recorded phone line (and it was). The next thing I heard?

CLICK!!

While that is but a single incident and has no bearing on any other investigation, it shows what I see at work no so infrequently. It is easy to spit out lies, accusations or even believed to be true assumptions. It is quite different to have facts to back them up.  

And what about valid abuse complaints? I witnessed abuse by an officer and he was terminated almost immediately and charges were submitted to the DA against the officer. 

Why does him being unarmed become the "phrase" ? Can't someone be unarmed and be the aggressor and quite possibly need to be shot? Why haven't there been calls from the honorable Jesse Jackson and less than honorable Al Sharpton for the rioters, most of which I doubt even live near the areas they are looting and destroying, to stand down and let the investigation to be done?